Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In having my car tech inspected for a DE on the 17th it was discovered the inside edges of both front tires were completely worn out. The cords were showing on the right tire. The outside tread grooves were not down to the wear bars. A recent alignment showed the front negative camber at -.4 (I don't know why those guys didn't notice the wear--also I had them adjust it for max negative camber, -.8).
The question is, why would there be such extreme wear on the inside edges when the outside wasn't worn out--it seems as though the wear pattern would indicate a lot of negative camber dialed in when there wasn't. These are the original front tires and my car has over 22k miles now; the guy I bought the car off last June replaced the rear tires and had an alignment done a year ago. Finally I did a DE last September and remember noticing that the outside edges had not rolled over.
By the way, I've ordered a set of RE-11's to replace these Continentals, they will be in next Tuesday or Wednesday (otherwise I'm not tracking the car as planned).
Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks,
BW

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
What were the toe measurements on the front? As was pointed out in another recent thread with similar tire wear issues, excessive front toe is probably more responsible for accelerated inside wear, than the amount of camber.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KS-CS,
Thanks. I can't find the print out they gave me, I was wondering if toe-in may have been a contributing factor. However I thought too much toe-in made your tread round on one side and sharp-edged on the other.
BW

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I agree that the excessive inside wear is probably due to bad toe alignment. With a proper alignment, you'll probably notice the difference; and you'll like it.

You'll probably like your new R-11s too, but be careful; they won't provide their full grip until after the mold release has been worn off. That might take 100-150 miles of normal driving. Once on track, you may also notice some tread squirm when cornering due to full-depth treads.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'll assume a prior bad toe adjustment and move forward (but keep a much closer eye on insided edge tire wear).
I'll have a couple days to drive the car before the DE and then it's about an 80-90 mile drive to the track so I should have the tires scrubbed enough for safe track driving.
BW

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
BTW 22K miles out of a set of original tires isn't bad, typically they are worn out by 25-30K on average. The rears last must less, sometimes only 10-15K unless you can get adjustable drop links and really fix up the rear suspension to tune it for greater tire life.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I"m not complaining about 22k out of the fronts, the rears were replaced at 15k-16k. I only got 14k on the rears of my S2000, the fronts at the time had about 25% left. I understand that high performance tires don't last. I was most concerned about the wear pattern--and will be keeping closer watch on that in the future.
Frankly I'm glad to get the Continentals off, I've never been that wild about that brand. However I've liked any of the Bridgestones I've ever owned and am looking forward to the RE-11's. I ordered them in the standard sizes front and rear--I've got 19" rims. I'm anticipating better performance and comparable wear than competing brands with the bonus they are less expensive than most the others.
BW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.