Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking a nice aluminum trim ring for the gauges in my Cayman would be a nice, classic upgrade. I've searched extensively and can't find a source. Is anyone aware of one?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I've been thinking a nice aluminum trim ring for the gauges in my Cayman would be a nice, classic upgrade. I've searched extensively and can't find a source. Is anyone aware of one?

Thanks
I saw them on eBay a couple of days ago, but can't seem to locate them now...

BTW, 1993 RX-7... allways loved that version of the RX-7, I had a 1990, not the same by any means but still a lot of fun!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. yeah, I've looked all over eBay and can't find them for the 981.

On the RX-7, I've actually owned all 3 gens. My first new car was a 1981, followed by an '87 turbo II and then the FD. Purchased the FD in July of '93. It's the only car I've ever owned that I just can't sell, although the 981 might also fit that bill! Here's one not so great picture of her.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Wheel

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Thanks. yeah, I've looked all over eBay and can't find them for the 981.

On the RX-7, I've actually owned all 3 gens. My first new car was a 1981, followed by an '87 turbo II and then the FD. Purchased the FD in July of '93. It's the only car I've ever owned that I just can't sell, although the 981 might also fit that bill! Here's one not so great picture of her.

View attachment 152866
Simply, Wow! Looks very clean... If I could find a good clean example of one I would buy it, if a completely stock CYM crossed my path I'd be done.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Simply, Wow! Looks very clean... If I could find a good clean example of one I would buy it, if a completely stock CYM crossed my path I'd be done.
Thanks! Clean FD's that haven't been badly modified or abused are unfortunately hard to find. I have to assume there are few original-owner cars out there as well. I believe there were less than 14K FD's imported to the US so that adds to the rarity of good examples. Mine has been pampered all it's life, but also driven. It was my DD the first 4 years of ownership, including winters, etc. Not a good car for the snow! Had 64K miles on her at that point, now just under 133K.

I did a full mechanical refresh at 96K miles, including a new motor and turbos. Motor was actually still good at that mileage, but secondary turbo was bad and I had an opportunity to buy a brand new motor from Mazda (not a reman) for $4K and so went ahead and did both the motor and turbos. Although I've done a downpipe, highflow cat, lightened flywheel, etc. I'm still running the stock intake and IC so keeping the boost in a safe range.

Sorry for the long post and non-981 content but if you get me started on RX-7's it's hard to stop! Oh and CYM, the rarest of the rare!
Lastly, I see you owned a '75 280Z - me too. That's another long story :)

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
they'd be nicer if available in brushed aluminium instead of ABS.....
or carbon fiber would be cool for those that already have the carbon fiber interior trim.
Agreed, especially CF but injection molded ABS is what keeps them cheap, I am sure the CF could be done but are you willing to buy at say $100 or more?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the link. Led me to this site which lists the trim rings specifically for the 981 and in the silver color I want. Appreciate the help!

Will do. They're coming directly from China so it may be weeks before they arrive. Installation should be a piece of cake. Just hoping they don't look cheesy. I agree that real aluminum would be much preferred, but they don't seem to exist for our cars.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ordered a Guards Red set just over a week ago. They are scheduled to be delivered next week. I'll keep y'all in the loop!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.