Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got on the track with the Garmin Catalyst this past Saturday.

It didn't record anything (no video or data) the first session, not sure why
The other three sessions, it recorded data from the start only once, it had GPS issues, and needed a reboot once.

In all 4 sessions, it failed to record any video.

Do I have to "calibrate" the camera everytime I hit DRIVE?

· Registered
28 Posts
The first thing I would check is the power.

My first day with the Catalyst, I had some odd ball issues. Long story short - when I changed the power source from the USB to the 12-volt power port (both in the glovebox of my Cayman) the issues disappeared.

The Catalyst seems to need to an adequate power/power source when recording data and video. The USB port in my car didn't provide enough juice.

Now, my SOP is to charge the Catalyst with an AC outlet the day before I head to the track to ensure the battery starts with a full charge, and then use the 12 volt powerport at the track.

You shouldn't need to recalibrate the camera every time, but it is a good idea to check the alignment before the first session - which is super easy to do.

One more thing - be sure to use the really long cable to connect the camera to the base. The instructions explicitly say to use the long cable at the track, and that the short cable is only for interfacing with your PC.

You are going to LOVE your Catalyst.

· Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
958 Posts
I assume you've updated to the latest firmware version and you have the correct track selected? I've heard quite a few issues with the power cord coming loose if when plugged into the lighter socket. The system requires continuous power to have the video work correctly. If you can hardwire it, you'll be better off.

There's a Catalyst Users FB group here...

Reactions: bigmoguls
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.