Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving more sensibly due to the upshift indicator on the manual gearbox? I just changed from a Gen 1 2.7 to a Gen 2 3.4 and now have a little up arrow telling me to change gears for max fuel economy (happens at about 1800 rpm for each gear).

For normal driving I find myself actually doing it every single time and as a result think Im driving a little more relaxed in general.....something about my car "complaining" that Im not doing something properly iritates me so I oblige!

Luckily it doesnt kick in unless it feels that your just driving normally...

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
We completely ignore the up-shift indicator, especially my spouse. 3rd gear is her favorite, and basically the indicator never thinks you should use it. I hope Porsche spent very little on R&D to include it, because it is completely wasted in a 987. Nonetheless, it is interesting to note that if you think are lugging the engine, Porsche disagrees. They seem to want you to be a gear higher than what I think is comfortable for the engine. So much for the folklore.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My 1995 saturn sports coupe has this indicator so it's hardly new technology. I ignore it because I like driving a bit more spiritidly. Actually it's one of the few things about the saturn that isn't pretty well thought out and value added. I hope it's an option on the cayman so that I can "opt out".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Old 944 models had this exact same shift indicator. They also came with a miles per gallon gage in the instrument cluster.

So far for my 2009 boxster I have ignored the up shift indicator. I average 22 mpg combined driving so I must be mirroring the driving style anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
We completely ignore the up-shift indicator, especially my spouse. 3rd gear is her favorite, and basically the indicator never thinks you should use it. I hope Porsche spent very little on R&D to include it, because it is completely wasted in a 987. Nonetheless, it is interesting to note that if you think are lugging the engine, Porsche disagrees. They seem to want you to be a gear higher than what I think is comfortable for the engine. So much for the folklore.
VW has been using these things for years. If you're in traffic and you don't need and really can't even use acceleration, why not shift? It's true that you have to let the ya-ya's out every now and again to maintain a healthy motor, but when slugging along at a steady 45 or 50 in traffic, why use 3rd gear and just waste fuel?

I spent the first thousand plus miles in my new-to-me CS driving in Normal mode at the speed limit or a little more...because my wife was in the car and I wanted her to be comfortable with this car and like it. She does. :kiss:

That first drive was a great one. You don't have to flog these cars to get the best from them. They're always great. That's one thing to love about them. :cheers:

I think Porsche gets to publish better economy figures if they include this light. Think of it as saving guzzler tax.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Old 944 models had this exact same shift indicator. They also came with a miles per gallon gage in the instrument cluster.
I did a Euro delivery on an 83 944 with those features. The delivery person told me that I could use the arrow for economy or when to up shift for max power while winking with a smile.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
VW has been using these things for years. If you're in traffic and you don't need and really can't even use acceleration, why not shift? It's true that you have to let the ya-ya's out every now and again to maintain a healthy motor, but when slugging along at a steady 45 or 50 in traffic, why use 3rd gear and just waste fuel?

I spent the first thousand plus miles in my new-to-me CS driving in Normal mode at the speed limit or a little more...because my wife was in the car and I wanted her to be comfortable with this car and like it. She does. :kiss:

That first drive was a great one. You don't have to flog these cars to get the best from them. They're always great. That's one thing to love about them. :cheers:

I think Porsche gets to publish better economy figures if they include this light. Think of it as saving guzzler tax.
We're hardly ever in traffic with the Porsches. The silly indicator lights up almost continuously above about 40mph unless you're in sixth gear. Ignoring it is the right strategy, but I understand that some people are bothered by the psychological pressure of seeing the indicator. On a winding two-lane road, like we live on, third gear is a very nice gear to be in. Fourth works nicely if you average about 50mph or more. A lower gear also gives you more control in these situations with additional engine braking when you let up on the throttle.

As for the gas guzzler tax nonsense, that has nothing to do with this feature, in the US at least. A simple indicator isn't enough to satisfy the EPA, you'd need a non-defeatable and mandatory mechanism like GM's obnoxious skip-shift feature they still put in Corvettes. Yuck. Anyway, the 987s aren't in danger of getting taxed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
At first the arrow was somewhat of a distraction, but now I don't "see" it.....guess I'm too focused on what is in front of me. Usually end up short-shifting anyway and end up in 5th.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
They had these back in the 80s on econoboxes with no tach. My 1985 Dodge Charger hatchback (the one that was based on the Omni/Horizon chassis) had one and it was a total joke. It always told me to shift at 2000 rpm (regardless of gear) and again at 3000 rpm. With no low end torque, a total waste. That said, I used to get 40 mpg in highway driving.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
My 997 GT3 had one but the function was different. It only came on as you approached red line at 8400 rpm :)

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
If you want to enjoy the car, smile and ignore it each time. Soon you won't even notice it and eventually, it will give up and disappear.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Driving more sensibly due to the upshift indicator on the manual gearbox? I just changed from a Gen 1 2.7 to a Gen 2 3.4 and now have a little up arrow telling me to change gears for max fuel economy (happens at about 1800 rpm for each gear).

For normal driving I find myself actually doing it every single time and as a result think Im driving a little more relaxed in general.....something about my car "complaining" that Im not doing something properly iritates me so I oblige!

Luckily it doesnt kick in unless it feels that your just driving normally...
You gotta be kidding me....? Did Porsche actually install a shift light....? Oh man.... Welcome back to 1985.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Anyone know if the PDK had the same shift light? I'd be tempted to put a piece of electric tape over it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The recommended break-in specifically states to use a lower gear, especially on hills to limit the strain on the engine. I would think that driving around under 1800rpm would be putting excess stress on the engine unless the road was completely flat and one had no inclination to accelerate... Just my opinion!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I noticed this indicator the second day I had the car. I checked the manual; it clearly states it is recommend to shift when you see the indicator for optimum fuel efficiency. It disappears once you hit the sixth gear. Frankly I do not even pay attention to it.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I had an early '80's Audi Coupe that featured this upshift light. It seemed to think the right gear was one so high that the car would slow on the slightest inclines. Acceleration was non-existant. Downshifting a couple gears was necessary.

The light was bright enough to be troublesome at night. So I simply used wide throttle settings for anything but cruising and ignored it for the rest. Eventually it burned out. Porsche probably used an LED to prevent this from happening.

I wonder if there's more opportunity for Softronic to make for sales due to these driver annoyance features?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I simply ignore it, but it's annoying as it always seems to be present.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts