Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have a 2007 BMW 335xi and am coming off lease in Aug/Sept. Up until today, I was considering 3 cars - 2011 E92 M3, 2011 Z435si or 2011 CS. I drove the Z4 and wasn't too impressed - car seems sluggish. The M3 is...well, it's an M3. Powerful, easy on the eyes and overall bad-***. The only car left to drive was the CaymanS

By nothing less than a miracle, my local dealer Pepe Porsche in NY, has a 2010 CS PDK on their lot they just got...off for a test drive I was. All I can say is AMAZING. The car is solid as a rock, goes like no other and looks BEAUTIFUL in person, even more so than in pictures, I was instantly hooked.

So I chatted with the dealer and they are getting their 2011 allocations sometime next week and he is going to see if they can get me on CaymanS. Is there anything that I should know about when ordering the car - particularly a CaymanS? This is my first experience with Porsche so any insight would be helpful. Really looking for info regarding pricing, lease rates and options.

Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Welcome!

Reading and researching here is a great source of information. I will let those with more experience answer your questions about lease and so on.

I do know that if you get a PDK car you definitely want Sport Chrono, it interacts with the PDK. If you are using the car mainly on the street you may want PASM as well it will give you great handling in sport mode and a softer ride in normal mode. I find PASM an excellent choice for me as I use the car on the street most of the time. I am grateful for the softer ride and sport mode is fun on the on ramps. :burnout: Many will recommend LSD as well, it is something I would like to have on my CS.

Enjoy the shopping it is a great part of the experience.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
The hardest part is deciding whether you want to scratch your itch and get something off the dealer lot that doesn't necessarily have everything you want, or wait 4-6 months (or more) to order it exactly to your taste. As you may not get great discounts either way (given Porsche is keeping inventories low), I'd think it's probably not a matter of price, unless you decide to go used or CPO.

The biggest challenge with ordering is that Porsche only allocates a certain number of "build slots" to particular dealers. For my late '08 model (one of the last 987.1 models which had the 2.7 and 5-speed) I had to order my car in July and finalize it in September in order to be assured a November build slot (the car finally arrived in December just in time for the freezing rain). It was definitely worth the wait as I got the color and kit that I wanted. Inevitably you will have regrets later that you didn't order this or that. But it is easy to go crazy and end up with a $90,000 Cayman S if you don't watch out. Happy hunting and car configurating on the web - you will feel like a 12 year old kid in a candy store!! :dance:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Both Chris135 and Engnr1 make good sense. Last June I bought an '06 Cayman S form my local OPC with full PA warranty. It was available, meticulously maintained and with very low mileage (13k) and pretty much fully loaded and in a colour and interior combo that was love at first sight (Cobalt blue /Sand Beige). The only thing missing was an LSD but as I don't track the car, for lack of time and opportunity, this was not such an issue. I've never regretted that decision and have just renewed the warranty ( US$ 1688/-) even tho' I've only done 2000 miles in the year. The car looks and drives as new and I relish the thought that I saved big time depreciation over a new car. You will love the S whichever way you go but should you locate the right used car then bear in mind the savings and the peace of mind that goes with the warranty. Enjoy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I wasn't considering PASM, but I may rethink - this car will mostly be a weekend car as I commute to work on a train everyday.

In term of deals, in the collective opinion do you all think I'll be able to get something off MSRP? Seeing as how this will be an "made to order" car and CS are hard to come by, do you I'll have any leverage? I've contacted 3 different dealers about allocation sports and all three said they will know this week.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wasn't considering PASM, but I may rethink - this car will mostly be a weekend car as I commute to work on a train everyday.

In term of deals, in the collective opinion do you all think I'll be able to get something off MSRP? Seeing as how this will be an "made to order" car and CS are hard to come by, do you I'll have any leverage? I've contacted 3 different dealers about allocation sports and all three said they will know this week.
I do think think that one of those three Dealers will give you something off MSRP but don't know how much. It is still a very bad economy and they would all like your business.

Right now the most important thing that you can do is decided what are your must have options or you will wind up with a $90,000. Cayman S. Be honest and think about how you will the car and what options do you really need. Good luck!

·
Registered
284 Posts
:confused: What's wrong with a $90K Cayman S? After full leather, 19" wheels, PDK, LSD, PASM, PCM, etc, it's easy to get to $90K. :)

If only the MY11 order guide was available…
You forgot the Sport Chrono plus! :banana:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
:confused: What's wrong with a $90K Cayman S? After full leather, 19" wheels, PDK, LSD, PASM, PCM, etc, it's easy to get to $90K. :)

If only the MY11 order guide was available…
I have been driving a 2010 Cayman S for the past 10 weeks and have racked up a total of 5000 km. The car is truly enjoyable to drive and is now just beginning to loosen up. As much as I like the current car, I have found myself wondering what I would change if I were to order a new car now. For daily use on the street I'm not so sure I really need the LSD and the PASM so I might not order those specific features. I would also give serious consideration to ordering stock 18 inch wheels rather than the 19 inch wheels I specified. (Especially if I didn't order PASM) I have a manual transmission but would now definitely now go with the PDK and Sport Chrono+. I would keep every single interior luxury enhancement including the full leather, leather sports seats, PCM and the Bose.

IMHO the only item I would encourage you to seriously consider would be the PDK transmission with the Sport Chrono Plus.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I talked to two dealers and one was able to build the car in their system for me. The MSRP is based off of a 2010, but all of the options are correct. My potential build is below:

2011 Cayman S - $61,500 (2010 MSRP)
Meteor Grey Metallic - $710
P4N - Convenience Package - $2,230
P4W - Infotainment with Bose (Nav) - $3,640
PDK - $3,420
Sport Chrono + - $1,480
18" Boxster S Wheels - $390
Heated Seats - $525
Memory Seats - $1,550
Paddle Shft Steering Wheel - $490

Total Cost - $75,935 with 2010 MSRP or about $77,000 with a 2% increase in MSRP.

In talking with the dealer that did the build in their system he said it would probably be around $1,200 per month, give or take, which seems reasonable.

So I contacted another dealer for an estimated and he quoted AROUND $1,427 per month. This number assumes a 2% increase in the invoice price and no discount. To me that seems a bit high, thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.