Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who doesn't know, there is a TSB for the fuel tank rubbing against the chassis when its hot (90+ seems to be common) and the tank is full. This applies to all cars (years and models) for possible reasons as stated in the TSB:

1) Foam around tank moved due to adhesive failure
2) Foam was improperly installed during factory process, causing it to fold in places when the tank was put in
3) Foam was never installed at the factory

The TSB has a picture outlining 2 pieces of foam at the bottom, showing an example where one side is misplaced or folded. Instructions say you need a special tool to look behind the fuel tank tight gap.

A dealer master tech said they would need to drop the whole fuel tank in order to access the areas where the foam should be. They would then ensure that all foam is installed and use some heavy duty American glue to prevent it from moving. In order to do this, they'd have to disassemble the whole front of the car in a full day's work before they can remove the fuel tank. I was advised its best to try something simple like shim it up top, where we heard the sound after manhandling the tank back and forth and discovered that a hard brake downhill pushes the tank forward and gets rid of the sound (up until you go uphill or accelerate hard).

I really don't want a dealer disassembling the whole front of my car for this noise because it only happens when its really hot and a fuel tank. When I had my x73 suspension installed the other day, I requested the Indy shop tech/owner take a look under the car to see if he can find anything obvious. He took a look (got some pictures too, but I don't have them) and found that the bottom of the fuel tank sides toward the the cabin clearly had no foam installed and were touching the chassis (or within a few MM). He flexed the tank and squeezed in some foam panels between the chassis and tank (back side/ toward driver side of the tank), but no glue was used because the fit was tight making it hard (glue wouldn't allow pushing the foam in place).

I've driven plenty with 95+ degrees outside, a full tank of gas, and bounced the car around. I'm happy to report that there is no more squeaking or any other noise coming from behind floorboard.

Something I want to make clear though...there is a chance the foam that you're missing (or has moved) is in the center of the tank, which would not be accessible under the car. In that case, you would have to remove the whole tank, but its possible that if you shim the bottom of the tank (or add foam if its missing), this will push the tank away far enough from the chassis in the center that it will fix it because the tank would not be touching the chassis. My sound was clearly coming from behind the brake paddle, but if your sound is coming from behind the instrument cluster or higher, its likely the center foam is the cause (not the bottom).

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I never noticed my passenger side seat belt knocking against the side of the car......until I read a thread about it on P-9. Now I hear it all the time! :(

I hope I don't start hearing this squeaking noise coming from the fuel tank.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Interesting and good to know, although I have yet to take my car into those temperatures yet so far no squeaks!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I never noticed my passenger side seat belt knocking against the side of the car......until I read a thread about it on P-9.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Ha ha. By the way, just push the plastic belt clip up to hold the seatbelt anchor pointing up. No more noise ever;). Let me know if you can't figure that out to take a picture.

Hey Minthral, how about at least a link to the TSB? And hopefully you can get the pics of your fix later on. Curious about that. So far no squeaking from my 2016, but at least now I know what causes it. I'd never allow dealer to perform such invasive fix, but instead attempt what you did (shoving something between tank and chassis), either from the top of bottom. My choice of material would be hard rubber, rather than foam, as it can squeak itself too. But hope it's never a problem. Filled my tank today for the second time, and so far no squeaks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
minthral;1369569 I really don't want a dealer disassembling the whole front of my car for this noise because it only happens when its really hot and a fuel tank. When I had my x73 suspension installed the other day said:
Minthral - I don't know whether you're still on P-9, since I think you sold your car, but do you have details/pics? I've dropped by my dealer twice for test drives and the tech has heard the noise. They want to keep the car and have a tech drive the car home to find the squeak. They're thinking that it might be something in the dash or the "plenum" between the interior firewall and the front firewall. I'm not inclined to have people take my car home nor start ripping apart the interior. I'd like to try putting some foam in between the tank and the frame.

- how hard is it to access the gas tank area from below. I only have ramps and jack stands, no lift. I assume underbody panels need to be removed.

- any idea what kind of foam was used?

TIA if your still here.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I got under the car and removed the center panel. That was pretty easy 6-8 screws and 2 nuts. However I couldn't find anything obvious that was squeaking. There was some padding showing on the left above the big black pipe. There's a small tube with a white plastic piece above the big black pipe that seemed like it could make a noise. I lightly zip tied that in place. There's a small triangular metal piece that could come in contact with the tank (no pic) that I put felt sticky tape on the closest edge to the tank.

The car goes in next Tuesday to the dealership. I'll test the car this weekend to see if I've had any effect on the squeak, but I'm doubtful I've done anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
They are replacing the fuel tank straps and pads. It should be ready Monday. They hadn’t heard from Porsche in Atlanta about the film coming off the tops of the headlights and whether that was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
516 Posts
They replaced the fuel tank straps and padding. I haven’t driven it long enough to get it warm enough to squeak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey folks,

is the noise being heard a squeaking? i have problem with my BosterS 2013 which is when drive over bumps (most of the time), i hear from driver dash or perhaps the steering column a “clunk” type noise. i was wondering if this would be the same as what you’ve all seen.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I hear what sounds like a hard plastic pop - like whacking your knuckle hard on the top of the steering column. It seems to be most likely to occur when there is significant body flex - going downhill at an angle and turning onto a level surface. Fuel level doesn't seem to affect it.

I'm not sure if this is the fuel tank issue or not. My HPDE tech inspections haven't turned up any suspension issues, so I've been assuming maybe it's this fuel tank problem. Someone else indicated this was the symptom they had.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hear what sounds like a hard plastic pop - like whacking your knuckle hard on the top of the steering column. It seems to be most likely to occur when there is significant body flex - going downhill at an angle and turning onto a level surface. Fuel level doesn't seem to affect it.

I'm not sure if this is the fuel tank issue or not. My HPDE tech inspections haven't turned up any suspension issues, so I've been assuming maybe it's this fuel tank problem. Someone else indicated this was the symptom they had.
I have heard this too! It's like a 'click' for me (more than a soft tap, but not a full blown knock) and it only happens when taking driveway aprons at a diagonal angle, flexing the body as you describe. I seem to sense it more on the left side, so I thought it might be something shifting in the shock/strut tower or spring perch? It doesn't happen all the time, and seems to happen more consistently after longer periods of sitting parked for a few days (vs. driving more regularly). Maybe we should start our own thread to get more eyeballs and input?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Maybe we should start our own thread to get more eyeballs and input?
May be a good idea. The popping sound used to be rather infrequent, but now I get it twice daily when leaving my house and when leaving my office. Both have a driveway on an incline that I take at an angle. I might have a video of the sound somewhere. If not, I can record one and start a thread with that video included.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
May be a good idea. The popping sound used to be rather infrequent, but now I get it twice daily when leaving my house and when leaving my office. Both have a driveway on an incline that I take at an angle. I might have a video of the sound somewhere. If not, I can record one and start a thread with that video included.
Or keep the information in this same thread so the rest of us only have one thread to read... ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Or keep the information in this same thread so the rest of us only have one thread to read... ;)
Hehe, I just didn't want to clutter up this thread with OT tangent, because I am very skeptical that the fuel tank is the source of our sound (since the videos of the fuel tank padding have a clear squeak).

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would also be curious if the steering column popping is a Boxster-specific issue, because body-flex seems to be the primary trigger. My two front wheels are usually on level ground below the rears, the right-rear is up on an incline and the left-rear is descending while the wheel is turned to the right.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here is a video I made of the noise... https://youtu.be/posiOzOt4PY
Just to clarify, since the car is barely moving in the video, is the noise caused by you turning the steering wheel? Or by the forward motion of the car? (Mine will make the noise while leaving a driveway apron with the steering wheel in a fixed position or even unwinding, but mine is not that loud.)

·
Registered
372 Posts
In this case, I was backing up my driveway at an angle. The video starts with all 4 wheels on level ground. As the right rear wheel went up the curb, the pop occurred. The steering wheel was was moving in this case because I was maneuvering to back the car up my driveway.

The steering wheel is usually not-moving (but turned) when the pop occurs. You don't feel anything through the steering wheel when the pop occurs, and there is no noticeable play in the steering. Pre-HPDE inspections haven't turned up any suspension issues.

The pop does not appear to be a direct result of turning the wheel, but occurs when the rear wheel comes down from a grade to level (at maximum body flex).

It will also occur occur going down the hill when the left rear wheel goes down the curb and the right wheel is up on the curb. I can do some experimenting to see if it occurs when the wheel is straight, and also turning left rather than right. (All my downhill turns on my commute are to the right, so that is when I have noticed it). I usually notice it once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I have also not tried to make it pop more than once in sequence. I can try to reproduce in other scenarios and see what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the tank squeak from misplaced pads in my first Boxster. It was a "squeak" and it was constant, any time the car was moving.

Dealer dropped tank and front subframe, took a month to get it back (they gave me a great loaner). My second Boxster (S) is actually a month older, but has had no problem. The service guru said it happened on earlier 981's which had been stored in heat with an empty tank, then started the first time it was filled up, which was consistent with my experience. The pads fell, then the tank squeaked against the firewall. Sounded like driving a wooden car, very VERY distracting and unpleasant.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I had the tank squeak from misplaced pads in my first Boxster. It was a "squeak" and it was constant, any time the car was moving.

Dealer dropped tank and front subframe, took a month to get it back (they gave me a great loaner). My second Boxster (S) is actually a month older, but has had no problem. The service guru said it happened on earlier 981's which had been stored in heat with an empty tank, then started the first time it was filled up, which was consistent with my experience. The pads fell, then the tank squeaked against the firewall. Sounded like driving a wooden car, very VERY distracting and unpleasant.
Curious about a few things, why did it take a month?

These pads, can't be reused or were yours lost?, or they come on a new (replacement) tank?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts