Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a lightly used 997S coupe, preferably an 09, and would like some feedback and opinions on the real world differences between the generation 2 and first generation 997's. I'm having a hard time finding what I want in an 09...they seem to be rare right now, but there are lots of 07, 08 deals out there. Are the gen 2 improvements worth waiting for ??

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
The differences between the 997.1 and 997.2 are fairly substantial for a "facelift". First and most significantly is the previous M97 engine was replaced w/ the A91 DFI engine. The new engine has fewer parts and no intermediate shaft in its design. Power was increased from 325 to 345 for the 3.6L Carrera and from 355 to 385 for the 3.8L Carrera S. There have been reports of high pressure fuel pump failures in the 09s as well as increased oil consumption presumably related to the DFI engine design. Overall the A91 is considered to be a substantial improvement over the M97. The PDK transmission was first made available in 2009 so it is not available in the 997.1 generation. PDK replaced the Tiptronic automatic, although Tiptronic and PDK have little in common except the absence of a third pedal for the clutch. Brake rotors were enlarged for the 997.2, although calipers differ between the Carrera and Carrera S. LED tailights were new to the 997.2 and Litronic headlights were made standard. Most 997.1 owners seem satisfied w/ the choice and I doubt that many turned in their cars for a 997.2. That being said it would likely make more sense, unless money is a significant limiting factor, to go for the 997.2.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The differences between the 997.1 and 997.2 are fairly substantial for a "facelift". First and most significantly is the previous M97 engine was replaced w/ the A91 DFI engine. The new engine has fewer parts and no intermediate shaft in its design. Power was increased from 325 to 345 for the 3.6L Carrera and from 355 to 385 for the 3.8L Carrera S. There have been reports of high pressure fuel pump failures in the 09s as well as increased oil consumption presumably related to the DFI engine design. Overall the A91 is considered to be a substantial improvement over the M97. The PDK transmission was first made available in 2009 so it is not available in the 997.1 generation. PDK replaced the Tiptronic automatic, although Tiptronic and PDK have little in common except the absence of a third pedal for the clutch. Brake rotors were enlarged for the 997.2, although calipers differ between the Carrera and Carrera S. LED tailights were new to the 997.2 and Litronic headlights were made standard. Most 997.1 owners seem satisfied w/ the choice and I doubt that many turned in their cars for a 997.2. That being said it would likely make more sense, unless money is a significant limiting factor, to go for the 997.2.
Dave, thanks very much for your input. I'm aware of most of the technical changes, but was unaware of the issues with oil consumption and fuel pump failures. I'd love to hear from you and others on comparing suspension and road feel / handling especially with PASM.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I don't track my Cab, so the best thing I can say about PASM on my car is that I don't detect any vices in the suspension while driving. Normal mode is supple but not squishy. PASM firms up the chasis noticably in Sport, and the car is easier to push hard in Sport, but is still quite soft compared to my previous Cayman S w/ lowering springs. People w/ experience driving both the 997.1 PASM and 997.2 PASM state that the changes made to the 997.2 version of PASM are quite noticable. Sport PASM (available only in the coupe) was new in 2009 and I've read very good reviews. It lowers the car 20mm which is less than most aftermarket systems. I should add that our roads here in South Florida are for the most part very straight and in very good condition, no winter potholes or broken concrete.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the input. I'm actually considering an 09C2S right now that has PASM sport, sport chrono and sport seats. I'm also coming from a Cayman S that is a blast to drive, but looking to move to a 997 without giving up too much of the sportiness I love so much with the Cayman.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will definitely notice the increase in HP. The car you're looking at is well optioned to give the CS a run for the money. Have you test driven it yet?
No test drive....have not seen it in person. I feel confident though about the car..good history and no issues. Here's the car if you'd like to check it out. Options are sport seats, heated seats, PASM sport, sport chrono plus, bose sound, XM radio, mats. Any feedback on price ??

Used 2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S For Sale | Houston TX

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That car is at the dealership I have my car serviced at. I would be happy to take a look and provide feed back if you like.
Man that would be great !! I really just want to make sure there are no dings, scratches, etc on the exterior and no signs of wear on interior. I've been on the fence for a few days now and was planning to put down a deposit soon. I'd be happy to pay you something for your time....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.