Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again all!

So after replacing both front strut mounts and bearings- post pothole- I have now been hearing a creaking noise coming from the front suspension. I believe I have only been hearing it from the passenger side so far. I do not think it is the front strut bearing because I replaced those with brand new ones from Porsche when I replaced the mounts in January (2015). When I jacked up the front passenger side, relieving the load tension from the strut, I hear the noise. I can also sometimes hear the noise when turning the wheel hard, but it is difficult for me to force it to make this sound even when intentionally trying to do so. I took it into AutoScope who is my trusted service dept (they have a certified Porsche Master Tech and are significantly less expensive than Park Place Porsche here in Dallas) and asked them to lift the car and take a quick looksee. They couldn't find the culprit immediately so it may need to be brought back during the week for a thorough inspection.

I am wondering if I just need to spray some silicone grease down the strut and see if that alleviates the problem? Also the weather has been crazy lately, from snow to lots of rain creating a pothole epidemic in DFW. So I have also noticed A LOT of gravel all over the Lower control arm, and basically everywhere around the wheels. Could gravel have worked its way around the strut to be causing this noise?

I plan to go wash the car right now, and I think i will try to power wash as much of the gravel away from the wheels and suspension as possible, and then maybe spray some grease around there.

I appreciate any input and advice from the fellow Porschefiles!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
+1 or possibly the lower control arm bushing that attaches to the sub frame.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I'll try giving those a spray as well. I tried to listen carefully while raising and lowering the car and it really sounded like the strut itself. But I assume a bit of WD40 lithium around all the moving parts couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check the torque on the lower arm bolts to the subframe, they are hard to get tight enough, and will creak like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think that the sound is coming from the strut assembly. I am afraid that strut may be damaged, but from what I am not sure. I have recorded (crudely) a couple of videos to help everyone here the same sound.

The first video you can only here the clunk once as I am jacking up the vehicle on the passenger's side. It occurs at 22 seconds.

This video is recorded from inside the vehicle while I was backing down a sloped driveway. This is recorded from inside the passenger's side footwell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the torque on the lower arm bolts to the subframe, they are hard to get tight enough, and will creak like that.
Yes those bolts were tricky for me to work on when I did the mount and bearing replacement. And I do hear the occasional creak which I believe you are right about it coming from there. I think maybe I have incorrectly described the noise that I am actually concerned about though. From inside it can sometimes sound like a creak, but more often is a clunk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump. Does anyone have any input about what to look for that may be causing this noise? I took the care in to my mechanic and he listed a couple of things he thinks it might be. But he said he wont know for sure until he spends a few hours tearing the entire font end apart to find the culprit. Which means I am going to be spending in upwards of $700 in just exploratory labor.

One thing the mechanic said was that it could be the spring is not seated in the perch properly. When I replaced the strut mounts there was some movement in the spring and so this is very possible. Does anyone know how to tell whether or not the spring is properly seated?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Bump. Does anyone have any input about what to look for that may be causing this noise? I took the care in to my mechanic and he listed a couple of things he thinks it might be. But he said he wont know for sure until he spends a few hours tearing the entire font end apart to find the culprit. Which means I am going to be spending in upwards of $700 in just exploratory labor.

One thing the mechanic said was that it could be the spring is not seated in the perch properly. When I replaced the strut mounts there was some movement in the spring and so this is very possible. Does anyone know how to tell whether or not the spring is properly seated?
if you look at the spring perch you can see if the end is seated. if not rotate the spring when you have the car in the air. to me it doesnt sound like a spring because the noise would have a ring to it when you jack the car. Try loosening and re-torquing every suspension bolt. By loosening them first you will relive any stress. carl

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you look at the spring perch you can see if the end is seated. if not rotate the spring when you have the car in the air. to me it doesnt sound like a spring because the noise would have a ring to it when you jack the car. Try loosening and re-torquing every suspension bolt. By loosening them first you will relive any stress. carl
Thanks for the info Carl. I'll see if I can tell whether or not the spring is seated properly. Do you have any idea what could be making this noise? The shop put chassis ears on and they still couldn't seem to pinpoint it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks for the info Carl. I'll see if I can tell whether or not the spring is seated properly. Do you have any idea what could be making this noise? The shop put chassis ears on and they still couldn't seem to pinpoint it.
Have you disconnected the drop link to the sway bar? That way you may be able to isolate the origin . At this point you need to work by the process of elimination. carl

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you ruled out a dead strut? I was getting a clunk in my rear passenger side strut for some time. Fluid had leaked out over time. What happens if you push lightly down on each fender above the front struts? On my dead strut, it was easy to push down on the fender and it had some bounce to it when you released.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Whatever you have, I have it too. My car has this clunk/creak/popping thing occasionally and sometimes severely.

Then I went to the Rockies in late July. Drove straight through to Denver from Chicago in 14 hours. From Iowa on, the suspension sounded like gremlins were making microwave popcorn in the front. It was really LOUD after the long interstate drive when I got on the downtown Denver streets...and not just the ones with potholes etc. I'm talking loud to the point of my wondering about a safety issue and actually considering going to a DEALER to have it looked at. Any suspension or steering movement would cause noises in the front. Instead, I took it out and ran it hard to see if there was any untoward suspension behavior aside from the noise. There wasn't.

After being parked overnight, the suspension was again silent. I started the day thinking it had all been just a bad dream... until after maybe 10 minutes of driving, then the noises would come back, getting to full song in about 30 minutes. This sequence repeated for 10 days. Silence for the first 10 minutes behind the wheel, then increased noise for another 10 to 20 minutes. Thereafter, it would stabilize at really loud for the rest of the day, returning to silence the next day.

On the return trip to Chicago, the noise started taking longer to arrive and then being less severe as I got out of the mountains. On I-90 by the time I got to MN, noise was moderate. Low, by the time I got home. Next short trip, no noise at all. Then a trip of 50 miles, only moderate noise for the last 10 miles or so of surface streets. Of course, my home planet tech cannot replicate the issue and so can't fix it.

Now, here's the thing. The suspension worked great the whole western trip while making the noises. We did Bear Tooth Pass in MT 3 times, once at a fairly extreme velocity (I'm a long HP driving instructor) and the suspension always worked perfectly. Pressing down on the fenders on all 4 corners, there is no sloppiness or bounce. By the time I'd driven the 1800 miles or so in the car to get out to said pass, I was finely tuned to the car's nuances and they were as right as they'd ever been.

The car, btw, now has 95K on it and has had TPC sway bars, Damptronic coil-overs, TPC "Stage 3+" type front springs, and TPC designed spring hats with heavy duty upper strut bearings that have a beefy tapered roller bearing design. I broke the stock Porsche bearings on a previous road trip.

I've read that the torque has to be correct on the front lower control arm fastener point to the mount points on the chassis. I suspect it's either that or the LCA rubber bushings are wearing out (50K or so on them) or the TPC rubber sway bar bushings need synthetic grease. Because it takes so long for the problem to appear, unhooking the bars as a test would require 50 miles of driving without them. I think I'll try lubing them first and see if there's an improvement.

I have stock rubber on my LCAs, no monorails or solid bushings. Also have TPC "quiet links" on the TPC bars. These are stock Porsche links that have been cut down to fit the TPC bars. I'm using a DSC box instead of stock PASM box but the suspension makes noises with either box.

Anyone had this sort of noise before? Anyone know definitely what it is?

:cheers:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a similar noise problem, on my car it is the stabilizer bar bushing. Just enough wear to allow a small amount of vertical play. Makes several different noises depending on the road forces on the tires, but we were able to duplicate them when the car was on my lift by pulling and pushing the tire and various suspension parts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have a new to me low mileage Cayman R with a similar noise when turning a low speeds....really more of an intense "binding" sound....passenger side only. Thought is was the upper strut mount bushing.....went ahead and installed Tarett camber plates, along with Tarett cup style LCA's. Project went slow and smooth and the car drives great. Turns out here was nothing wrong with the old parts after all. Everything looks and feels good. Thought I had it nailed. Nope. Original noise is still there. If I unload the suspension, the noise goes away. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Have a new to me low mileage Cayman R with a similar noise when turning a low speeds....really more of an intense "binding" sound....passenger side only. Thought is was the upper strut mount bushing.....went ahead and installed Tarett camber plates, along with Tarett cup style LCA's. Project went slow and smooth and the car drives great. Turns out here was nothing wrong with the old parts after all. Everything looks and feels good. Thought I had it nailed. Nope. Original noise is still there. If I unload the suspension, the noise goes away. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Saudi:

If your car is making groaning or grinding noises when you turn the steering wheel, it's probably the upper strut bearing that attaches to the body at the top of the strut. What happens is this bearing can bind or freeze. The strut does not have free movement. The upper part stays stationary and the bottom, including the lower strut and the front wheels, turns. The springs are holding the body up. They're caught in the middle of all this...The lower perch of the spring turns with the steering and the upper part doesn't turn....you get rubbing of the springs against the spring perches. That is acoustically enhanced by the spring...Sounds pretty horrible.

Hope you find the source of your suspension noise. Based on your description, I would check the upper strut bearings first. Replace with stock if they are the problem. This is most likely cause if the noise is triggered by the steering wheel and not by going over bumps.

If you get squeaking noises over bumps, check the sway bar bushings (where they attach to the body under the car, not the ends) for lack of lubrication...especially if they are urethane and not rubber.

If you get bumping noises when you go over bumps, or turn, I would suspect the sway bar connection to the end links. If those are loose at all, they will make noises.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Question, are you talking about the bearing that is part of the strut assembly or the bushing that is part of the top plate as in my (Tarett camber plate)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think I have the same issue. When I turn the wheel when the car is stationary on the ground, it makes a creaking noise similar to when you're on a downhill slope and slowly releasing the brakes. And then at full lock there is a whining akin to a steering pump struggling but there is no steering pump in the 981. Another thing is that when I hit small bumps at low speed I get a little bit of vibration in the steering column and hear a rattling sound/vibration. Then, when I turn the wheel at slower speeds there is also a vibrating feeling. I know the 981 and 987 are different cars but it seems like I have the same problem.

This all started when I installed aftermarket LCAs from Elephant Racing. It has solid bushings which I thought would be causing the vibrating feeling in the wheel and rattling sounds when I turn it at low speeds. I will definitely check all of the things mentioned above. I don't think it would be the struts failing or the bearings (I'm hoping it is not as I only installed it over the summer with the sway bar bushings).

One question I have is though, since I changed the LCAs to aftermarket ones which are longer out of the box than the stock LCAs did I change the suspension geometry enough that I would also need aftermarket end links for the swaybars? I am lowered on the X73 suspension which is 20 mm lower than the stock suspension that came with the car.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Question, are you talking about the bearing that is part of the strut assembly or the bushing that is part of the top plate as in my (Tarett camber plate)
I'm not familiar with Tarrett camber plates. The camber plates I've seen don't make noises if everything it tight.

The bearing that is part of the strut assembly can fail and/or corrode. If it grinds from corrosion but still turns, it will make minor noises when you turn the steering wheel and you may feel roughness in the steering. If it freezes up, the top of the strut remains stationary, including the rod to the shock, and the bottom of the strut, including the body of the shock, turns with the steering. The shock innards pivot, which is not good for the shock, and the spring has to turn in its perch...that makes a big ugly noise.

I have not experienced noises from a camber plate setup before. I suppose it's possible.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts