Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Boxster Fuel Tank Squeak Repair

I have a base model 2013 boxster with the fuel tank squeak. Only occurred with tank more than half full. It's louder when it's completely full.

Went to Walnut Creek Porsche. They added felt and other materials. This involved them jacking up the tank and doing the work. The cost was 1000 (almost all labor).

There's definitely no squeak anymore. It was a one day repair. The service technician said it was the first boxster he saw with the problem. He has seen it before on a hard top (can't remember which one).

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Re: 2013 Boxster Fuel Tank Squeak Repair

I have a base model 2013 boxster with the fuel tank squeak. Only occurred with tank more than half full. It's louder when it's completely full.

Went to Walnut Creek Porsche. They added felt and other materials. This involved them jacking up the tank and doing the work. The cost was 1000 (almost all labor).

There's definitely no squeak anymore. It was a one day repair. The service technician said it was the first boxster he saw with the problem. He has seen it before on a hard top (can't remember which one).
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the update! That 'hardtop' he referred to might have been a Cayman...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

hope it’s OK to add to this thread...

I recently purchased privately a 2013 Boxster. Have later found to have the dash squeak constant, and thought got to be fuel tank after researching...

However mine is constant from cold, uphill or downhill, and is there regardless of fuel level.

It sounds like this may rule out fuel tank so wondered if any one has any other ideas?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

hope it’s OK to add to this thread...

I recently purchased privately a 2013 Boxster. Have later found to have the dash squeak constant, and thought got to be fuel tank after researching...

However mine is constant from cold, uphill or downhill, and is there regardless of fuel level.

It sounds like this may rule out fuel tank so wondered if any one has any other ideas?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Might have a similar squeak in a 2013 Boxster - mine happens more when the tank is full, but does happen far less when almost empty. Not temperature related, but road surface is a factor... If you firmly grip the steering wheel, does it stop?
Mine does...
Have you got anywhere with this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Might have a similar squeak in a 2013 Boxster - mine happens more when the tank is full, but does happen far less when almost empty. Not temperature related, but road surface is a factor... If you firmly grip the steering wheel, does it stop?
Mine does...
Have you got anywhere with this?
Unfortunately not, steering wheel doesn’t seem to effect either.

weird how mine does not change with fuel level. If yours is worst full that would suggest fuel tank, but steering wheel should not effect?

Hopefully aomeone can advise of similar issues not fuel tank related!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe mine is the steering column going through the hole through the bulkhead - a bit of padding sorts it, just need to work out how to keep the padding in situ, all a bit fiddly down there.

·
Registered
2012 911 S
98 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is the gas tank shield (plastic) and gas tank (plastic) move against each other when the ambient temp is high and especially when the tank if full.

THE FIX:

1) Jack the front of the car up
2) Remove the front most plastic cover
3) Find the seam between the plastic gas tank shield and the gas tank
4) Saturate the gas tank shield with silicon lubricant. Make sure it comes out the other side.

DONE

OMG, you guys had me looking at the silly foam pads and considering removing the tank.

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S - PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV - used for autocross and track days
42 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is the gas tank shield (plastic) and gas tank (plastic) move against each other when the ambient temp is high and especially when the tank if full.

THE FIX:

1) Jack the front of the car up
2) Remove the front most plastic cover
3) Find the seam between the plastic gas tank shield and the gas tank
4) Saturate the gas tank shield with silicon lubricant. Make sure it comes out the other side.

DONE

OMG, you guys had me looking at the silly foam pads and considering removing the tank.
Thank you so much for this. One question... When you say "remove the front most plastic cover", what are you referring to? The front most plastic tray under the car? Then you say "make sure it comes out the other side". The otherside of what? Squirt lubricant from the right and make sure it comes out on the left side?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just want to relay my story. I have a 2014 Cayman S. I purchased the car used in the summer of 2019. Within about 2 months of ownership, I started to hear the squeak behind the steering column/dash. I found this thread after noticing the noise, and eventually took the car into a Porsche dealer to diagnose. They indicated the same diagnosis as this thread, that padding between the fuel take and firewall has a tendency to rub and deteriorate. To fix, they would have to drop the fuel tank and replace the padding. They quoted an 8 hour job at $220/hr, plus parts. I'm not a DIY car owner, so I was going to need the help of a professional. I started asking around our local Porsche owners club and received a handful of reputable Euro / Porsche focused mechanics. The guys who eventually fixed my issue quoted me a similar 8 hour job, but at a more reasonable $115/hr price. With parts and labor, the fix cost me around $1,250.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the theory that my squeaking fuel tank is coming from the fuel tank support so I removed it, cleaned the dirt and stones and then added slip tank and turbo gel lubricant over the surface between the tank and the plastic support piece. Also added tape between the metal straps and the support piece as it was showing signs of wear. I'll refill the tank in a few days and see if this has solved it, else I guess I will remove the whole tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S - PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV - used for autocross and track days
42 Posts
I like the theory that my squeaking fuel tank is coming from the fuel tank support so I removed it, cleaned the dirt and stones and then added slip tank and turbo gel lubricant over the surface between the tank and the plastic support piece. Also added tape between the metal straps and the support piece as it was showing signs of wear. I'll refill the tank in a few days and see if this has solved it, else I guess I will remove the whole tank.
Wow! That's super helpful! Photos are awesome! Really lets me know what I'm getting into when I take on this project.

So was it just 4 bolts to remove the large support bracket? Also, the reports from this thread are saying that the tank is rubbing the firewall (bulkhead). I'm curious to see if your fix solves it. (I'm guessing it will)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! Thank you! That's super helpful! So was it just 4 bolts to remove the large support bracket? Photos are awesome! Really lets me know what I'm getting into when I take on this project. Thanks!
No problem, hopefully its the solution. There are 2x 16mm bolts and 4x 16mm nuts holding the frame and 2x 10mm bolts securing the 2 pipes above. With an empty fuel tank there isn't much weight on the bracket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I concluded my squeak was probably not the fuel tank plastic support tray when I removed the battery and battery tray and managed to grab the fuel tank filler nozzle and move it to replicate the squeak.

So I have removed the fuel tank supporting tray again and lowered the tank far enough to see the real problem...the pads should be stuck to the underside of the firewall, where it steps back, both of mine had come detached from the metal attachment point and were just loose. Pictures attached should help explain it. I ended up sticking a large piece of 10mm thick underfloor heating edge strip foam across the areas highlighted with the red circle and also down the back of the tank to spread the load. Squeak has gone when I manually move the tank.
The good thing about this fix is that it can be done without removing the whole tank or cooling pipes etc. The only question is what is the best foam to use that will last. I stuck the foam to the tank with very strong and sticky tape and I'm sure there is a more professional way.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I concluded my squeak was probably not the fuel tank plastic support tray when I removed the battery and battery tray and managed to grab the fuel tank filler nozzle and move it to replicate the squeak.

So I have removed the fuel tank supporting tray again and lowered the tank far enough to see the real problem...the pads should be stuck to the underside of the firewall, where it steps back, both of mine had come detached from the metal attachment point and were just loose. Pictures attached should help explain it. I ended up sticking a large piece of 10mm thick underfloor heating edge strip foam across the areas highlighted with the red circle and also down the back of the tank to spread the load. Squeak has gone when I manually move the tank.
The good thing about this fix is that it can be done without removing the whole tank or cooling pipes etc. The only question is what is the best foam to use that will last. I stuck the foam to the tank with very strong and sticky tape and I'm sure there is a more professional way.
Awesome news that you were able to replicate the squeak by wiggling something! So it's the filler nozzle (hose?) that runs under the battery tray? So you don't have to drop the tank supports at all? Just remove the battery and tray and wedge some foam in there between the filler hose and the firewall? I'm sure it will make more sense when I pull it all apart. But that's why I'm asking. Can it all be done from the topside? (under battery and battery tray)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The filler hose is just something you can get your hand around and shake the tank, the squeaking is because the pads have come off, not actually sure what is rubbing on what that causes the squeak though. You need to get the tray off and lower the tank for sure, it would be less awkward if the cooling pipes weren't there, but not worth the effort in refilling and bleeding as that looks like a lot of extra work at the back end.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The filler hose is just something you can get your hand around and shake the tank, the squeaking is because the pads have come off, not actually sure what is rubbing on what that causes the squeak though.
Okay. That makes sense. Shake the tank to make it squeak so you can find the source and stop it. I wonder if expandable spray foam would work or just make a big mess? Thanks again for all your help! Great community we have here. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got under the car today. Pulling down and moving the tank around made quite a bit of noise. I tried seeping silicone between the shield and tank. I feel like I put a lot in, but it didn’t stop the squeak. Perhaps it’ll just take some driving to have it spread around. If it doesn’t work I’ll try taking the bracket off like above. Anyone have any updates on if what they did fixed it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My squeak turned out to be coming from the top of my suspension. After I jacked it up and sprayed a lot of silicon around the top mount from above and below it went away.

·
Registered
230 Posts
For those interested, below is an image of the problem as identified in the TSB. Pink boxes are where the pads should be. Clearly the pads in the photo have moved from where they should be and hence contact of the fuel tank with the chassis. TSB also attached.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Auto part Electrical wiring

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts