Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering if there are any new issues with the Gen II gearboxes as one of the sponsors on another forum says they have found a few problems that happen due to the excessive heat during racing.

He says they have seen it on the Gen II caymans/boxters but I thought thought there was nothing new done on the gearbox from Gen I to Gen II....can any confirm this? If there was nothing new done then I do not see this as an issue as I have not seen much on gearbox issues on Gen Is due to racing.

The Interstate Championship people would definateley know if this is an issue or just isolated rare cases.

Anyone with any knowledge on this possible issue? Rare isolated cases or possible issue?

How many Cayman S and Boxster S Racers? - 6speedonline.com Forums

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
According from RonB from the Cayman Interseries Chanpion section under "what have we learned" he says that they have not had any issues with the gearbox so this may just be isolated cases as they have run the Gen II hard on the track including endurance races.

Anyone hear of specific issues that people have experienced or seen?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I totally agree and I am also skeptical until I hear from people that have experienced issues & that it is well documented like the Gen I track issues that were fixed/corrected in the Gen IIs.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I can tell you gen2 runs a lot hotter than gen1. So heat comments in that area do not surprise me.

I also heard a rumor, and I say that because ist not really confirmed, that gen2 gearboxs are different because they now have/maybe, a double syncro now going from 1st to 2nd gear and before was a single syncro. I complained and have found that in gen1 you can sometimes get a 2nd gear "lockout". Only shifting to netural, releasing the clutch and going back to second can fix it. I will need to do sporting events for a year at least to determine if the gen2 is any better. Failing that, unless they are unchanged, I will still be looking forward to the same problem....not.
Yes Im a mine of information...:hilarious:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts