Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was skeptical when Porsche said the new LED spears on the bi-xenon equipped Gen II CayS were enough to serve as fog lights. BUT, this morning in dense fog in Houston, I was convinced!

Turned the lights to regular ON position (night-time, not HOME w/ DRL) and saw a wonderfully clear horizontal line, spreading out about 45 degrees to each side and extending at least one residential block forward. Corners were well illuminated.

And driving in the fog was a great way to see the dynamic steering of the main headlights. Very helpful to turn around sharp corners or bends.

These lights are far superior to the fog lights on both my Volvo sedan and our 2008 911 Turbo.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was surprised when I read it in the OM but if anyone knows about driving in fog it is the Germans as they have some horrible fog and they do not slow down on the Autobahn simply because the visability is less than one meter :)

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I was surprised when I read it in the OM but if anyone knows about driving in fog it is the Germans as they have some horrible fog and they do not slow down on the Autobahn simply because the visability is less than one meter :)
You got that right, brother. The Brits have the reputation for their 'pea soup' fog, but I never saw anything there that wasn't easily surpassed by the German variety. Once there was a 230+ car pile up on an Autobahn near where I lived, the fates just all aligned themselves and mayhem ensued.

More on point, I am glad to hear a report that LEDs are superior. I see them on cars and I'm tempted to assume they are just a gimmick, or for looks. Why bother unless they are better?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Stephen,
How do you know what light was from the xenons and what was from the fogs? I have 08 CS and I get the horizontal line effect from the xenons. I've never been able to tell any effect from the fogs on my car since the xenons are so effective anyway.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have an 09 with bi-xenons........how do you get the bi-xenon main lights on with the fog lights??

I thought it couldn't be done as I can't figure it out......maybe mine has a problem.

When I put the main lights one the fogs are off and when I put the next option to the left (parking lights) its just the LEDs and side marker that are on. Then on the off switch my fog lights are on and act as the daylight running lights.

Is something wrong on my car and are the fogs suppose to light up other than on the off position as DRLs?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
On the 2006-2008s, you pull out on the light control dial one click to activate the front fogs then 2-clicks for the rear fogs. Make sure the dial is all the way to the right with the main lights on.

If you've already tried this and the fogs don't come on, then I'm not sure what to say!

I have an 09 with bi-xenons........how do you get the bi-xenon main lights on with the fog lights??

I thought it couldn't be done as I can't figure it out......maybe mine has a problem.

When I put the main lights one the fogs are off and when I put the next option to the left (parking lights) its just the LEDs and side marker that are on. Then on the off switch my fog lights are on and act as the daylight running lights.

Is something wrong on my car and are the fogs suppose to light up other than on the off position as DRLs?

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just tried that and it only turns on the rear fogs which is just more red LEDs on the driver side tail lights that light up......this is what it says in the manual as well.

Don't think the Gen IIs can have main lights & fog lights on at the same time......if someone knows if they can please let me know.....

Cheers

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I have some Porsche sales literature (The New Cayman) that states "In fact, they (bi-xenons) are so effective that fog lights are no longer necessary." So maybe with bi-xenons on the Gen II the fogs are not really fogs?

·
Registered
444 Posts
yes, the Gen II bi-xenons are amazingly bright and I probably don't need to have the fog lights on as well but it would only be better to have all 4 on at the same time.

I think I read in the manual that with the halogen lights you can turn on the fog lights as well by pulling the light switch out 2 clicks with the mains on but it looks like the Gen II you can't even though its not needed to see better.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The horizontal LED spears with the bi-xenons act like fog lights, providing additional illum to the sides and out. (There are no separate FRONT fog lights with Gen II bi-xenons, but there is still the single rear fog light.)

The way I could tell the difference in the light between the bi-xenons and the LED spears was that, during a turn, only the oval-shaped light stretching out straight ahead would move with the steering wheel. The dynamic steering headlights are helpful as well as fun to watch in action.

The lower round lights on the Gen II (when equipped with bi-xenon) are used as daytime running lights only.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The horizontal LED spears with the bi-xenons act like fog lights, providing additional illum to the sides and out. (There are no separate FRONT fog lights with Gen II bi-xenons, but there is still the single rear fog light.)

The way I could tell the difference in the light between the bi-xenons and the LED spears was that, during a turn, only the oval-shaped light stretching out straight ahead would move with the steering wheel. The dynamic steering headlights are helpful as well as fun to watch in action.

The lower round lights on the Gen II (when equipped with bi-xenon) are used as daytime running lights only.
Thanks for the clairification.....mine work normal.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
At $3500 as an option I decided against it. I'm sure they work great, but the standard fog lights & Halogen's work well.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
At $3500 as an option I decided against it. I'm sure they work great, but the standard fog lights & Halogen's work well.
I know they are expensive... especially considering they are standard on a few quite cheaper brands. Personally, I'll never own a non-xenon car again. There is a huge performance advantage over Halogens. Here in the NW we get bad rain storms and xenons excel tremendously over Halogens in inclement weather. I had the Halogens on my Cayman and always missed the xenons.

·
Registered
444 Posts

yes they are an expensive item and I was lucky as mine was already configured with the bi-xenon dynamic cornering lights and I love them. This is my 1st car with bi-xenons and now am glad the car had them as a lot of the roads in my area are not light so it is good to have. I do believe that if one lives in a huge city and only did city driving that the price for them could be better used elsewhere.

Cheers

·
Would rather be driving
49 Posts

yes, the Gen II bi-xenons are amazingly bright and I probably don't need to have the fog lights on as well but it would only be better to have all 4 on at the same time.
I too thought I was missing something. I even asked the dealer about the "fog lamp" feature that is supposed to be on the car. It advised the horizontal LED lights are the "fog lamps." A pretty weak excuse for fog lights, in my opinion.

Although the xenons are great, I do not know why the running lights cannot be integrated as a fog light feature. Having additional light, especially lower on the car, would be nice while driving in the fog, rain, etc.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I too thought I was missing something. I even asked the dealer about the "fog lamp" feature that is supposed to be on the car. It advised the horizontal LED lights are the "fog lamps." A pretty weak excuse for fog lights, in my opinion.

Although the xenons are great, I do not know why the running lights cannot be integrated as a fog light feature. Having additional light, especially lower on the car, would be nice while driving in the fog, rain, etc.
Totally agree....I wish we could get the DRL/fog lights to work with the main lights. I am sure it is possible to have it rewired......hopefully someone will figure it out and put a DIY article on it!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does anyone know if the halogens can simply be replaced by dropping in a xenon bulb?

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Wabbit,
I bet theres a code that the dealer can put in to do what you are asking. There is a thread here somewhere about gen1 code options for lighting, windows, and locks. Have not seen this for gen2 yet, but I bet someone here knows about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts