Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: FVD Brombacher –Software Special- $ 746 for 987.2 /987.1 & 986 Boxsters and Cayma

I really want to try this but I just put my car in storage for the winter. I don't know if I could stand buying this and sitting on it for 5 months until the car comes out again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: FVD Brombacher –Software Special- $ 746 for 987.2 /987.1 & 986 Boxsters and Cayma

I really want to try this but I just put my car in storage for the winter. I don't know if I could stand buying this and sitting on it for 5 months until the car comes out again.
"Desire is irrelevant"

:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts

Wow, I really would not be in favor of raising the rev limiter on stock 987 engines. The rod bolts are weak and stretchy from all accounts and the stock rev limit and piston speed should definitely not be exceeded.

Would this higher rev limiter also prevent the over-rev counter from registering events in the upper zones? Kiss resale goodbye for cars with a lot of over-revs recorded. I wouldn't buy one unless it had new rods and bolts at a minimum.

How can you tout "reliability" when you raise the rev limiter? Just sayin'.

:crazy:

·
Registered
408 Posts

Wow, I really would not be in favor of raising the rev limiter on stock 987 engines.
I was thinking the same thing... did the 987s come with a 3.4 liter Metzger? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts

Do we have to have a windows OS? will this work on a mac?
bc:

Yes, you have to do Windows. Do not try Windows running in a virtual machine software environment (like VM Ware) on you Mac. I tried it with Softronics. It won't work and I had major troubles with my installation because of that and nearly burned up my ECU. Had to send it to Scott for re-grooving. It was not simple and a bit scary getting that thing out without instructions and then sending it away by FedEx. They are tied to your VIN number and are not replaceable without Stuttgart involvement and accompanying expense. I got lucky.

Only way to use a Mac is if you use Bootstrap, where you actually boot Windows from Off on a partition of your HD.

That makes an actual Windows computer out of your Mac. Better to just borrow or buy a used PC laptop. I kept my old Dell and it works fine for this.

You need a good wifi signal where the work is being done. I had to run a 50' cord out my back yard to and set my wifi router on a bench outside. Then the garage signal was OK. I think next time I'll try doing it in the street.

Last thing is that you want a 15 amp or better charger on the battery and you want the battery fully charged before you start this. I had a 10 amp and thought it would work. It didn't. I went out and bought one later. It's a good thing to have around.

The cooling fans start up and run during the flash. They draw 40 amps or so and you do not want low voltage during the process. That's what happened to me when I used my Mac. Even through the screen looked right, the car wouldn't complete the process and just hung with the fans on. Eventually, I had to stop the process mid-stream and that knocked the CPU out of whack.

So:

Real PC laptop unless you're an advanced user and know how Bootstrap works and have a copy of Windows 7

Good internet hard-wire or strong wifi signal

15 amp or better charger with fully charged battery.

The process is pretty simple and takes about 5 minutes but you can't cut corners on the prep.

:cheers:

·
Vendor
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Wow, I really would not be in favor of raising the rev limiter on stock 987 engines.
I was thinking the same thing... did the 987s come with a 3.4 liter Metzger? ;)
The beauty about our software is that it can accommodate everyone wishes. If you don’t want the raised rev limiter simply mention it when you email your list of how you want the car programmed, it’s that simple.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts

It will absolutely work on a Mac !!
Well….There's an advantage over Softronics!!!

Rhonda…. Seriously, you cannot advertise engine reliability and at the same time raise the rev limiter on these stock engines. They can't take it and they record every over-rev for future prospective owners to see. If your horsepower number is dependent on a higher rev limiter, you have to change that. It's absolutely unethical raise red line on these.

-TB

·
Vendor
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

bc: Yes, you have to do Windows. Do not try Windows running in a virtual machine software environment (like VM Ware) on you Mac. I tried it with Softronics.
Completely wrong. With all due respect, this does not work like the softronics software. Our software delivery tool uses its own operating system (OS) so there is ZERO likelihood of software files being corrupted through Windows®. So MAC can absolutely be used.

I will give you a little background on why have chosen to switch to this delivery method...we have been a Durametric Dealer since 2007 and used the same "cable solution" to deliver our software along with the durametric diagnostic tool since that date. So we are well aware of the pros and cons of the "cable solution" for flashing ECU’s. In regards to the cons, the Durametric cable is not the issue. Simply put, the Windows OS is the issue as many of our customers had windows defender, anti-virus programs, firewalls and several background applications installed. These processes running in the background would interfere with the writing process. Even the customers that were 100% sure that all of these applications were turned off, had instances of applications running that would interfere with the writing process. So we have chosen to deliver our software in the safest manner possible by using a standalone tool which has nothing to do with the Windows OS.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts

Completely wrong. With all due respect, this does not work like the softronics software. Our software delivery tool uses its own operating system (OS) so there is ZERO likelihood of software files being corrupted through Windows®. So MAC can absolutely be used.

I will give you a little background on why have chosen to switch to this delivery method...we have been a Durametric Dealer since 2007 and used the same "cable solution" to deliver our software along with the durametric diagnostic tool since that date. So we are well aware of the pros and cons of the "cable solution" for flashing ECU’s. In regards to the cons, the Durametric cable is not the issue. Simply put, the Windows OS is the issue as many of our customers had windows defender, anti-virus programs, firewalls and several background applications installed. These processes running in the background would interfere with the writing process. Even the customers that were 100% sure that all of these applications were turned off, had instances of applications running that would interfere with the writing process. So we have chosen to deliver our software in the safest manner possible by using a standalone tool which has nothing to do with the Windows OS.
Rhonda:

All due respect,

I installed my Softronics a couple years ago. It's a good product, but it was tricky to install and I missed nearly every trick! I went through tortures of the damned to get my car running on it. Now that it's working, it's great.

Glad to see someone has solved this. Better for both Mac and Windows users, I think.

I've not used your software. There is really no need to buy both! Thanks for pointing this out, though. i think it's great.

I stick by my statement that standard software for stock water cooled Porsche engines that are not GT3 or GT2 should not raise the rev-limter even one RPM.

I've had several performance chips on 2 older M3s. All of them raised the rev limiter and I had no problems, but Porsche doesn't make their rod bolts very strong and has a higher rev limit to begin with. Running these motors on track is sort of playing with fire anyway, especially Gen 1 cars, but raising the rev limiters is really asking for trouble unless the car has been "race-proofed" with new rod bolts at a minimum.

Additionally, the over-rev recorder will rightly destroy resale value of any car that has been run past red-line. Any car I'd look at buying with over-revs recorded, I would only buy with a plan to tear down the engine before use. I'd price the car accordingly.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Ok folks here’s my feedback on the FVD tune for my CR…

Short form:
Holy atomic pile Batman … this croc’s got legs!

Long form:
I wasn’t able to get the new tune on my CR until late Sunday afternoon after pi$$ing around putting a venturi/filter on the car. I spent way more time getting the air filter on the car than performing the tune. I got the air filter on the car, mid-afternoon, and took the car for a good spin, which turned into a longer than planned ride on a glorious, mid-Atlantic autumn afternoon. I wanted to get a feel for any performance improvement, but alas my ‘tooshi dyno’ says not much that I can detect, but intake noise? That was worth the price of admission alone. (I didn’t expect much of a HP boost nor was the product sold as a HP booster ..) The intake honk about 4K is just so friggin c-o-o-l. Love it. Coupled with my used tip, I get a bit more exhaust bark and way more intake honk. But it’s not obnoxious or bothersome (to me). Take it easy on the gas and accelerate like a citizen, you can hardly notice much of an aural change. Mash the throttle and it’s Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. The beast gets awakened!

OK I act like a spoiled teenage brat dogging my dad’s sports car, downshifting, upshifting, staying in low gears for the sake of keeping the revs up. Juvenile for sure... After way too many spent hydrocarbons “testing the air filter” I decided to head home to prepare dinner and to install the FVD tune.

I put the car on a charger and even though recently run, it pulled 10 amps and then over the course of the next ½ hr or so slowing dropped until I couldn’t see much of a charge. Maybe my battery is going up …. I was VERY nervous about installing the new map, thinking man if I *&^% this up, the car is toast and a beautiful Sunday becomes the nightmare weekend from Hades.

Well it turns out that installing the new s/w was EASILY the easiest thing I’ve done on this car. I’ve not done much (plenum, tip, filter), but everything has been a hassle, some a beat to the ground battle, knock out - drag out ordeal, with the car normally winning. The FVD tune was a piece of cake.

I pitched the directions I had printed out since the base map retrieval instructions were out of date. I figured the write instructions would also be out of date (and were). I just let the tool guide me through the installation, letting me know when to turn the ignition on or off. I connected the OBDII connector, rolled the window down, exited the car, and did the install from outside the vehicle. I wanted to record my actions in a notebook but nervousness took over and I wound up just blindly following what the tool indicated.

I reached a point where the tool indicated it was starting the write process and then my front radiator fans kicked on. But they kicked on like I’ve never heard them kick on before. (Looking back I don’t think I’ve actually EVER heard my fans kick on while the car was stopped). They started slowly spinning up, then spun faster and faster and faster. Cripes I thought, this thing sounds like a turbine at 20 grand! Holy heart attack Batman! I thought maybe something was wrong as the fan roar was quite loud, not deafening, but (for me) a bit unnerving, as if something was wrong.

I checked my battery charger and cripeze it was pulling 12 or 13 amps! No wonder you are warned several times to have your car on a charger. I couldn’t stand the anticipation, or the fan noise, watching the excruciatingly slow progress bar on the tool creep towards done, so I went inside to prepare dinner and tried not to think about what the heck was going on. I returned about 10 mins later and the write was nearly done, but the fans were on full tilt, screaming away. Then the tool said something about writing an error log or checking on an error and the fans turned off. Everything got eerily silent and I thought, oh <expletive deleted>. The tool had me turn the ignition (dash) on and off several times and at one point I really thought I was re-starting the ENTIRE write process completely over from scratch, like one of those PC s/w installation loops where the s/w doesn’t install and brings you back to step 1 over and over again in s/w Hades. But shortly a screen came up and gave me a brief message the install was done. I think the last screen was turn off the ignition and remove the OBDII connector. I translated this into ‘Dude relax, the install is done, you’re good to go, don’t see any errors on this end, everything looks perfect’.

So I opened the door and pulled the OBDII connector. I set the tool aside, moved the garage junk out of the way and fired the car up. Man it fired up IMMEDIATELY. I started to back out and though, geez, is it my imagination or is the off idle response a little angrier? The car was still hot from the extended “air-filter test” so I didn’t need to warm it up. I headed up the street slowly to the stop sign separating our community and the surrounding rural farm roads. I eased past the stop sign in first, with clutch fully out, poking along at maybe 10 or 15 mph and just punched the throttle. No reving and side-stepping the clutch, just punch the throttle. The car squatted down, started to light up the rear tires, and the dash light for traction control kicked on. It didn’t flicker, it come on hard. The croc was trying to light up the tires, going straight, and the electronics were clearly intervening. I’ve never seen that happen on a level road from acceleration. Not in my 2007 S, not in this R. The only time I’ve seen the stability management / traction control kick in is when I purposely hammer a slow speed turn and try to hang the tail out.

Suffice to say the car now really has some character. No it’s not a tire smoking V8, but the car clearly moves out with authority and makes some wonderful intake and exhaust sounds. It bolts out of corners and hits much harder. It revs way more easily. The throttle mapping is so much more linear and connected to what the car is doing. The stock tune was non-linear as he!! Press, nothing, press nothing, press nothing, then zam, revs finally happen. This is much, much improved. Unfortunately for me, the hour was getting late, the sun was going down and I didn’t want to tempt fate. Things were looking way too rosy and I thought there is no way I’m going to have fate come along and <expletive deleted> on me by sending a deer into the road at dusk. I went a few miles, hit a few more turns, and came home satisfied, that by far, this is the best performance investment I’ve made.

My only wish is that the folks who perform the Carnewall GT exhaust mods here in the USA would become a forum sponsor and run a special, so I can get even more exhaust noise. And if I can just conjure up a set of sport buckets, I’d say things are looking mighty good!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts

davekmdmd: great to hear you are so happy with the ECU flash.
I did mine this morning, and although the upload ended with some errors, I spoke to Emir in Germany and he said the flash had succeeded and to clear the errors with my Durametric. Did that and the car started up instantly, like your experience.
I must have the most insensitive popo dyno because I can't feel a 3% increase in HP or 4% in torque, but the new "linearity" of the throttle is certainly noticeable (but very similar to the SprintBooster, which I now don't need!) The car seems to pull a little more around 3000rpm, but that "dip" in the torque curve at 3500 (it's on every Cayman dyno plot ever published, and corresponds to the cam timing switch, or so I'm told) is still there.
I'd say it's a solid upgrade, but certainly not at the level of a great set of tires in terms of performance improvement (which I believe is the most under-rated improvement anyone can make on their car, any car.)
But short of a turbo, I've done everything I can to my 06CS. Time for a GT3 I fear...

BTW, the service is fantastic from FVD. Really among the best service I have ever experienced. Transferring the software to the factory, and getting it back and on to the OBDII device is about as easy as drag and drop!

·
Registered
98 Posts

Dr. Phil, if you've done a great many mods, you may have been at the point of diminishing marginal returns... I've not really done much at all, and so my marginal return may have been more. I also think my sticking with the stock throttle body may have complimented this tune as opposed with going with the GT3 TB. The latter makes more peak power but I'm betting at very high revs, over a narrower range, and may have less total area under 'the curve'. I wanted better low and mid-range and so I stuck with the stock TB.

I'll be switching off PSM when I test next and we'll see if the CR will light em up. Unfortunately Dyno facilities here aren't all that plentiful OR only do runs during weekdays. No I'm not taking off to Dyno my car. The shop that did my baseline last November has closed. The in ground Dynojet got ripped out and sold. So now even if I find another shop, it's unclear how to interpret whatever numbers are produced. The best I could do is compare against any CR they've run on their equipment and use that as 'the' baseline. I may yet give that a try. There's a shop that specializes in Subies that has a Dyno about 25 miles away...

It was a good mod for me, who knows I might be pushing 350 at the crank.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Wow, this requires a 15 amp charger? I only have a CTEK battery maintainer that gets plugged into my cigarette lighter. I looked at the spec and it says it charges 3.3A max.

Will I run into issues?

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts

Wow, this requires a 15 amp charger? I only have a CTEK battery maintainer that gets plugged into my cigarette lighter. I looked at the spec and it says it charges 3.3A max.

Will I run into issues?
HK:

I would guess that you would. When you hear these fans going you'll be glad you bought that big charger for $50 or so at Wal-Mart.

You really need:

AT LEAST 10 amps clamped directly to the battery. 15 amps is better. The fans draw 40 amps and are LOUD. Be prepared for that. They turn on in the middle of the process.

A wired internet connection or a good reliable signal on a wireless network. Do not use a cell-based internet connection. Not fast enough and you'll have issues.

A good laptop.

When you have all these things, and follow the directions, it's simple. If you take shortcuts, you'll regret it about halfway through the process. If you can't get that together, call a reliable non-dealer sports car shop and have them do it for you.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts

BTW you don't need a laptop or a wireless connection to do the FVD download or upload (which occurs at the car.) The dimsport device they give you is stand alone and not connected to the internet during the reading or writing. You will need a laptop or a desktop to send your ECU download to FVD once downloaded from the device, and to copy the new modified ECU flash to the device before uploading to the car, but that can be done anywhere, anytime.
As for the charger, it's a great idea! I had some problems with the upload because I didn't have my battery supported by a charger. It worked out for me just fine, but when those fans turn on full blast, the battery sags for sure, and can cause errors with the upload.
Like sixisenuf, I'd highly recommend getting a charger than can support the battery during the upload process.
(PS, since sixisenuf has done the Softronic ECU flash, I believe his recommendations apply to that rather than the FVD flash. The Softronic uses a laptop via the Durametric cable to perform the flash I think, but as I said above, FVD uses a dimsport stand alone device to connect to the OBDII port.)

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts

BTW you don't need a laptop or a wireless connection to do the FVD download or upload (which occurs at the car.) The dimsport device they give you is stand alone and not connected to the internet during the reading or writing. You will need a laptop or a desktop to send your ECU download to FVD once downloaded from the device, and to copy the new modified ECU flash to the device before uploading to the car, but that can be done anywhere, anytime.
As for the charger, it's a great idea! I had some problems with the upload because I didn't have my battery supported by a charger. It worked out for me just fine, but when those fans turn on full blast, the battery sags for sure, and can cause errors with the upload.
Like sixisenuf, I'd highly recommend getting a charger than can support the battery during the upload process.
(PS, since sixisenuf has done the Softronic ECU flash, I believe his recommendations apply to that rather than the FVD flash. The Softronic uses a laptop via the Durametric cable to perform the flash I think, but as I said above, FVD uses a dimsport stand alone device to connect to the OBDII port.)
Phil:

You are correct, sir!

·
Registered
155 Posts

Will I run into issues?
It's what I used and it worked fine, even when the fans kicked in.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts