Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,

Has anyone passed CA smog successfully with the FVD tune or after reverting back to factory tune? I read that CA smog testing will now be inspecting ECU's for tunes. So I was curious if anyone has passed successfully. Also, if they could somehow detect you've tampered with the ECU even after reverting everything back to factory.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a 2014 CS with an EVOMS chip tune plus and IPD plenum and TB. Haven't had to pass a smog test yet but would be interested to know if anyone else has a similar set up for their engine and passed successfully.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Gents,

Has anyone passed CA smog successfully with the FVD tune or after reverting back to factory tune? I read that CA smog testing will now be inspecting ECU's for tunes. So I was curious if anyone has passed successfully. Also, if they could somehow detect you've tampered with the ECU even after reverting everything back to factory.
I live in Los Angeles and successfully passed smog yesterday, BUT, had to revert to stock ECU programming. I have a Cobb Accessport. When the smog testing guy saw it he asked right away if the stock program was loaded as he said it wouldn't pass otherwise. He says CA has really clamped down hard on any mods.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's all interesting news. I, unfortunately, live in California. I noticed now that they don't even bother with the exhaust sniffer. One change is that you need to have all OBDC monitors registering success. In the past you could have any 1 monitor registering fail and still pass.

How would the testing determine that the ECU had been reprogrammed if all systems register working correctly?

·
Premium Member
2013 Boxster S
46 Posts
I have Softronic tune installed in my '13 981 BS. I had to go through SMOG recently and it passed. Shop didn't notice anything different.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
757 Posts
I live in Los Angeles and successfully passed smog yesterday, BUT, had to revert to stock ECU programming. I have a Cobb Accessport. When the smog testing guy saw it he asked right away if the stock program was loaded as he said it wouldn't pass otherwise. He says CA has really clamped down hard on any mods.
Cobb is in process of CA Emissions certification. They removed download access to their non-compliant tunes last year, but haven't yet gotten the certification from CARB.

There was a guy looking for one of the old versions because the old version had CAT bypass code to disable the CEL in the Stage 2 tune, but the new tune does not.

Reactions: john rice

·
Registered
8 Posts
THANK YOU gents for the CA specific details.I've been wondeing what/how my next emissions testing might be. My '07S is 100% stock. I have another Porsche this very much relates to, so you have helped my peace of mind a lot. I'm sure others will also find this helpful.

·
Premium Member
2013 Boxster S
46 Posts
Oops, nice catch lastone, sorry for the confusion. We live in northbay, CA now. I need to change my profile

·
Premium Member
2013 Boxster S
46 Posts
Only other mod I have is Carnewal mod to stock exhaust. Nothing else.

·
Premium Member
2013 Boxster S
46 Posts
Forgot, nothing with electronics but swapped stock rear swaybar for the X73 version

·
Premium Member
2013 Boxster S
46 Posts
Lastone;
When I bought the car it had AWE-tuning exhaust, I wanted mellow close to stock sound. I had done carnewal mod to my 987.2 cayman S and wanted the same tone. It sounds beautiful, sound close to stock below 3000 rpm in normal mode, in sport and above 3k it opens up more and with softronic tune it bangs and pops above 5k when I lift off. I love it, best of both worlds I think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts