Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
560 Posts
Fabspeed was the first to develop a "race" header for BGB Motorsports as they compete in the Continental Tire Series. I don't have this header available on the website yet, but will within the next couple of days, and we are taking orders for sport headers which include 200 cell HJS tri-metallic catalytic converters. Similar to the Mk.I 987 Boxster/Cayman, our Sport Header will bolt directly to the stock muffler system or any aftermarket muffler system designed to fit like the OEM. Price for the new Mk.II Boxster/Cayman sport headers are $2,795. P.M. or email [email protected] if you would like more information or to place an order for the sport headers.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Joe, what are the little "pipes" sticking out where the 2nd set of O2 sensors would go?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had a Porsche aftermarket garage owner that has a lot of racing experience examin my Gen II while it was on a lift for a DE pre-tech......he examined it closely as it was his first Gen II that he had a chance to look under. He was looking at the differences between Gen I & Gen II and commented on the fact that they finally corrected & improved the headers. When I commented on getting a new exhaust, he said don't bother wasting $$ on headers.....I guess he said this because they are well designed.

So maybe the $$ might be better spent else where. Until we get a before & after dyno of a Gen II with new headers we will not know just how much improvement aftermarket headers will be.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I had a Porsche aftermarket garage owner that has a lot of racing experience examin my Gen II while it was on a lift for a DE pre-tech......he examined it closely as it was his first Gen II that he had a chance to look under. He was looking at the differences between Gen I & Gen II and commented on the fact that they finally corrected & improved the headers. When I commented on getting a new exhaust, he said don't bother wasting $$ on headers.....I guess he said this because they are well designed.

So maybe the $$ might be better spent else where. Until we get a before & after dyno of a Gen II with new headers we will not know just how much improvement aftermarket headers will be.
Nah, he has not thought through what he was saying. The biggest increase in torque is gained by removing the set of small in diameter and restrictive cats that are integrated with headers. An article on FabSpeed web page shows only a 7 HP gain of going with their headers over a stock set with cats removed, so "better" header design is worth some, but removing cats should get you 20 ft-lbs. in mid range.

So yes, OEM headers are pretty good, but the cats that are integrated are not. But full disclaimer - this is my theory so far. We need someone to test it out like few did on Gen 1.

But if I ever get Gen 2 car, the first thing I will do is Softronic flash and catless headers. PSE may be next and that would be all.

Tomasz

·
Banned
560 Posts
Joe, what are the little "pipes" sticking out where the 2nd set of O2 sensors would go?
Tomasz, they are oxygen spacers we utilize on our race headers since there is no catalytic converters present. These will keep the C.E.L. off for a period of time, but to be 100% effective in removing a C.E.L. on a race application, you want to have the ECU reprogrammed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If the main restriction are the cats...would it be possible to fit "test pipes" in place of header cats keeping the factory headers?
Used with the right flash/tune to keep the cel off..it sure would be a invisable upgrade. IF true gains are to be made....

Who is going first??;)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If the main restriction are the cats...would it be possible to fit "test pipes" in place of header cats keeping the factory headers?
Used with the right flash/tune to keep the cel off..it sure would be a invisable upgrade. IF true gains are to be made....

Who is going first??;)
The OE primary cats. are within the OE headers. There is no flange to properly create a test pipe.

·
Banned
560 Posts

Who is going first??;)
Trapper with the labor, materials and time for a proper fixture, you should consider our Race headers without catalytic converters. We have these on the shelf and ready to ship.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.