Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting an older Porsche as a hobby / weekend car. This would not replace my Cayman which I plan to keep.

I spent a lot of time researching 914s and have sorta given up on that. Still if one comes up that looks good, I might grab it.

So that leaves, most likely, a 911 - maybe 1980s version SC, or C2 or 964, etc.

Or maybe a 928 or 924 / 944.

Any hints, tips, experience anyone can relate? Waste of money or worth it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
358 Posts
All of those cars are fun to drive (I am partial to the 914), the problem is finding one that has been properly taken care of, doesn't have any hidden rust, and that is being honestly represented by the seller.

You did not include the 356 in your list. The original "vintage" Porsche. But they have gotten ridiculously pricey over the past decade and it is harder and harder to find good mechanics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My suggestion: ask and ask, some 911 years were better than others, air cooled cars had some issue with pre G50 trannies, also issues with valve adjustments, there's a wealth of info here from previous air cooled owners, also try:

Technolab/PedrosGarage: Porsche PPI, Porsche Service, Performance Parts

Pedro can steer you in the right direction, he's a very nice gentleman, and very honorable.

I've been mulling a 911 project myself, I was leaning toward an 89-90 vintage, non turbo car.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have thought about getting a 964 or something earlier. GT Porsche magazine have some great buyer articles.

·
Registered
696 Posts
In any 30 year old car the individual car condition makes all the difference That said- most SCs have long ago had the design flawed clutches and lack of chain tensioner oilers fixed- the later ones and Carreras all had improvements. The 911s grew heavier and more complex and crowded in the engine compartment through the 80s and 90s, but also more comfortable, more capable and far more powerful. They are fun to work on - and to make sure you have lots of fun they require more servicing than new cars.

I had a 914 2.0 for a 3 years a 74 911S for 2 and a 78 9911SC for 30. I think everyone should have one at some point. It was "just right".

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
You just need to plan to spend A LOT of time finding the right car, no matter what your definition of "the right car" is.

I have started down this path a couple of times, and never found the right car at the right time. The last time was a couple of years ago, and I was trying to find an 87-89 cab. Willing to spend top dollar (low $30s) for a "near perfect" car.

The beginning of Nov. 2011 the "perfect" cab was at the monthly Atlanta Cars and Coffee. I had seen it on line, but had just lost interest in the chase and had decided to get the GLK in the meantime. One of my best friends took it for a drive that Sunday morning, and bought it the next week. A great car (he still has put about $3,000 or so into it), owned by a well know local "356" guy. So, I get first right of refusal if he ever decides to sell it.

Although now I am thinking a Targa, but have not broached the subject with my CFO (wife) yet! Maybe even "one in need" but a solid driver.

You do have to be a "dedicated" owner on these older cars. You can see why they were not the "daily drivers" the modern cars are, at least for most people. Even the AC in these cars is ususaly considered "marginally" effective, if it works at all.........

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Got some good advice here.

You just need to plan to spend A LOT of time finding the right car, no matter what your definition of "the right car" is. . .
After taking jpradil's advice and checking the Excellence website I did find a an example (already sold in this case) of what I'm looking for.

So, yep keep looking.

Reactions: stratman

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Not a big targa fan, but that one was stunning!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not a big targa fan, but that one was stunning!
I either want a Targa or coupe, but leaning towards a Targa - this would just be a Sunday driver. I would prefer a coupe for a track car but I don't think I would track an older Porsche - if I ever find one.

This one has the famous G50 transmission as well. . .

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Very nice car - love the exterior color, although not a fan of the light interior (that grey seems to get a yellowing tint to it over time), but I could live with it if everything else was good and it is nice in the sun, nor a whale tale fan on a Targa (although that can be reasonably "fixed"). Ah yes, the "right car" (and why my wife will eventually give in and tell me to "go ahead" knowing good and well, that I have never found a car more than a year old that met my expectations, although that almost bit her a few years ago with a 2008 997S cab I found!!!!).

While in excellent condition (from the pictures at least), with 80,000 miles, I think it would be a $25kish "real" price for that car. When you are approaching the low 30s, I would expect maybe 50,000 miles at most, and even at that, the 30s are really more of a cab price point than a Targa (which tends to be the lowest of the 3 styles). Altough the top end rebuild is a bonus......

On the other hand, when you find the "right car", don't loose it over a few thousand dollars either!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I either want a Targa or coupe, but leaning towards a Targa - this would just be a Sunday driver. I would prefer a coupe for a track car but I don't think I would track an older Porsche - if I ever find one.

This one has the famous G50 transmission as well. . .
Starting to lean back towards a coupe because I'm hearing about creak, squeak, leak, rattle and chassis flex. Too bad because there's one almost as pretty as the one in the above post (1987 metallic blue Targa with black interior) nearby in Monterrey calling my name.

Also got an opinion that the G50 is not all that better than the older 915 transmission, although somewhat more reliable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts