Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Installed the FVD cat back on my 09 CS last night. I stopped by the shop to see when they were planning to start the install and the car was ready to go on the lift. After they put the car on the lift it took about 1.5 hours to complete the job. I used Gatorback's instructions and had no issues.

Items of note:

Taking the wheels off makes it a bit easier. On my car I did not have to modify the rear bumper bracket. I did have to loosen the 2 bottom screws on the bracket to get the bumper out far enough to slide the muffler in. The hanger brackets which come with the kit need to be installed after you get the muffler in place. On my car I could not rotate the muffler into place with the brackets installed. That's all I would add.

The sound is perfect. A nice bit of a raspy note on start-up and it then settles to a burble. Under normal acceleration the sound is louder but in a good way. Accelerate hard and you'll find the smile on your face directly connected to the accelerator. On deceleration with the PDK you can hear each crisp shift and rev match.

Drone - There is no drone. Cruising from 55 - 70 mph (1600 -2200 rpm) in 7th with PDK the car is almost the same as stock. Dropping back to 6th and cruising in the 3000 rpm range there is no drone. If you lug it a bit and accelerate the exhaust note does change but it is not an irritating drone.

Rhonda at FVD was great to deal with and the product is exceptional.

Once I clean the car up I'll add some photos.

Edit: Sound Version

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats on your new exhaust and I’m glad to hear that there is no drone even with 7th gear keeping the car in the 1800-2200 RPM range. I’m especially glad because Rhonda talked me into their full system which I should be receiving in a couple weeks to install on my 2010 with PDK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the FVD Export(Sound) version installed on my 2009 Boxster S about 3 weeks ago and have exactly the same observations - absolutely fantastic sound with no drone. And Rhonda was an absolute delight to work with. I highly recommend this muffler!!!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
FVD exhaust is on my next to buy list :D

Do you have any pics / video clips?

I would love to hear it on a gen 2 before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
205 Posts
FVD exhaust is on my next to buy list :D

Do you have any pics / video clips?

I would love to hear it on a gen 2 before pulling the trigger.

I have a Gen I Cayman S and just installed the FVD. You will have no regrets both with the system nor dealing with Rhonda at FVD. Great exhaust sound and great customer service. Pull the trigger!!!

Chris

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
So will I regret it if I get the quieter TUV version? I like a sporty sound, but don't want to set off car alarms and attract too much attention. I'm currently using a Fabspeed setup but am considering a change. Is the Sound version louder than my current Fabspeed exhaust? FDV swears that both versions give the same HP/Torque boost.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think you'll be happy with either choice. There is a good chance that the system will increase in volume. Many stamped design mufflers have what looks like an oil dry sock inside. It's purpose is to modify the sound. Depending on the quality it may deteriorate
at a faster rate. If that's the case your exhaust may get a bit more throaty. I think this may be what many refer to as 'broken in.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There are great sound/video clips if you google it.

I was planning on getting a Remus system for my Gen2 cayman. What is the pros/cons of going with FVD vs Remus???

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DrKareem,

Unfortunately I do not have a video camera. There is a clip posted by someone with a new Boxster S.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was planning on getting a Remus system for my Gen2 cayman. What is the pros/cons of going with FVD vs Remus???
Recently received my FVD Brombacher. Remus was my second choice. Both excellent systems. FVD is German, Remus is Austrian. Comparable quality & price. Difference comes down mainly to sound. I prefer the FVD, a little quieter, sounds more Porsche-like. The Remus sounds awesome, spine-tingling even, but a little louder, and not quite as Porsche-like. Just my opinions, based on hours of research & video watching. Obviously best to hear both in person, inside car & out. HTH. Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts