Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a private, closed-off parking lot near me that the owner allows me to use sometimes for fun in the snow.

I made a little video. Nothing special just fun. :dance:

P.S. if anyone hates my choice of music, I have the video sans music too, but you can't really hear the engine that well anyway.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That does look like fun.
Makes me wanna find an empty parking lot to slide around in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used to do that at the beginning of every snow season when I lived in snow country. Should be part of the road test for new drivers.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Looks like lots of fun! The first time I did that was in a 1960 MGA that a friend of mine owned in high school. Just one thing...the parking lot we used was Sears and you needed to watch out for the light poles and shopping carts!:eek:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Your own private autoX.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
That was hilarious. Interesting how the wheels fill up with snow. (To a Californian, anyway. LOL)

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Hey Hawc!
That looked like a lot of fun. Folks told me I should try that to get over my fear of spinning on track.. yet after having my two off-track 'whoopsie-daisies' this past season, I think I'm over it.

but definitely looks like fun regardless...hmmmm. when is the next snow fall scheduled for Long Island?

have you made any more “Canada to the Dragon's tail and back in one day” trips since our last almost encounter on the roc-n-croc two/three years ago?
Glad to see you are still here on P-9!

cheers.
:banana:

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
That was hilarious. Interesting how the wheels fill up with snow. (To a Californian, anyway. LOL)
I liked that too. Are those Carrera S II wheels?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Great way to learn how to pop the rear out and recover , without having to drive very fast.Perhaps one advantage of living where it's slippery and cold in the winter. Then again maybe it isn't?:)

·
Registered
911 Posts
PSM off I assume?

My buddies and I used to take my mom's Torino up to a big parking lot late at night and drag each other on saucers while we hang on to a 100' rope. We would get some hellacious whips going. Like a Winter version of tubing.

Sometimes I wonder how I've managed to live as long as I have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Awesome vid, thanks for posting. Like your own private skid pan, but even more fun. Wish I could do that in my VW Cayman S in Australia. Oh well, another sunny day on golden beaches to struggle through.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Yeah it's a lot of fun. I had full winter tires on there, Nokian Hakkapalletias (sp?) with the 17" Cayman 2.7 rim. I'm glad some of you got the VW joke at the end (Jeremy Clarkson calls all Porsches Volkswagens and now that VW owns Porsche....)

Anyway here's the tire. You can see how much narrower the winter tire is.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Then you get on the hwy and the **** starts falling out of the wheels bit by bit - causing the biggest wheel imbalance you've ever experienced! :eek: Some wheel designs are better than others - more spokes the better.

hawc - way to go! Spin that Cayman dude!:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts