Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I got my Boxster 987 Gen.2 on January brand new.

Sixth month into owning the car, I had encountered two problems.

1. Fuel indicator is not indicating the actual "xxxkm". When I got the car new every full tank of fuel that I pumped will get me around 530-540km. For the past 4 weeks, the indicator is showing me 460-470km for a full tank!!! Fuel sensor problem? Anyone got this problem before?

2. Window problem - you know how when the top is opened or closed, both windows will roll down a few inches to protect the seal or something. And when you done with opening or closing the top it will automatically roll up back to its position.

Now my problem on my Boxster is the left window will roll down all the way instead of moving up to its closing position every time I opened or closed the top. Sigh..can anyone help...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Warranty time. My guess is a relay in both instances. Could be both possibly tied to the same circuit. Would not mess with it. Drop it off, pick it up, problem solved. My new '09 Cayman with just over 1k has been flawless. I hope to god I never have anything to do with Rusnak Westlake again other than an oil change. ;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Warranty time. My guess is a relay in both instances. Could be both possibly tied to the same circuit. Would not mess with it. Drop it off, pick it up, problem solved. My new '09 Cayman with just over 1k has been flawless. I hope to god I never have anything to do with Rusnak Westlake again other than an oil change. ;)
What happened at Rusnak? I always found them to be very cocky. Can anyone say who is the best dealership for service in the L.A. area?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Hi
1. Fuel indicator is not indicating the actual "xxxkm". When I got the car new every full tank of fuel that I pumped will get me around 530-540km. For the past 4 weeks, the indicator is showing me 460-470km for a full tank!!! Fuel sensor problem? Anyone got this problem before?
Are you talking about the estimated miles remaining? I think that indicator "learns" your driving style, so the miles are computed based on your usage. It isn't a fixed MPG. I think you can reset back to the factory "default", but that would be inaccurate, based on your driving style. Check the manual.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Are you talking about the estimated miles remaining? I think that indicator "learns" your driving style, so the miles are computed based on your usage. It isn't a fixed MPG. I think you can reset back to the factory "default", but that would be inaccurate, based on your driving style. Check the manual.

I second this.....

I have a gen II CS and my total milage to go on the tank is much lower since the break in is over as my foot seems to have gotten heavier on the gas pedal!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The fuel range goes by the the miles per gallon you are averaging. For example, if you are averaging 15 mpg and you fill your tank up to the 17 gallons it holds, the range on your dashboard will say that you have 255 miles left. But if you are averaging 20mpg and fill your tank, it will read that you have 340 miles left. It just adjusts to your own driving style.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rusnak is unfriendly and snooty. The employees who likely drive 10 year old Nissans and Hondas are just plain rude. The closer/finance guy who handled my sale was a complete *** and when he called a few days later to bug me about not having gotten my pink slip over him to faster on the trade in, I blasted him. Really arrogant little punk who acted as though he could afford the car he was selling me. Then tried to slip in an extra $10 bucks a month phantom charge over the life of the loan. I stopped that dead in its tracks, got tough and threatened to walk which he deleted from contract in a matter of microseconds. Salesperson put on a lab coat (Rusnak procedure) when he was turning the keys over to me too. complete joke. Would not recommend dealing with them again but will press them on any and everything during the warranty period.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The fuel range goes by the the miles per gallon you are averaging. For example, if you are averaging 15 mpg and you fill your tank up to the 17 gallons it holds, the range on your dashboard will say that you have 255 miles left. But if you are averaging 20mpg and fill your tank, it will read that you have 340 miles left. It just adjusts to your own driving style.
Truth.

I've seen the miles remaining indicator go UP while I'm driving. Say I've been doing something that gives me a low MPG, like city driving. The miles remaining will adjust to that. Then, if I get on the freeway and my MPG goes up, the miles remaining will increase while I'm driving. Of course after a while it evens out, the tank gets lower, and the miles remaining starts going down again.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Rusnak is unfriendly and snooty. The employees who likely drive 10 year old Nissans and Hondas are just plain rude. The closer/finance guy who handled my sale was a complete *** and when he called a few days later to bug me about not having gotten my pink slip over him to faster on the trade in, I blasted him. Really arrogant little punk who acted as though he could afford the car he was selling me. Then tried to slip in an extra $10 bucks a month phantom charge over the life of the loan. I stopped that dead in its tracks, got tough and threatened to walk which he deleted from contract in a matter of microseconds. Salesperson put on a lab coat (Rusnak procedure) when he was turning the keys over to me too. complete joke. Would not recommend dealing with them again but will press them on any and everything during the warranty period.
This is the impression I got when I was shopping for my Cayman. They acted like their droppings didn't stink. I was turned off literally in minutes of going there. Needless to say, I purchased elsewhere. Glad you got in their face!http://www.planet-9.com/images/smilies/beer2.gif

·
Registered
532 Posts
On the window problem, try raising windows with door open. If problem stops, try lubricating weatherstripping with Gummy Pledge or similar. Porsche has a feature which prevents windows from closing on fingers etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi

I got my Boxster 987 Gen.2 on January brand new.

Sixth month into owning the car, I had encountered two problems.

2. Window problem - you know how when the top is opened or closed, both windows will roll down a few inches to protect the seal or something. And when you done with opening or closing the top it will automatically roll up back to its position.

Now my problem on my Boxster is the left window will roll down all the way instead of moving up to its closing position every time I opened or closed the top. Sigh..can anyone help...
not sure about boxster, but my CS get's about 280-300 miles pre tank which is pretty close to yours. Normally when the car is new , it gets better gas mileage for the first few months and then drops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HI GUYS, thanks for all the help

I am going to Porsche in a while, gonna speak to the technician and see what he has to say...will keep you guys posted...

·
Registered
732 Posts
1. Re-set the MPG to 0 & let it re-learn. Mine stuck at 23 MPG for a long time. Now it changes as I drive.

2. You get more gas in the tank when the weather is cooler. Less in hot weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts