Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the Audi R8 V8?

Found a very clean 2008 with low miles on it..

Considering trading with my 2010 CS.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
560 Posts
If I had the dough, I'd trade up. However, I am partial to the sound of the Audi V10, which is the 2nd best sound I have ever heard on this planet.

·
The 2006-08 Cayman LED spar guy!
6,013 Posts
What do you guys think of the Audi R8 V8?

Found a very clean 2008 with low miles on it..

Considering trading with my 2010 CS.

Any thoughts?
Hello DrKareem,

See the August, 2012 issue of Road & Track. The R8 4.2 doesn't give up a whole lot to the R8 5.2. In fact, I think the smartest move would be to buy the R8 4.2 and if you ever want for more power, apply one of the three (or more) time tested reliable supercharger systems.

Best regards,

Joe

·
Registered
268 Posts
Been there, done that. Don't do it! I did the opposite, moved from the R8 to the G1 CS.

The 4.2L Quattro R8 is a very capable Autobahn cruiser your Grandmother would feel comfortable driving (assuming she could get in it). But driving it is a lifeless exercise. Very little feedback from steering or the suspension. The 6 speed manual,however, is awesome and but the 4.2L is underpowered. This is why we see all the twin-turbo aftermarket kits from Audi tuners. Audi finally got the message and dropped the 5.2L in for 2010 but most enthusiasts had already bought the 4.2L. Additionally, if you're looking for a automatic, you still won't find a DCT in the R8, yet. The old R-Tronic manumatic is a miserable, jerky beast in town. I've heard the next gen R8 will offer the S-Tronic DCT, but I'm not clear who's buying these any more. I waited 10 months for mine. Today, you can find new ones on the showroom floor.

If you like to drive your car (instead of it driving you), keep your Cayman!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
I'd get that other a 991 or 911.
However, I test drove the V8 and it was no quicker than my old tuned up 2006CS. If you want extra go, then you'll need the V10.

I like the MP4-12C.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Moving from a CS to an R8 4.2 would be a step up in performance, but not a huge one. The R8 is similar in many ways to the CS. It does have a more planted feeling and is almost effortless to drive. Although it does have all-wheel-drive, it is rear biased and has very neutral handling. It is such a capable car that it seems much easier to drive than a Cayman with less drama.

Most people think the V8 sounds better than the V10. Either can be altered with aftermarket exhaust if desired. The V10 is an amazing beast. Although it is much faster than a Cayman, it doesn't feel as fast because it isn't working as hard. It feels like you are just cruising along until you look and see speeds well into the triple digits!

The R-tronic is misunderstood. It is not a smooth-shifting dual-clutch transmission. It is a regular manual transmission with an automated clutch. Once you realize you need to lift slightly off the throttle when upshifting, just like any other manual, the shifts are smooth. The auto-blipping downshifts are a thing of beauty. Drive it like you would any other manual transmission, just with no third pedal.

There are a couple differences from the 2008 to the 2009 models. The '08 has red LED displays on the dash, the '09 has white displays that are clearer, sharper, and easier to see. Also, most of the '09's listed for sale will have around 1 year of warranty remaining. I really wouldn't worry too much about mileage. The cars are pretty robust and meant to be driven daily. Mileage is not as big a concern with an R8 as it is with an Aston or Ferrari. Make sure it has the backup camera - it is almost required!

The biggest problem is - to take the next step up is a huge jump! You need to go into Ferrari or McLaren land to improve on the R8.

You will lose some practicality with the R8 compared to a CS. There is less storage space. You will also get more attention - even though it's been out a while, an R8 sighting is still an event.

I say go for it. You can always go back to a Cayman.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Most people think the V8 sounds better than the V10.
I think what you mean is this: most people who already own the V8 think the V8 sounds better than the V10. Most people who still own a 996 think that it looks better than the 997. However, the enlightened crowd on this forum know that the 996 and 997 are both ugly and that the 987 is the beauty queen.

[EDIT] oops, forgot the smiley that shows that my remarks are tongue-in-cheek :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think what you mean is this: most people who already own the V8 think the V8 sounds better than the V10. Most people who still own a 996 think that it looks better than the 997. However, the enlightened crowd on this forum know that the 996 and 997 are both ugly and that the 987 is the beauty queen.

[EDIT] oops, forgot the smiley that shows that my remarks are tongue-in-cheek :D
No, I own a V10 and think the V8 sounds better. Except perhaps at WOT. :burnout:

I was actually looking for a V8. However, I also have a Cayman R and the performance is just too similar. Plus, the dealer made me a great deal on a new V10.

·
Registered
268 Posts
One more thing no one has mentioned is that if you do trade your Cayman for the R8, you're be moving from a highly visible car you may worry about in the parking lot to a car you'll NEVER leave unattended in the parking lot - and if you do, you'll be nervous as hell. The R8 draws an incredible amount of attention both good and bad. If it's important for you to be seen, the R8 is the right car for you. I can take my stealth Carrera White CS so many more places than the R8 (and it was Ice Silver). The Cayman is infinitely more practical and much more engaging to drive. But I suppose everyone needs to own a R8 once in their life...

·
Registered
121 Posts
If this is your daily drive, Cayman.
If this is your weekend drive, R8.
If this is your weekend drive but thought of a V10, used 09 Gallardo.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Performance by numbers wise, the 2 cars will be very close. One UK car mag did a Boxster spyder and R8 spyder comparison and track time nearly identical - the Boxster inched across by tip of the nose. So, upgrade purely for performance doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But R8 will get you the super car status, at a 987 performance level. If that's what you're after... you can't go wrong with the R8.

I'm saving the green stamps for one myself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
OP: how much more would you need to add on top of you trade? i would think that would be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided that it's not worth it.

The r8 is a 2008, my CS is a 2010.

They asked me to pay $25k extra.

Also, the maintenance costs for major service at our dealer here for the R8 is $10k.

Not worth it!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Decided that it's not worth it.

The r8 is a 2008, my CS is a 2010.

They asked me to pay $25k extra.

Also, the maintenance costs for major service at our dealer here for the R8 is $10k.

Not worth it!
At least here in the States, the $25k + your Cayman S is actually pretty good offer. I would actually sell some stocks and take that deal... b/c the average selling price for a 2008 R8 is $90k . The average selling price for a 2010 Cayman S is mid $50's. Give/take 2k either way. That's almost $40k difference between the two cars. Even if you are able to sell the 2010 Cayman S for $60k (which will be very difficult to demand/justify)... you would still be ahead on this deal. Of course, it would be more difficult to justify this "trade" if you still have a bit of payment left on the CS.

As for R8 maintenance... the V8 is the same motor from the RS4. Time tested engine - no turbo to blow, no oiling issues to worry about, etc. It's a solid engine. The only real maintenance item is if you go with R-Tronic where a clutch disk change is about $5 - 6k. I think the avg life is 20k miles - every 2 - 3yrs. Manual transmissions... they will last much longer between services. I'd say standard maintenance of oil change, etc. should not be significantly more than the CS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
now i am too moving from my standard Cayman (we were together 2 happy years) to Audi R8 V8. Both 2008. And both are manual ;-)

·
Registered
841 Posts
The R8 V8 is NOT a performance upgrade over a Gen2 CS, IMHO it's a downgrade. In test after test they have shown that the R8 is more money for less from a performance perspective. If you want a comfortable luxurious interior that is still a mid engine car then the R8 might be your ticket. I have driven the V10 on the track and came away sorely disappointed...I was expecting more from what some call a "super car". Compared to my Spyder, there was nothing super about the R8.
YMMV.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The R8 V8 is NOT a performance upgrade over a Gen2 CS, IMHO it's a downgrade. In test after test they have shown that the R8 is more money for less from a performance perspective. If you want a comfortable luxurious interior that is still a mid engine car then the R8 might be your ticket. I have driven the V10 on the track and came away sorely disappointed...I was expecting more from what some call a "super car". Compared to my Spyder, there was nothing super about the R8.
YMMV.
I agree... comparing by the numbers ... anyone "upgrading" to the R8 from Cayman S/R/Spyder (or even M3 or 911's) will be sorely disappointed. But if there is a group of car enthusiasts who understand the "it's more than just numbers"...it's this group. ;)
Personally, I'd pick the R8 over 911's just because 911's are everywhere. :taunt:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts