Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing new Planet-9 site sponsor: FUNCTION-FIRST Performance

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself as a new site sponsor to the Planet-9 forum!

Founded by a mechanical engineer, racecar mechanic, and true Porsche enthusiast, Function-First Performance was created to deliver Porsche drivers an unfiltered, visceral driving experience.

Road-going Porsches are derived from their race brethren, but much of the racecar precision and rawness is lost in the name of civility and comfort, resulting in a numbed and impure driving experience.

Our functional solutions bridge the gap to restore your Porsche's racing pedigree. By elevating performance and enhancing driver connectedness, our products will unleash your Porsche's true potential.

Our first product for the Boxster/Cayman is a stiffened Engine Mount Insert. We already have a thread on this product in the main 987 forum, which you can view here.

We look forward to serving the Porsche community with more exciting, original, and innovative products in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or feedback - [email protected].

Thanks!
Luka

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has anyone installed these? I would like to install them but want to hear from others before spending the money. Granted $130 is a drop in the bucket. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
OK, mount inserts installed 10am this morning. Going back at 2pm to get them removed...
Like most mods, this one has some +s and some -s. To me:
+ engine is clearly more connected to the chassis! General handling feels tighter. Perhaps a very slight increase in shifter crispness, but I am running CAE Ultrashifter already, so it's hard to improve on that.
- Considerably increase in NHV - all three in fact! Vibration increase is so great that the dash rattles all the time, even while cruising on the freeway at 3000 rpm.
For me, the negatives so outweigh any positives I'm removing it and returning to stock mount. Quite an investment at $100 each way (I don't like working on a car under 15" of jack stands, period.) It's not that removing the engine mount is hard, but it's awkward. Much easier done under a lift at standing height. Also, we had to take both parts of the mount off, as it was very hard to install the inserts--had to use a vice to press them in. My tech is a 10-year dealer trained P tech, so it had nothing to do with the installer.
Conclusion: Not for me (I did the engine mounts on my MINI Cooper S and it was far less NHV than this.) But for someone who doesn't mind the NHV, it could be a good thing.
I also guess there'll be a set in the classified section for a great price...

·
Registered
151 Posts
OK, mount inserts installed 10am this morning. Going back at 2pm to get them removed...
Like most mods, this one has some +s and some -s. To me:
+ engine is clearly more connected to the chassis! General handling feels tighter. Perhaps a very slight increase in shifter crispness, but I am running CAE Ultrashifter already, so it's hard to improve on that.
- Considerably increase in NHV - all three in fact! Vibration increase is so great that the dash rattles all the time, even while cruising on the freeway at 3000 rpm.
For me, the negatives so outweigh any positives I'm removing it and returning to stock mount. Quite an investment at $100 each way (I don't like working on a car under 15" of jack stands, period.) It's not that removing the engine mount is hard, but it's awkward. Much easier done under a lift at standing height. Also, we had to take both parts of the mount off, as it was very hard to install the inserts--had to use a vice to press them in. My tech is a 10-year dealer trained P tech, so it had nothing to do with the installer.
Conclusion: Not for me (I did the engine mounts on my MINI Cooper S and it was far less NHV than this.) But for someone who doesn't mind the NHV, it could be a good thing.
I also guess there'll be a set in the classified section for a great price...
Thank you for posting the results ... I appreciate your feedback

·
Vendor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thorough and honest reply, Phil.

As with most modifications, there exists a trade off when installing upgrades. The Engine Mount Insert is definitely a performance modification and is intended for those drivers interested in sportiness over comfort. As such, there will be additional NVH introduced - some drivers like it, some don't mind it, and some don't want to live with it, which is completely understandable.

So in the end, it is difficult to gauge how this increase in NVH will heighten or hurt your driving experience, and whether that trade off for the handling and performance benefits is worth it to you.

Keep the reviews coming, so that we can gain some additional perspective and impressions from other owners!

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
I have a set of these awaiting install. Dr. Phil's write up doesn't light a match under my oft to get them installed. I suppose I'll wait for additional reviews before I make a final decision though.

FF... Would it be possible to manufacture these in different durometers?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Arrived home to find a nice little package awaiting me:

On opening the quality looks great, they have been hand finished and there a couple of neat touches too:

I hope to fit them mid week at the same time as I do the water pump and thermostat, will make sure I take plenty of pics!

·
Vendor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a set of these awaiting install. Dr. Phil's write up doesn't light a match under my oft to get them installed. I suppose I'll wait for additional reviews before I make a final decision though.

FF... Would it be possible to manufacture these in different durometers?

In developing these, we found that the 80A (current hardness) was the best compromise, geared more towards performance than comfort, which is the intention of this upgrade. With softer inserts, you will certainly see some of the benefits, albeit to a lesser degree, and with greater comfort.

We will consider offering a softer option if there's enough demand for that, but we'd like to see some more feedback first on the 80A inserts.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
In developing these, we found that the 80A (current hardness) was the best compromise, geared more towards performance than comfort, which is the intention of this upgrade. With softer inserts, you will certainly see some of the benefits, albeit to a lesser degree, and with greater comfort.

We will consider offering a softer option if there's enough demand for that, but we'd like to see some more feedback first on the 80A inserts.
I would definitely be interested in a softer version. I do track my car, but it is primarily a daily driver, and I don't want to hurt the streetability too much.

I have a set of your current inserts sitting on my workbench, waiting for more real-world feedback before I install them. The one report we have so far indicate the 80A inserts are a little too stiff for street driving. I'd love to be able to exchange these for a softer set.

Maybe consider offering two styles: a hard-core track version (current one) and a street version.

·
Vendor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would definitely be interested in a softer version. I do track my car, but it is primarily a daily driver, and I don't want to hurt the streetability too much.

I have a set of your current inserts sitting on my workbench, waiting for more real-world feedback before I install them. The one report we have so far indicate the 80A inserts are a little too stiff for street driving. I'd love to be able to exchange these for a softer set.

Maybe consider offering two styles: a hard-core track version (current one) and a street version.

The feel and increase in NVH of the car is very subjective, and varies person to person, so what may be unbearable to some may be completely fine for another individual. It's also important to keep in mind that Phil's car had a lightweight flywheel, which may introduce additional vibrations into the cabin that the OEM dual mass flywheel would soak up.

We'd be happy to produce a softer set for anyone interested in exchanging their stiffer original version. But, again, I encourage everyone to see a couple more reviews from other owners. In our opinion, the current stiffness is the ideal compromise in terms of gain in performance and addition of NVH. Giff should be installing his soon, so look out for his impressions.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Yes, please don't see my experience as anything but a single observation. (It's bad practice to infer anything from one observation!) Once we get more reports FF can assess if a softer durometer insert would be a good idea to offer.
I presume many have already been fitted, they just aren't posting about them here. Can we ask FF to encourage buyers to post on this thread?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Arrived home to find a nice little package awaiting me:

On opening the quality looks great, they have been hand finished and there a couple of neat touches too:

I hope to fit them mid week at the same time as I do the water pump and thermostat, will make sure I take plenty of pics!
Hi Giff

did you fit these yet? Let me know how you find them as I was considering these too.

Andy

·
Vendor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the installation of the ENGINE MOUNT INSERT, you will be rewarded with improved shifting and enhanced performance. These benefits, however, come at the cost of some increased NVH, and we understand that this is the main concern for our existing and prospective customers.

I daily drive my car with the Insert, but I realize that my tolerance for the NVH increase may not be in line with others.

As such, we will now be offering a softer version in addition to the original stiffer version.

Choose between two hardness levels:
STREET - Yellow (70A) for less NVH *Softer version*
TRACK - Black (80A) for optimized performance *Original version*

There will still be some NVH transmittal with the STREET version, but it will be much more bearable for those wishing to keep their car purely streetable. For those interested more in the performance benefits, we still recommend the original TRACK version for spirited street driving, AutoX, and DE/Track.

If you already purchased an Insert and wish to exchange for the softer version, pls email us at [email protected] to arrange for an exchange. Any other questions or concerns, pls feel free to email.

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great job being very open to customer feedback and responding with this option. Sometimes hard to find in the world today. Look forward to additional products...!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts