Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was driving home from my parents house last night as It was my mother birthday, and on my way home I encounter a nice looking White 640I Gran Coupe riding on black painted OEM wheels. Its about 9:30PM and this guy has his windows down as he pulls up next to me and throttles back and forth trying to instigate shenanigans. After about a mile and half of ignoring him, the road flattens out for a few miles so I hit sport plus and dropped it down to 3rd from 7th, and give him a nice run for his money. After I pulled about a bus length and a half away from the BMW, I immediately let off the throttle and let the car coast without tapping the brakes as I didn't feel like pushing my luck any further, and right as I'm thinking to myself, "this idiot is going to do a ricer flyby....", he flys past me and proceeds to slam on his brakes, starts shaking his finger at me in a "no, no" fashion and gives me a thumbs down! :crazy:

So bearing in mind that I'VE LITERALLY JUST SOLD MY BRAND NEW YAS MARINA BLUE M4 for my Cayman GTS after being a devout BMW enthusiast my entire life, we pull up at the light and he leans over from the drivers seat and yells "I'm sorry bro your car F****** sucks, that shits weak!". At this point I was busting up laughing inside as I realized that idiots like him were the exact reason I got rid of such a great car, to join a more refined an prestigious group of enthusiasts within the Porsche world. As he takes off, he traction controls while making a hard left and rides off into the darkness and that's when I spotted the the europlate in the absence of his DMV issued plate, which read "GRAN SICKX" :hilarious:

Stereotype Confirmed.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
What to do, I hate stereotypes and virtually every BMW driver I've ever encountered. Hmmm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prior to my M4, I was driving a Mini Cooper Hardtop for 2 years and had been very withdrawn and absent from the BMW community. After I got the M4 I thought I'd head to a local meet and was Immediately reminded as to why I had stopped attending these sort of things. No disrespect to anybody intended, but I feel as if the Porsche crowd is quite a bit more dignified, humble and conservative. Not to mention friendly. Glad to be here :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I thought most of the asshats migrated to Audi & Prius. Ah well.

Reactions: ThrottleSteer

·
Registered
504 Posts
An M3 once tried to test me. I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice chianti...

- Patrick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately asshats aren't unique to any one brand or model and Porsche isn't immune from them.

So weak that he couldn't keep up? As always, consider the source.
He never saw my brake lights when I let off the throttle so when he flew past me he was probably under the assumption that his land yacht had hit warp speed and reeled me in pretty significantly. Must have been the europlate :taunt:

·
Registered
13 Posts
i think that the common thought is that not everyone that drives a bmw is an a-hole, but every a-hole drives a bmw.

reread that slower if it sounds convuluted.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I find that the Porsche owners tend to be more sophisticated. I would guess that car enthusiasts may agree that Porsche is the middle ground between extreme exotics and everyday sports cars.

It is also my opinion that Porsche builds a well balanced car and often those who own them are well balanced themselves.

Have had quite a few cars, I rather enjoy and like the "stereotype" that owning a Porsche comes with. Granted some folks are of the opinion that since we own a Porsche, then we must have ridiculous money. The real answer is, we are just putting our money where our hobby is. We can't help it that the passion of our hobby happens to be visible at a stoplight...LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Having been in BMW-land for 12 years prior to getting the 981, and still having the Z4C and being involved in the local BMW community, my observation is that there are FAR more situations of:

Rich parents buy new BMW for son OR son uses trust fund to buy brand new BMW than there are similar situations in the Porsche world. At least in the Midwest.

That said, I've built some great friendships over the years with fellow BMW enthusiasts. So far in my area, the Porsche enthusiasts all seem to be a bit older (I'm in my 30s) and I honestly feel a bit out of place.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Its the life in your years that count and not the years in your life..............life is far too short to worry about the unimportant belief systems of others. I drive and enoy what I do for what it means and does for me in contributing to the richness of my life.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Back in 2000 I had a Z3 and was a member of the local chapter of the BMW club. The Z3 drives were great and the folks very nice, the local club was great as well, the meeting were held in a German restaurant so every meeting came with Bratwurst and beer.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Funny, but down here the morons with a chip on their shoulders are punks in Altimas and Maximas! Go figure! Never been bothered by BMW drivers, but these kids and their rice burners! Heaven helps us! By the way, this morning a roofing tile truck pulled up next to me on a red light and the guy starts revving his diesel! I couldn't stop laughing, I truly live in The Twilight Zone!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
but if it were a UTE...

guess the M4 did not do it for ya OP?

anyone - thank you for sharing.

the crowd can be a little mature - and the so-called instructors, well...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I own a both BMW and a Porsche....I must be suffering from multiple personality disorder ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I've been tailgated by BMWs occasionally, never by Porsches.

Reactions: Blessed

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
but if it were a UTE...

guess the M4 did not do it for ya OP?

anyone - thank you for sharing.

the crowd can be a little mature - and the so-called instructors, well...
The M4 was an epic car, and by far one of the best bang for your buck "supercars" out there, but for reasons that I'd rather not get into, I decided the Cayman GTS was a better fit for me at the moment as I needed to familiarize myself with the brand and culture.

You obviously still have some BMW in you, since you dropped it to 3rd and gave him a run for his money.
Seeing as I spent most of my years driving thus far in one, Its a bit hard to shake off in a month and a half haha.

Funny, but down here the morons with a chip on their shoulders are punks in Altimas and Maximas! Go figure! Never been bothered by BMW drivers, but these kids and their rice burners! Heaven helps us! By the way, this morning a roofing tile truck pulled up next to me on a red light and the guy starts revving his diesel! I couldn't stop laughing, I truly live in The Twilight Zone!
I guess it all really depends on location :)

Back in 2000 I had a Z3 and was a member of the local chapter of the BMW club. The Z3 drives were great and the folks very nice, the local club was great as well, the meeting were held in a German restaurant so every meeting came with Bratwurst and beer.
You'll find that there are sub-cultures within the BMW community, and genrally the M Drivers being amongst the worst. Z3/Z4 drivers are a rather interesting group of people and very unique. Overall, I've had many great experiences within the community as well, I was just stating the general stereotype.

Its the life in your years that count and not the years in your life..............life is far too short to worry about the unimportant belief systems of others. I drive and enoy what I do for what it means and does for me in contributing to the richness of my life.
100% Agree. I don't let the opinions of others get under my skin. I've just never encountered an enthusiast who has been so negative towards another fellow enthusiast over something so petty.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Cool story, bro.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts