Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we know whether Porsche has improved the Gen 2 cars' interior detailing?

I'm not wondering about the appearance--I'm thinking about the tendency of the Cayman's plastic interior trim (and other parts as well, much discussed here in the Forum) to develop squeaky/rustley noisiness. Seems to me that much of this is due to the snap-on (that's not Snap-On) connection used all over the car to hold these pieces in place.

So, does anyone know for sure whether they've improved the interior structural detailing?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I don't think much has changed. The 987 platform shares a good percentage of its parts with the 997, and that hasn't chnaged significantly with the introduction of the Gen II.

Where are you getting the implication that the Cayman has a tendency to develop squeaks? That's not the norm, that's the exception.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take your point; I don't have statistical proof of squeakiness. I readily retract the generalization.

I do also understand that the chassis are virtually the same, the motors new, the mirror/front-rear bumpers/lights tweaked, pdk, limited slip, etc.

But presumably Porsche has made many other less jazzy tweaks over the years. I'd like to know what they are, comprehensively. It's relevant to deciding whether to wait for the 98(?) Cayman, or to go Gen 2 now.

I do understand from several owners, many of whom have posted on this Forum, that interior squeakiness is an issue for some. So I am interested in whether they've changed the interior construction.

Has anyone some firsthand experience in this area to report?

Thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't think I've heard anything about interior bits squeeking but I have read of the rubberized finish on some pieces peeling or rubbing off. Maybe someone with a Gen 2 can shed some light on that. Mines an '06 with 6,000 miles on it so I can't say I've experienced any of those problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my impression is that my 2009 Cayman interior is much nicer...better materials....plastic on console seems more sturdy and better formed over my 2007CS...the plastic bits and pieces in the 2007 seemed to mar much more easily....so while that basic shapes are the same it justs feels and looks much more solid...the 09 black leather seats and steering wheel are much nicer that in the 07...just my opinion for what its worth

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a Gen I (2008) CS. Lots of squeeks and rattles. Still love the car and am not complaining one bit. Porsche had to replace the headliner (lots of broken fastners per the Service Manager) which he said was very common with this model year.

Car still squeeks but not in the headliner area. Just the back of the car.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a generation 1 (2006 CS) with 37K miles and no squeaks or rattles. Except squeaks from the passenger from time to time. Ed

·
Registered
543 Posts
A few things I noticed about the gen II.

1. New Power window switches.
2. More sound damping foam, stuffed in voids around engine bay.
3. Revised underbody paneling
4. Thicker rubber isolation for coil spring suspension
5. More ridgid bumper material
6. More heat shielding for engine & components
7. Lower rear tire pressure (for the 2.9L)
8. Softer seat foam & leather
9. Seat belt stay clips were added (why I have no clue)

More blah blah blah, read of only if you can handle opinion.

After picking up my 07 and dropping off the 09 (loaner), I feel that the 07 has a raw feel compaired to the lux feel of the 09. If you want more luxury feel get the gen II car, if you are into the sport of driver awareness get the gen I.

Almost feels more (dare :eek: say) GT3 vs 911 C2, were my thoughts as I put the first few miles on my gen I after spending over an hour getting to the dealership in the gen II. First corner I took at speed in the gen I made me happy to have it. The constant communication and grip of each tire can be felt as the car rotated with throttle on my gen I. Never felt that with the gen II, and believe me I drove it like a loaner car should be driven :dance:

Speculation for future Cayman...dumb down the next few years of cars, luxury as all get out! Give them (look @ me in my Porsche) what they want. Ipod, cooled seating, chilled console cup holders that will acccept the bucket of soda, hill assist, parking assist, blue tooth, PSM that learns if you are a NUT and refuses to give up. Then release the 2012 Cayman RS!

Ok ok I'm sorry! :hilarious:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. I've not driven a Gen 2; mine is an '06, and I agree with ul2fly; there's no cotton between me and the road. And there is no creaking going on; the body's stiff, stiff, stiff. But there is a certain amount of rustling and squeaking which I take to be the interior trim trembling or rubbing; it's variable depending upon temp. When the car is cold it's worse; after it's nice and warmed up it quiets down. I've removed the rear hatch liner and done some de-rustling in there (put fabric spacers between the male/female spring clip parts) which has helped, but I'm feeling like I should get into the rest of it with foam, tape, felt, etc; I love it when the car is working and not chirping.

If I've one other issue with the car it's that I'd like a little more compliance from the suspension for everyday driving. I know, suspension design is a trade-off, which PASM tries to mitigate. I've not seriously driven a PASM car yet, but I've a sense the result is mixed. Anyway, if I could eliminate the (relatively minor) creaking/rustling/squeaking, which is exacerbated by the stiff suspension, I'd be even more thrilled with what is so right a car in its fundamentals.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is your car an "S" because I've heard they are stiffer and that unless performance is your primary goal the base models are a better blend of performance and comfort.

·
Registered
160 Posts
By the way while I greatly prefer my 09 Cayman to my 07 Cayman S....the 07 had no squeaks, rattles etc at any time during ownership...thus I suspect that a properly sorted out 07 interior should be just fine as to noises, rattles, etc...but not as nice...another difference between my 07 and 09, the older one is tan/beige interior and newer one is black...perhaps the black material is higher grade/more rugged than the tan?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My car is an S; and it's excellent. I'll have to take a close look and lengthy drive in a Gen 2; there's no other way I'm sure. Thanks all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts