Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just thought I would share a fun location that I had the opportunity to explore yesterday that some of you might also enjoy. Please chime in with more of your own. Not looking for tracks as much as public roads and access routes.

Some people will know it as Devils triangle, but I never knew it as that growing up. It is Tn-116 from Brushy Mountain Prison to 330. https://goo.gl/maps/cpZDFaNtA3q

It is a great mix of many tight turns with elevation change broken by nice sweepers. Lots of properly cambered turns. Very little traffic compared to many of the more heavily traveled routes along the border of East TN and NC. I think I passed about 15 cars on the entire route, 2 cyclist, and 4 motorcycles. There are also offloading trails in the area and I saw a half dozen side-by-sides. Nearly all were going the East to West direction while I was going West to East.

Very challenging route if you push yourself even just a little, and I even saw a sport bike rider take a run out area when he misjudged a turn. I drove it in my CGTS w/x73 along with a passenger. If you ever want to fully load up your suspension and build an appreciation for a good suspension setup, this is a great road. I will warn that there is very little there for you save for the road, trees, creek, and random house/church. It is not a tourist trap.

No pictures...I was busy driving. 馃榿

Vendor
One of the threads here had a map with marked fun drives in US. We need to review that.

Super Moderator
Thanks but the regional forum is pretty dead. Thought I would post here. Plus, I have no specific limitation on state or country.
Thread moved to the Recommended Driving Routes subforum.

Registered
Hi everyone. Just thought I would share a fun location that I had the opportunity to explore yesterday that some of you might also enjoy. Please chime in with more of your own. Not looking for tracks as much as public roads and access routes.

Some people will know it as Devils triangle, but I never knew it as that growing up. It is Tn-116 from Brushy Mountain Prison to 330. https://goo.gl/maps/cpZDFaNtA3q

It is a great mix of many tight turns with elevation change broken by nice sweepers. Lots of properly cambered turns. Very little traffic compared to many of the more heavily traveled routes along the border of East TN and NC. I think I passed about 15 cars on the entire route, 2 cyclist, and 4 motorcycles. There are also offloading trails in the area and I saw a half dozen side-by-sides. Nearly all were going the East to West direction while I was going West to East.

Very challenging route if you push yourself even just a little, and I even saw a sport bike rider take a run out area when he misjudged a turn. I drove it in my CGTS w/x73 along with a passenger. If you ever want to fully load up your suspension and build an appreciation for a good suspension setup, this is a great road. I will warn that there is very little there for you save for the road, trees, creek, and random house/church. It is not a tourist trap.

No pictures...I was busy driving. ��
I spend a fair amount of time driving North GA, TN, and NC mountains I'll tell you everything I know if you delete this post. Sample. If you want a road that will push you to the limit drive TN 32, this is a tight and technical road with pristine pavement. Look up Cosby TN on Google maps, it splits the Cherokee National forest and Great Smoky Mountain Forest. The NC side is gravel but there is a good turn around spot at the top of the mountain still on pavement right before the gravel starts. Between the NF's, gravel on NC side, and there's only one side road to a cabin IIRC so no traffic other than a few locals and occasional dual sport motorcycle.

The gravel side is passable when it is not raining, we did it with R8, stupid low 987, a lowered MR2, and Focus ST. This heads to a great section of I 40E through the gorge, then pick up NC 209 to hot springs, an awesome drive.

Registered
Living on the coast of SC there are precious few driver's roads. However next year we will likely move to the hilly upstate and minutes away from mountain roads I use to frequent in my youth on my motorcycles. I love it down here but since I got the Cayman the croc wants to be cut loose and run free.

I have been on some roads in TN in my wife's Mini (and new Beetle before that) but not able to drive with enthusiasm with said passenger. Can't wait to get back up to those glorious mountains and roads! I think I will start a file with these suggestions, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts