Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ant there any contraindications on fuel additives in the 981, or any preferences?

At 8K miles, by now in other cars I would have added my 1st can of Seafoam, but am open to other options.

BTW, is there part of the "advanced search' function I'm missing? It won't allow searching by sub-forum and simply checking for "additives" give a high % of all topics in all sub forums and typing in "fuel additives" is worse in that it looks for either word, not both. I might be missing something here.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I don't know if you would consider this an additive, but I have used Torco Unleaded Octane accelerator. It is good if you get bad gas, but little else. It didn't do anything for 93 Octane pump gas as far as performance goes. Torco is a mixture of stuff, but mostly isooctane. isooctane by definition is 100 octane, so I doubt you can increase premium much, only good for boosting lower grades or bad gas.

I recently found a local source for Turbo Blue Unleaded 100 octane gas ($7/gal) and it was better than 93 Pump with Torco. Big thing was that Pump with Torco ran hotter and increased oil temperatures more than the Turbo Blue. For example, I had 4 runs at the drag strip with Torco/pump and oil temp went from 180F to 246F in under 15 seconds! Yikes! With Turbo Blue, repeated over 7 runs, the oil went from 180F to only 226F at the end of the runs. Ambient tempeartures both days were the same, about 95F on the asphalt. On a steady state highway drive, the Turbo Blue ran 7F cooler oil temp than the pump gas/Torco combination. I don't know why. You would think a higher energy concentration would generate more heat, but it might be it burns more efficiently and quicker and less heat is transmitted into the engine. My seat dyno told me the Turbo Blue was better.

I bought a bottle of Turbo 108 Racing Fuel, but have not put it into the tank. It is nearly 100 percent MMT and if added at too high of a concentration, it can harm your O2 sensor and Cat. converter, so it is sitting on the shelf. Note there are two Turbo 108s on the market, one is Octane boost (label with yellow in it), which is reported not to do anything, and the Racing Fuel (label with red in it) which may improve things.

·
Registered
785 Posts
As long as you use a top tier gas, you will require no 'fuel additives'.
In fact, use may be detrimental to your engine.
'Fuel Additves' are one of those products where the claims are impossible for you to evaluate and that's what the manufacturer counts on.
Sort of like 'Snake Oil'!-Richard

BTW How do you calibrate a 'seat dyno'?

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I use Seafoam in my boat's tank. I wouldn't use it in my car. I've never used an additive in a modern Porsche.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The big issues with the DFI engines is that there is a fuel blow back into the intake and the valves tend to get buildup that gets worse over time, where some makes have to recommend a cleaning at regular intervals.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
BTW, is there part of the "advanced search' function I'm missing? It won't allow searching by sub-forum and simply checking for "additives" give a high % of all topics in all sub forums and typing in "fuel additives" is worse in that it looks for either word, not both. I might be missing something here.
Click advances search, check mark posts, in key words enter additives, change search entire posts to search titles only, click search now

Its all 987 discussions

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The big issues with the DFI engines is that there is a fuel blow back into the intake and the valves tend to get buildup that gets worse over time, where some makes have to recommend a cleaning at regular intervals.
That somewhat reinforces the idea that an occasional can of Seafoam (or whatever, betcha Griot's Garage has something for $37/pint) is a reasonable thing to try. Or are you suggesting that rather than an additive, a mechanical (scrape) cleaning is needed?

Click advances search, check mark posts, in key words enter additives, change search entire posts to search titles only, click search now

Its all 987 discussions
Thanks. Didn't try "titles only" but, alas, I guess you're telling me there's no drill-down to a specific sub-forum. That "do a search!" phrase so prevalent on the internet is contingent on being able to get results that way.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The big issues with the DFIicon engines is that there is a fuel blow back into the intake and the valves tend to get buildup that gets worse over time, where some makes have to recommend a cleaning at regular intervals.

Maybe, but Porsche isn't one of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts