Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I currently own a '08 Honda S2000, and have actually only had it for a year. I love this car, great for the money, but I've always known that one day I would be in a Porsche. I'm already getting the itch, but am forcing myself to wait a year or so until I'm financially set for one. I come from a family of Porsche fanatics (my father has a '90 944 S2 Cabriolet that he's owned since it was new, a Boxster S, and a Cayenne S).
I've been in love w/ the Cayman S since it came out, and will be looking at getting one next year. My question is, how do you all like the PDK transmission? I've always been a regular manual guy myself, but I'm definitely going to consider the PDK when I get a Cayman S. I haven't driven Porsche's version, but I had the opportunity to drive some Ferraris and Lambo's last year w/ single/dual clutch trannies and I loved the experience. My wife doesn't drive manual, so I'm thinking the PDK may be a great compromise for myself.
Anyway I'll be lurking for a while, but hope to be an owner one day!

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
My wife doesn't drive manual, so I'm thinking the PDK may be a great compromise for myself.
that's reason enough to get the manual :hilarious:

my wife doesn't drive manual either...so guess who get to be behind the wheel 100 percent of the time....ME that's who...

though if she did know how I would let her drive it...though she's not going to learn on it.

keep the dream alive...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True True, but unfortunately I've already told her about the PDK, so she's going to be really dissapointed if I don't get it (she's already telling me she'll be excited to finally be able to drive my sports car, since to this point they've all been manuals)

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Teach her to drive a manual? Otherwise the PDK is a great alternative,especially if it will keep piece in the house.Personally i prefer manual.There has been great debate on this sight between the two.Look forward to seeing pics and your shared experience with your future purchase!:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Welcome, feel free to poke around the site - there's a LOT of information and discussions here that will help quench your P-car thirst until you actually get one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You sound just like me a year ago! I just sold my S2000 and am expecting to pick up my 2010 Cayman S by the weekend. :banana:

I also have always been a manual fanatic, but thought that PDK might satisfy me while letting my wife finally drive one of my cars -- she was even willing to split the cost of the transmission upgrade with me. I took a test drive in cars with both transmissions and I was very split. The 6-speed is fantastic (although I might still give a slight edge to the S2000) and it immediately felt right to me. The PDK was very impressive indeed and I had no doubt that it would be both more usable day-to-day as well as quicker in any competition situation. However, I just couldn't get over the feeling that I was giving something away with the PDK. Even though PDK could shift faster and smoother that me, I almost resented it for denying me the fun of doing the shifting myself.

In the end, I went with the 6-speed, but I absolutely think you should drive both and judge for yourself. I have no doubt that you (and your wife) won't be disappointed with PDK, but I think you'll very quickly know if you can't do without the experience of swapping gears yourself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sound just like me a year ago! I just sold my S2000 and am expecting to pick up my 2010 Cayman S by the weekend. :banana:

I also have always been a manual fanatic, but thought that PDK might satisfy me while letting my wife finally drive one of my cars -- she was even willing to split the cost of the transmission upgrade with me. I took a test drive in cars with both transmissions and I was very split. The 6-speed is fantastic (although I might still give a slight edge to the S2000) and it immediately felt right to me. The PDK was very impressive indeed and I had no doubt that it would be both more usable day-to-day as well as quicker in any competition situation. However, I just couldn't get over the feeling that I was giving something away with the PDK. Even though PDK could shift faster and smoother that me, I almost resented it for denying me the fun of doing the shifting myself.

In the end, I went with the 6-speed, but I absolutely think you should drive both and judge for yourself. I have no doubt that you (and your wife) won't be disappointed with PDK, but I think you'll very quickly know if you can't do without the experience of swapping gears yourself.
Thanks for the great info!! And congrats on the Cayman S that you'll soon have!
Were you on s2ki.com? I'm a regular on there now, best car enthusiast site I've been on yet (maybe this one will rival that in the future?;))

Do the PDK systems on the newer Caymans have actual paddles available like the new 911TT do? If not, think Porsche will make that change for the Cayman as well in the future?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Do the PDK systems on the newer Caymans have actual paddles available like the new 911TT do? If not, think Porsche will make that change for the Cayman as well in the future?
Please do a search, there are quite a few discussions already dealing with this question.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the great info!! And congrats on the Cayman S that you'll soon have!
Were you on s2ki.com? I'm a regular on there now, best car enthusiast site I've been on yet (maybe this one will rival that in the future?;))

Yeah, I'm xmatt on s2ki also. I agree, it's a great site and I'll probably keep hanging out there in the car talk forum. A couple of the guys there who got Caymans actually had a lot to do with convincing me to suck it up and put my order in. I think there's a lot of crossover enthusiast appeal between the two cars.

I know when I ordered my CS there was no true paddle shifter wheel option, but I think this may have changed, I'm not actually sure. As Interpol mentioned, people have been talking about that one a bunch so it should be pretty easy to find info.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please do a search, there are quite a few discussions already dealing with this question.
Thanks,found the info I needed

They look nice, but I kind of prefer the paddles to be on the steering column, that way if I'm in a big twisty and have to move my hands from 10-2, I can still reach back and hit the paddle. We'll see--I guess only test driving will tell! Atleast they will now offer them though--the buttons on the wheel just didn't do it for me

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm xmatt on s2ki also. I agree, it's a great site and I'll probably keep hanging out there in the car talk forum. A couple of the guys there who got Caymans actually had a lot to do with convincing me to suck it up and put my order in. I think there's a lot of crossover enthusiast appeal between the two cars.

I know when I ordered my CS there was no true paddle shifter wheel option, but I think this may have changed, I'm not actually sure. As Interpol mentioned, people have been talking about that one a bunch so it should be pretty easy to find info.
You're right, there are quite a lot of S2000 owners that move up to the Cayman S, I guess it's an obvious move as long as you don't mind missing the drop top

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, please search, tons of stuff on PDK. The CS has been out since 2006, why did you buy an s2000 if you are in love with the CS? Yea, if the wifey can't do manual then get the PDK or better yet, don't let her drive the Porsche.

On edit - if you want the drop top, buy a Boxter.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You're right, there are quite a lot of S2000 owners that move up to the Cayman S, I guess it's an obvious move as long as you don't mind missing the drop top
Ya, the rag top actually had nothing to do with me buying the S2000, so it was an easy choice for me. I just have a thing for sub-3000-pound, rear wheel drive sports cars and there aren't that many options out there. I had an FD RX-7, then moved to the S2000, and from there really the Cayman was the only choice! The Boxster really is a a great choice if you want a convertible though -- the power difference from the Cayman is basically imaginary and unless you're putting in serious track time, I doubt you'd notice the difference in torsional rigidity.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, please search, tons of stuff on PDK. The CS has been out since 2006, why did you buy an s2000 if you are in love with the CS? Yea, if the wifey can't do manual then get the PDK or better yet, don't let her drive the Porsche.

On edit - if you want the drop top, buy a Boxter.
The CS is double the price;), otherwise there'd be one in my garage right now
Don't get me wrong though, the S2000 is a fantastic car and I love it, so it's more than enough to "hold me over" I guess you could say

I'm not big on the looks of the Boxster, so I probably won't consider it to much. Plus, I rarely use the drop top in my S2000, so the vert option isn't a big deal for me

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The PDK debate will never end. There is still a part of me that thinks I should have gone with the 6 speed. But then I get stuck in traffic and the thought gets erased. If I want to play I can always drop it in manual.

The paddle wheel is available. It can even be ordered from Suncoast.

I got an S2000 for my wife because she wanted a convertible. Then she decided she didn't like the sun exposure. It was a fun car to drive. Still have a set of ForgeLine wheels for it sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I find the fact that people don't know how to drive a manual transmission astounding. To me its kinda like knowing how to swim. If you want to get the water learn to swim, if you want to drive learn to drive a manual. It really isn't that hard.

As you can tell i am a mnual transmission guy. the kids in my family don't get to drive the automatice cars until they are proficient in a manual transmission. Once they learn they kinda forget about the auto trans. For me a sports car is better in day to day driving with a manual. there is just way more fun to be had in working the gears. But if you sit in alot of traffic or need to hold your coffee, eat on the road there is definitely some benefits to the pdk. Also its said to be faster at the track if thats important. People seem to really like it. Personally i say get the manual and teach the wife to use a clutch (in a different car) so she can then get a chance and the Pcar.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find the fact that people don't know how to drive a manual transmission astounding. To me its kinda like knowing how to swim. If you want to get the water learn to swim, if you want to drive learn to drive a manual. It really isn't that hard.

As you can tell i am a mnual transmission guy. the kids in my family don't get to drive the automatice cars until they are proficient in a manual transmission. Once they learn they kinda forget about the auto trans. For me a sports car is better in day to day driving with a manual. there is just way more fun to be had in working the gears. But if you sit in alot of traffic or need to hold your coffee, eat on the road there is definitely some benefits to the pdk. Also its said to be faster at the track if thats important. People seem to really like it. Personally i say get the manual and teach the wife to use a clutch (in a different car) so she can then get a chance and the Pcar.
I use to think the exact same way, then I drove an F360, F430, Gallardo, and Murcielago; all had their respective single/dual clutch trannies, and I was surprised how much fun it still was in manual mode (not to mention lightning fast shifts--I could never match that w/ a normal manual). Most of the time I like my manual, but I commute quite a ways and get stuck in traffic, so the sore left foot constantly holding on the clutch gets old. I would have never considered an auto, but these new dual clutch trannies are quite slick!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would go with a manual. For $3400 you could add alot of nice options or lower the car on coilovers and add a nice exhaust. You give up the ability to rev the engine at stop lights with pdk lol.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Welcome to the site from a fellow S2000 owner.

I presently have a Tiptronic Cayman S and enjoy it a lot. What I would suggest is to keep the S2000 (not many cars have a transmission that shifts as nicely as the S2K does) and buy the PDK version of the Cayman. That way you have the best of both worlds. That's what I did.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts