Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there:

I recently had a set of Eibach springs installed on my 2007 Cayman S. When I brought them into the shop that did the work they advised me that they have had issue with Eibachs making noise and they would rather sell me a set of H&Rs.

I stuck with Eibachs as I liked their spring rates better.

I have a strut brace installed in the car, and Eibach springs were installed with stacked Porsche compensating plates - 3mm and 6.5mm.

Well they do squeak right at the point where the suspension is getting slightly loaded or unloaded - braking (slowing down) or getting off the brake. This can be reproduced when you press on the fender or step in the trunk with one leg and press down ~50 lbs. This goes away in dry weather and gets worse in damp. I live in Seattle.

I assumed that the noise was coming from the stacked compensating plates and after much wrangling last night I removed them. I also checked the strut brace and can not make it rattle or make any noise by pushing on it. The noise does appear to be coming lower - where the springs are.

Well, removing compensating plates did nothing.

My theories:

1. In proper install where some of the bushings were not tightened with the suspension loaded and its the bushings that are making the noise.
  2. Eibachs are making the noise. Specifically, the dead area of the spring or spring helper area that is 100% compressed with the car on the ground where the coils touch - stack on themselves is covered with a rubber sleeve. That rubber is making squeaking noise as the coils stack and un-stack.
  3. ???

What do you think?

1. What bolts should I undo and re tighten properly?
  2. Should I cut off some of that rubber? Is any of it needed? I guess metal to metal contact is not advised.
  3. ???

Tomasz

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have the same Eibachs with absolutely no noise. I ensured the rubber sleeves on the coils were intact - they are there specifically to reduce noise - so I wouldn't take them off. I would inspect them to ensure they are intact and haven't slid down to the section that doesn't stack solid (coil bind) during compression.

I also doubt it's anything to do with bushings being compressed while bolts are tightened - as I didn't worry with that and have no noise.

I would call Eibach USA and ask to speak to the engineering dept. They were very forthcoming to me with answers to any question I could think of (spring rates, etc). I'm sure they have seen this before and can help.

If that fails, I would probably take a front wheel off, carefully support underneath that upright, and push up & down on the car - while listening around with a stethoscope or piece of tubing from your ear, to isolate the noise (if you're comfortable mechanically/safety-wise).

Something's amiss - it should be silent with these springs. Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Silicone lubricant on the rubber might help you elmiminate that as the culprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.