Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!

Get the Porsche Side Decal or not?

• Yes

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Neutral

Votes: 5 15.6%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering putting on the Porsche side decal on my 2018 C4. My car has the same color scheme as the one below - white with black wheels. I bought the decal from suncoast in advance of my car arriving home. Now I am having second thoughts on it. The car looks clean without the decal. On the other hand, when I was a kid, I always liked seeing this decal on the Porsches so there is a bit of nostalgia for me which is appealing.

I realize this is another opinion thread and we are all different but I'd like to see/read people's comments.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The decals look right on cars from the '60s and '70s that shipped with them, but look like a nostalgic "add-on" on newer cars. One car in particular that looks WAY better without the decal even though it came from the factory that way is the 987.2 Boxster Spyder. I think a side decal would ruin the clean lines of any 991.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hmm, I started a response saying I don't like sidestripes, but then started waffling. I know I don't like sidestripes that say "Porsche", which looks very 70's to me (like my 74 914), but sometimes white cars are improved by some subtle striping. Someone posted a picture a while ago of a white GTS that had some striping and I thought it looked fantastic, but I can't find the picture and don't recall exactly what kind of striping it had.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like the look on that car, it gives it a bit more character... especially with those black wheels....I've never liked all black wheels, just blends into the tire.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: nojelly and lrcipo

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I am considering putting on the Porsche side decal on my 2018 C4. My car has the same color scheme as the one below - white with black wheels. I bought the decal from suncoast in advance of my car arriving home. Now I am having second thoughts on it. The car looks clean without the decal. On the other hand, when I was a kid, I always liked seeing this decal on the Porsches so there is a bit of nostalgia for me which is appealing.

I realize this is another opinion thread and we are all different but I'd like to see/read people's comments.

View attachment 164905
I don't like it. I think the current 911 is such an elegant-looking car that decals and other badges simply detract from its beauty. I did the model designation delete in my car and had the Porsche logo painted in body color from the factory.

Reactions: wforider

·
Registered
782 Posts
[QUOTEI did the model designation delete in my car and had the Porsche logo painted in body color from the factory.[/QUOTE]

Same as I did!-Richard

Attachments

·
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^

Did you buy a RS car? No? Then no.
Now you are giving me ideas. I already optioned my car to look like a GTS (Wide body, black wheels, Black lettering, PSE, SC, PDLS etc). I just need to put the RS badge on it and black decals for the front brake vents and side air intakes. :)

·
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw this sitting outside a couple of blocks from my house. A fellow car lover. I am on the right track (for me). I am going to apply the decal.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Coupé

·
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I applied the decal yesterday......

I spent a full hour getting the lettering lined up perfectly and level (15 iterations).....and looking back at it from a distance. I had a video camera on a tripod filming it because I was going to post it on youtube......

Then it was time to pull back the backing to expose the sticky side of the decal......

It worked great except the H stayed on the backing. I tried to get it back on the sticky side of the decal and it worked but with a crease in the H. I thought it may iron out with the squeegee after it was applied so I applied the decal. It was crooked and had bubbles in it which I could not fair out. It also had small specks of dirt on the sticky side of the decal because I was futzing with it trying to get the H perfect and it obviously picked up some dirt.

Anybody know of a good place in the Philly area that can put on a decal?

Actual footage of me after throwing away the decal.....

Furniture Room Living room Muscle Leg

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
I think there's a message in here. Somehow, somewhere, and in some way someone is trying to tell you not to install the decals.

By the way, I would resemble the guy in that video if I had tried to install the decals myself, except that they'd be stuck all over me while I was "venting"!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Oh man, I feel for you. I've never tried to install stripes, but I have tackled so many other projects that worked perfectly in my mind, but were disastrous in reality. I don't know how you got it, but I think you stole my video from my most recent misadventure.:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I thought it would look pretty good. I was going to say put it on and if you don't like it just pull it off...to late! Sorry it didn't work out. If you decide to give it another try, I'd go to a good paint/body shop and let the pros do it. Post up some pictures if you give it another shot.

·
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought it would look pretty good. I was going to say put it on and if you don't like it just pull it off...to late! Sorry it didn't work out. If you decide to give it another try, I'd go to a good paint/body shop and let the pros do it. Post up some pictures if you give it another shot.
Will do. Suncoast does say is should be put on by a pro.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
I like the look on that car, it gives it a bit more character... especially with those black wheels....I've never liked all black wheels, just blends into the tire.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I think the black stripe looks great with black or dark platinum wheels, but not bright wheels. I suppose the 911R is the exception, but that has the red or green logo lettering inside the black stripe.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
I think there's a message in here. Somehow, somewhere, and in some way someone is trying to tell you not to install the decals.

By the way, I would resemble the guy in that video if I had tried to install the decals myself, except that they'd be stuck all over me while I was "venting"!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
One thing you can and should do if you haven’t already (I just noticed the example pic in the OP) - buy and install the clear Euro front marker lights.

·
Registered
265 Posts
IMHO the decals look pretty tacky... although the Porsche one is better than the "GTS" decal. Take the failed experiment as a sign!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.