Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I posted in another thread concerning another topic, I hit what I have dubbed as "Satan's Pothole". It required a new tire and after having it checked over by the dealer, new front strut mounts. They stated it may require struts as well, but that cannot be determined until repairs are underway. I have already purchased OE strut mounts as well as new bearings. I plan on tackling this job this weekend but I have only done this job on a Honda civic, although it was an almost identical job. I know what you are thinking, I am a pothole magnet, apparently :mad:... Does that make me a potholehead? As far as tools go, it looks like the only "specialized" tool/equipment that I would need would be something to compress the springs.

I am hoping to hear from you vets that have worked on these suspensions before.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Cadillac,
The other tool that is required is an impact driver to get the nut off the top of the strut and maybe a puller to separate the tie rod end. Using a fork will damage the rubber booty. You will have to disconnect and reconnect the sway bar to the strut but be sure you get it tight which requires a thin wrench to counter hold it. Mark the position of your strut mounts to avoid an alignment. It is like working on a Honda.

Rob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Rob! I think I will pick up a tie rod puller from o'reily's or sears. I think I am a bit confused though. I have read somewhere else that agrees with you that as long as you replace the strut mounts exactly, you should not need to get an alignment. But I thought that it was the tie rods that affected the alignment?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If you remove the tie rod ends without changing their lengths you won't be altering the toe setting. You will want to mark the position of the strut threads where they came up through the body in the strut towers. The slotted holes allow camber to be set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. So the tie rods effect the toe in or out and the strut mount position effects the camber? I honestly never knew how the shop adjusted the alignment when I would take a car in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I seem to be stuck. I have taken off the three nuts holding the strut mount to the body mount. I have take the bolt out of the lower control arm to allow some wiggle. And I have take off the sway bar drop link but i still cannot get it out. I cannot get my spring compressors in with the strut still in place so I thought I would drop the assembly out first then compress the spring and then take the strut mount off. Is this wrong?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks it was simpler than I was trying to make it. I didn't understand that you had to remove the top nut on the strut before the assembly would drop. Once I did that it was cake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts