Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided a month or so ago that I would go with the FVD flash and run catless headers on my 2006 Boxster S. Seeing as I use a MacBook Pro, I knew I had to load a proper version of Windows on it if I was to do the flash. Consequently, I upgraded my Mac OS to Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and ran BootCamp to set up and then install Windows XP with service pack 2. Rhonda at FVD assured me that this was a fine set up to flash my DME with their tuned file.

I then purchased the Durametric cable and Flash client software from FVD, and installed the later and the drivers without a hitch. Next, I read out the original file and sent it on its merry way—no problems so far.

I received the original and tuned files back from FVD and followed their detailed instructions to a tee for writing the new tuned file to the DME, being especially careful to follow sixisenuff's admonishments in the Softronic winter sale thread. That's when the trouble began. :(

As the writing proceeded, the progress window indicated that a "write address failed" while writing to memory bank 4, but then proceeded to move forward to memory bank 7, at which point it gave up, indicating that I should remove the key from the ignition and start the write process all over again, which I did, with the same results. Not good.

I immediately called Flo at FVD and explained what had happened. He said to try to write the original file to the DME instead of the tuned file. I tried, and things progressed smoothly until memory bank 7, at which point I encountered the same fatal error message as before.

I called Flo again, and he said he would have to contact the head FVD programmer in Germany (its after hours there at this time) and get back to me in 45 minutes, which he did. Bad news. The problem was serious enough, I was told, that FVD express shipped me a new DME already loaded with the tuned software. The DME went out Tuesday morning from Germany and arrived at my doorstep in Florida this morning (Thursday).

Flo sent me a pdf file with detailed instructions for removing and installing a DME in a Boxster, and I pm'd sixisenuff for extra tidbits on the install, seeing as he went through much the same ordeal as me. It took me about 30 minutes to remove the old DME and install the new, and after readapting the throttle, the car fired right up! I was elated, as you might guess.

I am truly pleased with the service provided by Flo at FVD. He was continuously in contact with me, always polite, and he even gave me his (and another fellow's) cell phone number so that I could get ahold of him after hours. Moreover, the FVD staff in Germany were working on my problem "after hours." To boot, the new DME did not cost me a cent, nor did FVD charge me for shipping. FVD will issue a call tag and have UPS pick up the old DME and send it back to Germany.

In sum, I was of course disappointed that the writing of the tuned file failed, but am extremely pleased with how FVD handled the whole affair—first-class service in my opinion. Thanks Flo!

I will start a new thread and report on how the new tune feels after I have some more seat time.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I am truly pleased with the service provided by Flo at FVD. He was continuously in contact with me, always polite, and he even gave me his (and another fellow's) cell phone number so that I could get ahold of him after hours. Moreover, the FVD staff in Germany were working on my problem "after hours." To boot, the new DME did not cost me a cent, nor did FVD charge me for shipping. FVD will issue a call tag and have UPS pick up the old DME and send it back to Germany.

In sum, I was of course disappointed that the writing of the tuned file failed, but am extremely pleased with how FVD handled the whole affair—first-class service in my opinion. Thanks Flo!
Sounds like exceptional customer service, the kind of stories I love to hear.

Just as a suggestion, is there any way you could get your hands on a different computer and try the flash again, on the original DME, or is it too much trouble? If you were successful it would pinpoint your computer as the problem, and, since you have the spare DME on hand, you know you could get your car back on the road even if the attempt fails.

It would be good to know you have the capability to do a flash in the future in case they update the software.

Cheers,
Chuck

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like exceptional customer service, the kind of stories I love to hear.

Just as a suggestion, is there any way you could get your hands on a different computer and try the flash again, on the original DME, or is it too much trouble? If you were successful it would pinpoint your computer as the problem, and, since you have the spare DME on hand, you know you could get your car back on the road even if the attempt fails.

It would be good to know you have the capability to do a flash in the future in case they update the software.

Cheers,
Chuck
I did just as you suggested, i.e., before I swapped out the DME I loaded the Flash Client software and drivers on a Dell machine and tried to flash the DME. This did not work either.

Flo assured me that it was not my computer, as he said the head programmer (or some such person) at FVD used a Mac running BootCamp and Windows and had successfully flashed many cars in Germany.

I will be in contact with Flo regarding the return of my old DME, and will ask him then if he knows why the write failed. I will also ask if the original and tuned files that they sent me can be used to flash my new DME, should the situation so dictate.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I am commiserating with you, I hate when things don't go as planned. I would feel leery of hooking up a computer to the car without some firm assurances from FVD, or a spare DME on hand.

Best of luck getting this sorted out, and Merry Christmas.

Cheers,
Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts