Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Are there any further reviews of the engine/trans mount inserts (both 70A and 80A)?

Also I've seen some people add transmission mounts without engine mounts and vice versa - wouldn't this put more strain on the components as they are not moving as one and cause problems?

I'd like to do something similar to mounts or inserts but there is just too much uncertainty and a lack of information surrounding the subject to make an informed decision :(

·
Registered
266 Posts
Great customer service! As promised they are exchanging my uninstalled early (track) version for the street version for my Cayman. I picked up a set of the track version for my Boxster. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
This is what I posted elsewhere:

OK, I'll bite:

I was nervous about the inserts based on some of the feedback and opinions online. I recently had my indy put it in after trying to do it myself in the garage and giving up when I couldn't get to 1 bolt on the engine mount. I was working on my back in a cold, dusty garage while the car was up on jack stands. I got to a point of asking myself "why am I doing this (on my own)?"

Anyway, the inserts are in and I've had 1 day of street and 2 days of track driving. The caveat here is that I haven't driven my Spyder all winter except for 1 day and my memory of how it drove and sounded may not be totally accurate.

Good: car seems tighter and more responsive. I remember thinking that the Spyder felt a little soft when driving down to my indy for the installation. Now it feels tight and good. Another caveat though: I had a GT3 front sway bar installed at the same time (4th stiffest position) so that could be affecting the suspension feel as well. I already had an AM sway bar in the rear.

Bad: I feel like there is more NVH in the cabin. Specifically background vibration noise. It was annoying and not how I remember the stock. Fine on the track but was annoying/deafening on the street. Caveat: I have a Fabspeed race exhaust so there is loud exhaust noise and drone. The inserts seem to have amplified the drone and noise in general to make it a little too much for the street usage. However, I've only had 2 days of street driving (1 before and 1 after) and none for months before then. So it's possible that I just need to get used to my race exhaust again vs. the inserts making it significantly worse.

Current conclusion: F1 inserts are good and do what they're supposed to. Great for the track. May be too much for the street if you have a loud exhaust, LWFW, or if you're sensitive to NVH. However, I need to drive it on the street more and see if I can tolerate it. Will report back after further testing.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Vetman... Thanks for the review. Do you have the 70 durometer or 80 durometer units installed?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Vetman... Thanks for the review. Do you have the 70 durometer or 80 durometer units installed?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
np. I have 80A (Track) version.

·
Vendor
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The Engine Mount Inserts were primarily developed as a performance additive, delivering improved shifting and handling by limiting excess drivetrain movement. They also fortified the failure prone OEM Engine mount, which can be costly to replace, by filling the voids of the bushing to support and reestablish its original geometry. But the main drawback of the inserts was the added NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) transmitted into the cabin. And for that reason, we offered both the harder TRACK compound for ultimate performance and the softer STREET compound to mitigate some of the added NVH.

Several 987 owners, however, have requested an insert with even less NVH than the STREET version that would still renew their aging engine mount, so we set out to choose a compound that would strike a nice balance of comfort and restored performance. And following several rounds of successful testing, we’re now offering a solution for daily drivers - the SOFT (Orange) Engine Mount Inserts.

So if you were intrigued by the benefits of the inserts, but you’ve been hesitant to try them because of the risk of increased NVH, the new SOFT Engine Mount Inserts may be the “just right” solution for your daily driver!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Function First team!

Think you've hit a gap in the market. I know it's early days for customer reviews but am interested to hear about the test results during product development of these soft inserts.

In particular, how NVH level's compare to OEM at low vs high RPM and the feeling of stiffness? Subjective rating is OK. Looking for an indicative guide :)

I'm about to return to OEM mounts after a year on wevo's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I fitted the grey type to my Cayman R. At first it made the car feel a bit harsh but after a few miles it just felt normal and I didn't notice it. I removed them after I finished using car on track and it felt really luxurious and very smooth. I sort of liked the feel with them in as it made the car more as what it should have been, but I don't use it as a daily which may make a difference.PS: I have them for sale if anyone wants any. Based in UKHTHAndy

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I put both F1 transmission and engine (yellow) mounts in. Although I really liked the feel, the nvh was a bit much. Removed the engine mounts and left the transmission mounts in which seems to be a decent compromise. These orange mounts look interesting, mind you. I still have the yellow ones if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello all,

Just checking back on this, if anyone installed the orange inserts ? Figured i dont need to open a new thread for this.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes, I have the orange motor mount inserts installed along with the transaxle mounts. I installed the motor mount inserts first, and to my surprise the motor mount also needed refreshing as it was cracked and falling apart. I noticed the vibrations and noise for a while, but after a couple of months, all is well. Car tracts very well, even through slalom type corners. The engine and transaxle stays put without any rebound effects.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,854 Posts
I installed the FF orange engine mount inserts and FF transmission mounts, both at the same time. There is definitely more NVH (at certain, discrete RPMs) than stock, but it's not obnoxious or uncivilized -- less refined would be a more accurate description. The trade-off, in improved dynamic chassis responsiveness, is well worth it IMO. I've also installed a Numeric Racing shifter, so I tend to prefer a more direct "feel" than the factory setup provides. I'm convinced that my sensitivity to the increased NVH has diminished over time, to the point that everything just seems normal to me now.
I'd thought about experimenting with tuning the engine mount inserts, for example by removing one or more of the "tabs" that fill the voids in the factory mount, but removing & replacing this mount is such a PITA that I never bothered to do it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had these put in the transmission of my GT3. I have no negative issues to report. The shifts definitely feel crisper.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts