Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: FVD Brombacher –Software Special- $ 746 for 987.2 /987.1 & 986 Boxsters and Cayma

[email protected], thanks kindly for your assistance answering my question this morning about the 30-day money back guarantee (starts when my new map/file is sent...). And thanks for additional information about the product. It's pretty rare to have a young lady be very knowledgeable about power adders - plenums, headers, TBs, DME/ECUs, and the like. You were as versed as any car-guy I've spoken with! As many of my posts attest, I'm pretty jaded when it comes to aftermarket anything, so I'll post my findings after I install the new map. The wonderful buying experience has moved me from pessimist to someone with guarded optimism. Given the anticipated delivery, perhaps with my work schedule I'll have something to report next weekend (November 2nd or 3rd). Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Re: FVD Brombacher –Software Special- $ 746 for 987.2 /987.1 & 986 Boxsters and Cayma

I totally agree with davekmdmd. Rhonda is fantastic. I did my flash yesterday on my '07 Cayman 987.1 and while I have no official dyno numbers, I can tell you there is a big difference with this software. Prior to this the only modifications to the car is a Borla cat back exhaust and a K&N filter. The process was very simple. It's like most other flashes except the only thing you ever connect to the car is the mygenius tool they supply. This way there is no chance of Windows corrupting your cars computer. Think of the mygenius tool as a fancy thumb drive. As far as the results, there is a noticeable increase in mid range torque. The car pulls a lot harder than before and the throttle response is much quicker and more linear throughout its range. There is no doubt that the 0-60 times have improved. They claim a gas mileage increase so I will keep my eye on that over the coming weeks.

As far as support goes, like I said, Rhonda is terrific. She is very patient and incredibly knowledgeable. She gives you real world expectations not just a sales pitch many from experiences with her own Porsche. I even received a call directly from one of the guys in Germany to follow up and make sure everything went well and to offer some tips.

Overall it was an excellent experience and I look forward to dealing with them in the future for my next mods.

:cheers::thanks:

·
Vendor
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Thanks so much for your kind words davekmdmd and Jdc1023. So happy that your experience with us has been positive. Myself and the programmers strive to bring you the very best experience possible both today and in the future so don't ever hesitate to contact us should you have questions.

·
Registered
98 Posts

The thread has gotten a bit quiet and boy I’d like to know what FVD has to say about the tuning differences between an S and R.

So far as we’ve gathered (or have been told) the R & the S have identical engine hardware. The slight difference in power is reportedly due to DME (ECU) s/w programming and to the exhaust system. We know the exhaust system is in fact different. The diameter of the exhaust pipe from the CAT into the zeppelin has been reported (Planet-9 and other forums) as 55mm. I’ve measured my exhaust pipe on my CR, passenger side, right at the junction of the exhaust pipe with the zeppelin and found mine to be 54mm OD. (I measured the circumference at 6 11/16”). I’m pretty sure the actual exhaust to the tip is the same on the R as the S. Mine measures at about 58mm. In fact I think my used tip came off an S…

I do not have a venier caliper or a micrometer but the tubing thickness appears to be about 1.5mm. So an S’ exhaust ID is around 45mm, the R’ at 51. A simple area calculation shows that the 51 mm ID tubing has a little over 3 1/8” square inches and the S at about 2 ½”. The 51mm ID has 28% more area than a 45 mm ID pipe. That’s pretty significant.

Is the increased diameter of the exhaust into the zeppelin on the R the major source of that elusive 10HP gap between the S & R? Is there more than the exhaust pipe diameter contributing to the performance? Another poster said they’ve examined the zeppelin and it definitely has a CAT in it. So the secondary CAT is not missing as has been erroneously reported (and regurgitated by me). Is the R’s secondary CAT any different than the S?

FVD’s own tuning value recognizes that same 10hp difference. There are certainly way more GenII S’ than R’s so if would seem to me that if FVD could extract comparable power tuning an S to R specs, from a business opportunity perspective if they could, they would. FVD’s site indicates a tuned S produces 333hp and a tuned R produces 343hp. The 10hp bias still remains even after s/w tuning. Every indication exists that there’s a limitation somewhere. Is it h/w or s/w or both? Are the engine internal components identical? I’m sure, like the ad says, inquiring minds would like to know, especially given any uber performance 981 Cayman is a year or two away. And when it does arrive it may not have any more power than a tuned GenII S (or R). But that’s another debate for another thread. Clearly I think we’d all like to see what FVD says!

·
Vendor
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

My sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you on the Cayman R vs. the Cayman S. Our lead programmer in Germany says that the only difference with our numbers is that the Cayman R in Germany comes standard with the Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE). That is what allows the PSE Cayman R’s to reach 330 Hp stock above 7,200 rpms.
There are subtle differences in the software between the S and R, which is to be expected, but they are not related. So, if you have the PSE from the factory you can achieve the 343 Hp that we claim above 7,200 rpms on either the S or the R. Or even more simply put, the Cayman R and Cayman S will get +13 crank HP & +12 crank TQ with our software.

·
Registered
98 Posts

I just took delivery of the tuning tool yesterday afternoon! 3 days of ground transit from Fl to MD, not bad at all. I hope to install the s/w and send out my base/current tune tonight.

·
Registered
532 Posts

I just took delivery of the tuning tool yesterday afternoon! 3 days of ground transit from Fl to MD, not bad at all. I hope to install the s/w and send out my base/current tune tonight.
congrats, keep us updated as to how everything works out. :banana:

·
Registered
141 Posts

Will this remove CEL lights if i have a catless header?

·
Vendor
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Dave, Glad to hear. I have already notified the guys in Germany that you will be reading it out tonight so they will be on the lookout for it. You should receive it tomorrow morning by no later than 9 or 10 am.

i pm u, please reply me
Nismo, I just sent an email back to you.

Will this remove CEL lights if i have a catless header?
Absolutely.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts

My sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you on the Cayman R vs. the Cayman S. Our lead programmer in Germany says that the only difference with our numbers is that the Cayman R in Germany comes standard with the Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE). That is what allows the PSE Cayman R’s to reach 330 Hp stock above 7,200 rpms.
There are subtle differences in the software between the S and R, which is to be expected, but they are not related. So, if you have the PSE from the factory you can achieve the 343 Hp that we claim above 7,200 rpms on either the S or the R. Or even more simply put, the Cayman R and Cayman S will get +13 crank HP & +12 crank TQ with our software.
The above isn't true. As has already been mentioned in this thread, the 10 additional hp in the R model comes from increased diameter, post-header exhaust plumbing. PSE was an option on both the S and the R. There are different part numbers for the following:

987.2 S non-PSE exhaust
987.2 S PSE exhaust
987.2 R non-PSE exhaust
987.2 R PSE exhaust

This explains why the tuned R dyno reads 10 hp higher than a tuned S dyno.

The R model has a redline that is 200 RPM higher than the S. This is where the software differences between the two models comes into play. Though this does nothing as far as peak hp goes.

·
Registered
490 Posts

I upgraded my '11 Cayman S with the FVD tune and catback exhaust about 18 months ago. I reported at the time that my car was completely transformed…and it was. Throttle response is much improved and the car just races for redline. It's really amazing. Transformation is the word I keep coming back to as nothing else fully describes the change these two additions made to my car. I continue to be completely satisfied and so pleased. I'm so pleased with the throttle response and power of the car that the temptation to add a turbo has been easy to resist.
Having done both upgrades at the same time, it's hard to separate the value of each. But I would never go back to the factory exhaust note. The FVD system sounds just so good I live for parking garages and closed spaces to hear the system better even if at a lower RPM. I wish I could hear it at full song flash by on the country roads I run! As well though I'd never give up the added throttle response and power throughout the rev range the software provides. In 18 months my smile has never abated. Now that is VALUE!

·
Registered
98 Posts

That would say a gen2 S can get 343hp with an R exhaust and tune...

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts

FormulaOne, I love hearing stories like yours! It's about miles of smiles, and you seem to have had many of them with these upgrades. I look forward to joining you.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Come on in Dr. Phil, the waters fine!

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts

That would say a gen2 S can get 343hp with an R exhaust and tune...
This is true. I put an R PSE on my car but never had it dynoed and my butt dyno isn't sensitive enough to feel a 3% bump in power. I went with the R version simply because I was going to retrofit a PSE anyway and the cost for the R cans was the similar to the S cans, so why not get the extra bit of power?

If it's power you're after and you have to choose between one or the other, this tune is a much better value proposition than a PSE.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts

Would the Boxster Spyder be the same gains as the Cayman R?

·
Registered
98 Posts

Re: Spyder, based on what the folks here are saying, since the spyder makes 320, it's probably tuned from the mother-company like a CS, I'm thinking you'd need an R exhaust or 'equivalent' to reach what an R would get tuned to.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts