Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
My take from this thread is that the difference in power and torque is above 4,000 RPMs. Since much of my driving is in the city below 4,000 RPMs, it doesn't sound like I'll get much increase in torque where I need it. Anyone want to comment- perhaps Barcuri?

This would be on a 2014 Base with PDK.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My take from this thread is that the difference in power and torque is above 4,000 RPMs. Since much of my driving is in the city below 4,000 RPMs, it doesn't sound like I'll get much increase in torque where I need it. Anyone want to comment- perhaps Barcuri?

Having a manual, you just tend to extend the shift points more and maybe hang out in a gear longer than if PDK were in auto mode. So I don't know if I'm the best person to give feedback in this scenario.
I guess the power may not seem too noticeable if you are just crusin at under 3k in PDK. But then again, low end torque is not the strength of any tune for these cars. However, even though the big power is up top, there is noticeably more grunt throughout the rev range. ( again, not life changing amounts, but its there )
For me though, I cant go back to stock, there's just too much of a difference as a whole.

My next step is to get a header ( in a few months though ) which in combination with the tune adds substantial torque around 3k. That combination might be the best path for your needs.
I would def suggest to anyone to give it a try. There is a return policy if it doesn't work for your needs.:cheers:

Reactions: Black Bart

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

In cities, my base boxster stays 3-4k+. IMO just downshift and rev higher if you're wanting more power. Staying below 4k in normal driving gets the job done and is definitely 'fast enough.' So if that's the way of thinking, yes mods/ tuning isn't really going to help things, but the point is people do rev 4k+ in normal city driving (this the only time you can actually...assuming traffic isn't in the way).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi #thenewguy.

Yes, very satisfied on how the car feels. The Tune has made a noticeable difference; and even though the big power is up top, there truly is some more grunt throughout the rev range. (i don't want to seem like I'm exaggerating or anything; nothing huge on the low end, its just better)
But those last 2k rpm from 6-8, oh man; when in sport mode, give it WOT the car screams and pulls. I'm assuming because the throttle body stays open more?
I haven't had a chance to dyno yet, but it's still is in the works. You know, life gets in the way....;)

Below are some other places where I've posted.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...ml#post1287737

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/116635-looking-definitive-answer-performance-mods-2-7-a-post1286057.html#post1286057

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...ling-my-hair-out-post1294577.html#post1294577
Hey man, Great stuff. Really appreciate the posts. Looking forward to hearing about the Dyno and the headers upgrades

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just purchased the kit too, very excited, thanks for the great service Rhonda and the team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi, did you get the headers. I am also happy with the FVD tune, and would consider the headers if they were a good step up in torque in conjunction with the tune. I can't see any stats on that combo, so hopefully someone will do it. I have PSE as well and am very happy with it, so for me it would just be the headers with cats.

Cheers!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi, I Have not bought headers just yet, but I WILL. The summer has been incredibly busy for me and honestly the car has been performing more than great. I swear that humble 2.7 engine has some Old School F1 screams in it. Between 6-8k rpm, I'm going nuts on how good it sounds. The tune has been and and still is wonderful.
And yes if you have PSE, I agree you should get cattted headers. Another Member had a similar situation as yours, and went catless.... was way too loud.

Reactions: Black Bart

·
Registered
245 Posts
Have a 981CS so was very pleased to see the significant gains reported here by the tuner.

Has anyone tried this on their car and willing to share real life details?

Question to the tuner - why the need to change this back to stock tune before taking it to the dealer, how will they be able to tell that the map is non-standard?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi imi,

There are a lot of threads that cover this stuff, fascinating reading!

Cheers Les

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just drove my car on a Porsche track day with the FVD tune. Drove around the track at pretty high speed and with two other Caymans, one S and another Black Edition (base with PDK) like mine, although mine has sports chrono. The S did pull away a little on the straight but not much at all, the other Black Edition was easy to pick off with the FVD tune in my car, very satisfying! just sayin....... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is it worth it to do the tune to an otherwise unmodified daily driver 2.7 Cayman? Any impact on gas mileage, or anything else out of the ordinary?
Yes it is worth it. The biggest issue on your mileage will be how much you can control your right foot with the new tune!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is it worth it to do the tune to an otherwise unmodified daily driver 2.7 Cayman? Any impact on gas mileage, or anything else out of the ordinary?
Yes, do it. I've had the tune for months and mostly daily drive; would never go back.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Any downsides? Like even the smallest nit-pick?
The “Genius” device supplied with the tune is functional but not amazing. I was worried it was going to konk out half way through the tune and brick my car. I would have preferred to pay more and get a device that didn’t look like it was a free prize in a cereal box. I would never call the process intuitive.

The tune, headers, support, and turnaround on the custom tune from FVD are all top-notch.

Edit: We’ll well. I’m now guilty of responding to a post 6 years old…

21 - 40 of 40 Posts