Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the group:

Now I did my searching on the site and most people say that the front strut bar doesn't do anything on our cars. But I got a Schnell bar and installed it and I really notice a change. It made my car oversteer a lot more. Not necessarily in a bad way, like I'm worried about it, but I can definitely break the back end loose a lot faster in turns.

My question is, and I know it's subjective to personal preference, is having some oversteer ok, or should I put it back to more neutral. I think I know what the answer is, but it's just so fun powersliding out of turns sometimes! ;)

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hmm, I really do not know how a strut bar would increase over steer...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure either, but it seems like it turns in much more quickly? And combined with power it breaks the backend loose? I don't know, but it's definitely different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Oversteer is a phenomenon that can occur in an automobile while attempting to corner or while already cornering. The car is said to oversteer when the rear wheels do not track behind the front wheels but instead slide out toward the outside of the turn. Oversteer can throw the car into a spin. The effect is opposite to that of understeer."

This is what I described, right?...The backend breaking loose?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what the deal is then. I've done no other suspension mods. It really feels like the front end is gripping much more than the rear now.

Whereas before, I always felt like it was neutral to slight understeer and I had a hard time breaking the rear end loose, I've had it break loose several times now (in corners). I don't know if this physically makes (or doesn't make) sense, but I swear this is what's happening! :eek:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
If it would help with the understeer in our cars, I am all for it. I am surprised how much the car understeers in relation to my S2000 with suspension mods. The same corners at the same speed create completely different reactions.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My understanding of strut braces is that they help maintain the static camber settings under hard cornering (not the same as suspension stiffening). This, in turn, may help maintain contact patch, thus providing slightly more grip. Gridsnap's experience seems consistent with this interpretation. If this is what's happening, then adding a rear strut bar may boost rear grip slightly.

What's most interesting about this case is that we've been led to believe that the addition of a front strut brace would not have a noticeable affect because it would be redundant with the bracing already built in. Yet some people still buy them for newer cars.

I used a front strut brace for tracking an '88 911, but removed it to autocross in stock class. I haven't used a front brace in any of my newer cars because I came to believe that adding one would not make a noticeable difference. The front brace did seem to help front grip on the '88 911 though.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I'm wondering if the alignment changed (at least the camber) when the OP installed the strut bar, and perhaps that changed the handling characteristics?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My understanding of strut braces is that they help maintain the static camber settings under hard cornering (not the same as suspension stiffening). This, in turn, may help maintain contact patch, thus providing slightly more grip. Gridsnap's experience seems consistent with this interpretation. If this is what's happening, then adding a rear strut bar may boost rear grip slightly.
+1 on that. I changed my topmounts to alu uniball instead of rubber and had the same experience

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 08 rs60. I installed both the front and rear strut braces. In my case I felt minimal increased stiffness in the front, however in the rear the difference is more then I could hope for, any minor cowl shake in hard cornering which was present totally disappeared. Highly recomend REAR strut brace.
In terms of over/under steer, I did not feel an appreciable difference.
:cheers:

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,648 Posts
Subjective perception is so hard to quantify. I find it hard to believe it could make a measurable change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Jeff, here are a few pics. If you've never seen one before, the plastic fits over the bar.

Yeah, perhaps I threw the balance of grip out of neutral by adding JUST a front strut bar. I'm just not sure if it's what I want. I realize a little understeer might be safer and ultimately faster in corners, but not as fun as sliding the rear out once in a while.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Could it be that you adjusted your front camber and therefore changed the way car handles?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tomasz, sure that's possible...but not intentional ;)
I'm not sure how much you need to change the camber to affect this sort of change. But then again, adding the strut bar wasn't really supposed to do much either. I just know that it's quicker to turn in, and it's a similar feeling that I had in my old e36 MCoupe when I added a strut bar to it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
How do you adjust / install it? i have it too from previous owner...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was pretty simple actually. I just unscrewed the two nuts on the struts, installed the end pieces, leaving them loose. Then installed the bar in-between the end pieces, then tightened the end pieces. There wasn't much adjustment at all.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
How did you tighten the bar? Hand, or a special wrench?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts