Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Full leather interior

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  takeshi 
#1 ·
Hi. I plan on applying leather care products on my seats since they are more prone to wear. I was just wondering if it is required to put it on the leather dash and doors. I don't like the shine that some products leave. I prefer to keep the dash and doors looking like the day I bought it. I usually just use a damp cloth.

Another question: I am reading about soft top conditioners. How often is it required to apply it? I have never owned a convertible.

My Boxster GTS has been built and is in Emden.

#2 ·
I have full leather interior on my CGTS coming in November. As far as leather care, I've been using this product for many years on my current car and it's the best leather conditioner I've used. It's kept my interior looking factory new with that matte finish. Its actually made for leather furniture. It's not cheap but a little goes a long way.

Spinneybeck - The Best Leather In Any Color - Leather Color Book

#4 ·
There are different 'full leather' interiors.
My 2013 981 has the standard full black leather. It is a sanded leather, no VOC's and is nice. If the unsanded full leather had been available in black, I would have gotton that.
As it is this leather has required no conditioners or polish in 13,000 miles.
The same with the top, I haven't done a thing to the top, no wash, just use a California Water Brush to remove water after washing the rest of the car.
The standard leather and top are really made to high standards and until I actually see some problem, I will do nothing.-Richard

#5 ·
My experience with leather hasn't been good. It gets spotted, dried, and cracks eventually. Seems the best thing to do is apply light leather conditioning products, but I never seen how they help...or if they contributed to the leather aging like it did. So maybe best thing is to just leave it be.

Usually leather dash is not recommended by dealers in other brands like BMW due to potential longevity issues. It should be fine imo 10-15 years.

#6 ·
I've been using Lexol cleaner and leather conditioner on my full leather interior for years with no negative results. It leaves the leather in its natural patina and makes the car smell fresh and clean. It is amazing how much dirt can get into the seats when driving with the top down and, although I can't prove it, it seems like common sense that sitting and grinding that dirt into the leather is not good for it. I clean and treat it about three times a year. I also use Lexol rubber conditioner to keep the big (read expensive) rubber gaskets from drying out and cracking. As for the top I use Raggtop cleaner and protector twice a year. It keeps the top looking new and the water beading up.

#7 · (Edited)
I was just wondering if it is required to put it on the leather dash and doors. I don't like the shine that some products leave. I prefer to keep the dash and doors looking like the day I bought it. I usually just use a damp cloth.
Generally speaking leather requires conditioning but how effective a conditioner can depend on the finish of the leather. If you don't like shine then find suitable conditioners.

Another question: I am reading about soft top conditioners. How often is it required to apply it? I have never owned a convertible.
It's really a protectant. IIRC general advice is reapply when water no longer beads. How often is going to vary depending on weather and other factors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.