Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking hard for a used Cayman, but find that my approximate $45,000 maximum price point can buy a very nice used Gen I "S", or a lightly used Gen II 2.9 model. I am undecided. For the same money, which would you choose and why?

- Phil

·
Registered
418 Posts
Assuming spec is comparable I'd go for the more powerful option every time.

Whilst people bemoan the fact that Porsche doesn't make huge changes to it designs with each generation, it can work to your advantage in these situations. The face lift is very minor and personally I think the rear lights on the newer model are a bit feminine... personal views of course.

But heres the bottom line - the spec. Porsche have a HUGE options list and you need to identify those which are crucial to you. For me I simply will not buy a Porsche without 19's, PASM, PCM, Zenons and of course PSE. These are my 'must haves' whereas things like alcantara headlining, BOSE etc are simply 'wants'.... Going through this process may help you identify the right vehicle. But most importantly, take your time and research those options. Nothing worse than realising you cant live without something you could easily of had.

Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I traded my 2007 CS, gen 1 for a 2009 regular C....while the S was nice I don't DE, race the car, wanted a bit more comfort and better interior quality...not to mention iphone/ipod BT integration without butching the car...I am much happier with the 2.9, Gen 2...hopefully the engine issues with the Gen 1 has been sorted out....in sum the Gen 2 looks and feels better built, more refined, quieter....the speed difference for street driving is nominal...mine is a daily driver....plus gas mileage is about 25% better for compariable conditions....

·
Registered
160 Posts
From what I understand the intermediate shaft was an issue on some cars....and the real main seal...RMS....while I am confident that not all cars had these issues...several that I was going to buys used from the dealer ended up having RMS....this was a 2005 911 and a 2006 CS....on the other hand the 2007CS I purchased had a good seal...confirmed when they dropped the transmission to solve a clutch issue....so I am hopeful that all these issues were solved on Gen 2 cars/with the new engine....

John

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
From what I understand the intermediate shaft was an issue on some cars....and the real main seal...RMS....while I am confident that not all cars had these issues...several that I was going to buys used from the dealer ended up having RMS....this was a 2005 911 and a 2006 CS....on the other hand the 2007CS I purchased had a good seal...confirmed when they dropped the transmission to solve a clutch issue....so I am hopeful that all these issues were solved on Gen 2 cars/with the new engine....

John
John, PSM3:

These problems were solved in early 2006. What remained was oil starvation if the car is tracked hard without improvements to the sump and a tendency for the power steering pump to get hot enough to melt its plastic bits and start leaking. That can be solved with an underdrive pulley and a power steering oil cooler. Neither of these two remaining issues affect even high performance street driving, just track driving on hot days for the power steering and long hard turns at high RPMs for the oil issue.

Oh, and one other thing affects both engines, I think. That's the oil separator problem. Turning very hard in the right combination or for a long time results in some oil getting sucked into the intake system and blowing through the cylinders and out the exhaust pipe. This can result in some smoke, rapid oil consumption and low oil levels at the track or autocross...and that can result in oil starvation.

If you look at my signature, you'll find all the cures for all these ills. There are articles on all this on the site.

The new DI S engine seems to have the oiling issue solved. I think the smoke issue is also solved and no one has reported a melted power steering issue yet, so maybe it's solved. I'm not sure if all these fixes got to the 2.9 engine or not.

Again, all these issues are for cars that are tracked, not for daily drivers or weekend fun cars.

I love my 06 S, but if I were doing it and not interested in tracking, I'd get the newer non-S. The updated electronics and more grown up suspension would make that the better choice. There are those who will argue with me on this point. The early ones have a lot going for them.

I would not get 19's on it. I really like the looks of the Gen II 18" rims. The Gen I 18's where not as nice. Tires are cheaper in 18 and there are more choices. Most important, the ride is quite a bit better on bad roads and the handling is about the same, and by that I mean fabulous.

A Gen II with 18s does not require PASM to be comfortable. You need this on a Gen I with 19s and it's nice on Gen I with 18s. 17" rims make the car look like a Toyota. Fugidaboudit.

I love my Bose since I stuffed the subwoofer with pillow batting. See article on this. It costs under $10 to do and takes 20 minutes. I use the stereo a lot now.

The Nav on Gen II is much better than Gen I.

Bluetooth and iPod capability are really great to have on a daily driver.

Both are wonderful cars. If you get an '06, make sure it's a later production date to avoid the oil seal issues.

Another consideration is the trans. If you want to shift, no blood. If you want the automatic capability, Gen II PDK is far more fun than Gen I Tiptronic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The salesman told me that the performance of a Gen II 2.9 is almost as good as the Gen I 3.4. Due to the increased HP and upgraded transmission (PDK).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sixisenuff,

VERY helpful!!!

I seriously doubt I will ever track or autocross the car, so many of the issues of the Gen I cars will not be a problem.

I drove a Gen I car with 18s and 19s, on rough California roads. The 19s are pretty unyielding and would avoid those. I drove a Gen II car with 18" and found it quite firm, but not at all harsh. I liked it better. Harder for me to tell the difference between Gen I and Gen II on 18s. And yes, I like the looks of the Gen II 18" wheels better than earlier wheels. What made the Gen II suspension more "grown up"?

What do you mean by better electronics? Bluetooth, universal audio, touchscreen in center stack? I have never used Bluetooth in the car or an i-Pod while driving, and don't miss, but maybe I would if I had them.

Found a loaner 2009 that I liked, but missing Xenons, which my old eyes would appreciate.

- Phil

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My choice on a Gen I vs Gen II car has become quite apparent with two Caymans under consideration.

2007 Cayman S: Preferred Package Plus, auto climate, 16k miles, warranty ends Jan 2012, not CPO, one owner car. $39,900 asking (private owner).

2009 Cayman 2.9: 6k miles, CPO, warranty ends 8/2015, loaner car, no Xenons. No auto climate. $48,900 asking (dealer).

I want Xenons, but understand even the halogens are probably light years better than my old '98 BMW M3.

- Phil

·
Registered
567 Posts
Personally, I would take the S if it was a frame covered in chicken feathers.

That being said, I drove both and they were both ridiculously good.

I guess what I am saying is, I can't help you.

Good luck.

- RB.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If you really dont need the extra power. I'd say get the Gen II. I think many made the mistake of thinking that they dont need more power at first and then ended up spending $$$ for S like performance!

OTOH, with the Gen II you can get PCM 3.0, UAI, PDK and some other goodies... Guess I cant really help you either :p

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't need the extra power and won't be modifying. Gen II makes sense, but of course considerably more $$$, and the one I am looking at, was a loaner (many drivers).

- Phil

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was in the same position 10 months ago and I ended up with a new Gen II but I was lucky and got the Gen II with a large discount. I got the exact spec I wanted for the same price as Gen I Cayman S with some of the bits I wanted.

For me the 2.9 is the sweet spot (even without the discount) I drove all of the Caymans inc the Gen II S and the 2.9 did it for me. I had the 2.7 Boxter and the 2.9 is night and day different!!!

Drive them both and buy the one that you enjoy the most!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm new to the forum and a Cayman shopper.
So, please forgive the question.
What model years encompass GenI and GenII ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
The salesman told me that the performance of a Gen II 2.9 is almost as good as the Gen I 3.4. Due to the increased HP and upgraded transmission (PDK).
Maybe PDK makes up some of the difference, but 6-speed against 6-speed, it's not even close. There's no mistaking one for the other in terms of acceleration.

·
Registered
719 Posts
2006-2008: Gen. 1
2009-present: Gen. 2

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
You mean the loaner from the other thread right? I think it is fine!

·
Registered
144 Posts
My choice on a Gen I vs Gen II car has become quite apparent with two Caymans under consideration.

2007 Cayman S: Preferred Package Plus, auto climate, 16k miles, warranty ends Jan 2012, not CPO, one owner car. $39,900 asking (private owner).

2009 Cayman 2.9: 6k miles, CPO, warranty ends 8/2015, loaner car, no Xenons. No auto climate. $48,900 asking (dealer).

I want Xenons, but understand even the halogens are probably light years better than my old '98 BMW M3.

- Phil
I went through this same process for a number of months and last week bought the 2009 2.9. I am more than pleased with my choice. I had great concern that I would be disapointed that I didn't have the additional power of the S. However having spent a few days with the non-S it has plenty for public highways-----and that's not even reving into the powerband prior to break in. I would look around for a better deal that the $48,900 loaner. Mine was a new no miles with Xenons, auto climate, bluetooth, ipod interface, floormats and heated seats for $41,900.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts