Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing Eibach springs with 3mm compensating plates added. Should drop the car by 1" or 27mm to be exact.

I could not wait for spring and will drive through winter 1" lower. Hopefully we will not have much snow this year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why the 3mm spacers, is 1.2 that much of a difference than 1 ? I too may be installing Eibachs and wondering if the spacer helps performance or just gets the height you want. Who sells the 3mm compensators? How much are you paying for install and alignment? Does the price include springs?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm going to be putting my Eibachs on soon. I've had the springs for months and haven't gotten around to it.
I was going to wait until spring to install but I just can't wait any longer. I'm just waiting for my 15mm spacers.
Post some pics of the final results.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Installing Eibach springs with 3mm compensating plates added. Should drop the car by 1" or 27mm to be exact.

I could not wait for spring and will drive through winter 1" lower. Hopefully we will not have much snow this year.
I had the Eibachs installed with 9 (F) & 9.5mm (R) comp plates. The height end up as:
Front (in.): 13-7/8 (just shy of 2 fingers gap) from 15" (non-PASM)
Rear (in.): 14-1/2" (just shy of 3 fingers gap) from 15-1/2" (non-PASM)

Why the 3mm spacers, is 1.2 that much of a difference than 1 ? I too may be installing Eibachs and wondering if the spacer helps performance or just gets the height you want. Who sells the 3mm compensators? How much are you paying for install and alignment? Does the price include springs?
I have a pair of 3mm compensating plates for the rear perches. If you are interested, let me know... I'll let them go for $15 shipped. They go for about 6 ea. on Pelican Parts. If nothing, they work great to prevent any metal-on-metal contact between strut bearing and the spring.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wasthis mod done to lower the car height, or for performance on the track? If performance on the track what other suspension mods have to be done.

Just trying to get a feel for how this works. I have looked at JRZ, Moton, etc.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Compensators are sold by Porsche and can be ordered in a 3mm and 6.5mm heights. Think of them as stack able bushings to get the height you want. My car came from factory with 4 6.5mm ones installed. I assume all do.

I replaced the semi worn ones out and added the 3mm ones. My intent was to add both the 3mm and 6.5mm ones and cut one of these out later but the installed convinced my against it. Though I am VERY glad I went with the 3mm ones.

I installed the spacers as many have reported Eibachs dropping the car more than the advertised 30mm. I really wanted a modest 20mm - 25mm drop.

I was quoted $400 for install and alignment, and paid $700. (I understand that they underestimated the job, but I am unhappy as I thought that these guys have done plenty of these installs, they did plenty 911s turns out. Lets not comment on this, I will take that up separately.) Springs are ~$300.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wasthis mod done to lower the car height, or for performance on the track? If performance on the track what other suspension mods have to be done.

Just trying to get a feel for how this works. I have looked at JRZ, Moton, etc.

Thanks for any help.
I went with springs after exhaustive analysis of aftermarket suspension options. Considering the high cost of performing the installation itself, I really thought long and hard about PSS9s.

I went with Eibach springs as I felt that the car stock performed quite well, but wanted a little bit more - a bit lower height and PASM like spring rates. I basically wanted PASM Sport if I could get it. Eibachs got me there sans the adjustable shocks.

I did not go with coilovers as they usually require a bit more maintenance, and are likely to clunk (I know that not all clunk, but many eventually do.). Ohh and are about $1,500 more!

Now, this is not a track day or race car. If it were I would go with Penskes. This is a daily driver wearing winter tires at the moment that sees 4 to 6 track days per year. I am also going to keep it for no more than two more years.

So the springs appear to be the right compromise.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have driven the car back from the shop to my home. I took a city street with a 35 MPH limit as well highway. I bet my wife will not notice the stiffer ride. If I did not know about it, I may not have noticed myself. Its really quite plush. I have yet to take a road that is filled with small pot holes. But even stock the car creaked and the hatch thumped on that one. (All that on 17" winter tires!)

This installer likes to have the springs settle for few days before doing a final alignement. So my steering wheel is a bit off, and I am not comfortable pushing the car. So I will share few more comments about these springs over the next 6 months. I am curious to see how they perform at the track.

I like the way the car looks now. It does not seem too low. Seems JUST right. Pictures and ride heigthts will come later. I need to move the car to measure.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I replaced the semi worn ones out and added the 3mm ones. My intent was to add both the 3mm and 6.5mm ones and cut one of these out later but the installed convinced my against it. Though I am VERY glad I went with the 3mm ones.
So, you ended up with 3mm spacers at each corner?
My car (Boxster S with Eibachs) ended up a full inch drop from non-sport springs. That was done with 9mm (3mm+6mm) at each front corners and 9.5mm (3mm+6.5mm) in rear. If you just used 3mm (one at each corner), the drop should be a little more than an inch. I'm interested in seeing your drop height (measured from fender to center of hub) when you get around to it. BTW, my current ride height is posted above.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, here are the measurements:

OEM Springs (Non PASM)

14.500 | 14.500
-------------------
15.875 | 15.875

Eibach Cayman S Springs with 3mm Porsche spacers added on each corner AND brand new 6.5mm bushings (Old ones definitely compressed 1-2mm over time). 15 miles and 24 hours to settle, pre-alignement.

13.750 | 13.750
-------------------
14.875 | 14.750

Delta

0.750 | 0.750 (~20mm)
-------------------
1.000 | 1.125 (~25/28mm)

This is without any ballast in the car.

I am not sure what I think about the change in rake. Front dropped ~10mm less than rear. H&R for example drops the front additional 5mm. But will see what happens after few miles when these things settle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got a 2005 Boxster S non-PASM for my kids to DE in (Green and Yellow). Great car, but stock suspension height is pretty high and there's not much camber.

I know going to GT3 / Cup control arms will get me all the camber I could want, but I don't want to go that far with this car if possible.

I also like the OEM suspension for street driving as the car is used regularly around town.

I know from my own 997 S experiences that the lower the ride height, the more camber you can get with the stock control arms. 997S w/ PASM = about -0.9 degree, while 997 S w/ Sport PASM -10mm height = about -1.1 degrees (10mm lower = -0.2 degrees).

I'm trying to understand what you guys are saying in this thread about compensators. It's sounding like the ride height could be 6.5mm lower just by removing them? So these are just "spacers" to raise the ride height, perhaps to meet US standards?

If so, one option for me might be a set of OEM Boxster PASM springs, which are 10mm lower than stock. So in total you could stick with OEM parts and lower by 16.5mm (2/3 of an inch). I know from my Technik book that the PASM spring rates are 188/228 lbs where the stock ones are 154/188. So, slightly stiffer and 2/3" lower. That would be just fine. In theory, I might be able to get as much as -1.5 degrees of camber due to the lowering?

Thoughts (and if anyone has a set of used Boxster PASM springs they don't need, please let me know)? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm trying to understand what you guys are saying in this thread about compensators. It's sounding like the ride height could be 6.5mm lower just by removing them? So these are just "spacers" to raise the ride height, perhaps to meet US standards?
!
For me, and probably Tomasz as well, the amount of drop/lowering by the Eibachs may be more than I would like (i.e., they advertise 1" drop (from non-PASM height), though some have reported the drop is more around 1.25"). Plus, over time...as springs settle even more with mileage, and your car could end up even lower, resulting in even more clearance concerns with speed bumps and driveway transitions.
It is unclear to me at least why different cars have different comp plates installed from the factory, or that some cars don't have any at all. Some speculates it's to compensate the variance in OE springs from the supplier. Sure, why not?

If your car comes with comp plates, you can remove them to lower the car. I doubt it'll lower the car much since it's unlikely your car has more than 10mm on each perch. You can see what's there by jacking the car up and look for a piece of rubber shim.

Also, do a search on "compensating plate" and you'll find more info on this subject.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tomasz - Based on your reply it sounds as though the Eibachs have created a negative rake on your car (rear lower vs the front). For some reason I heard others say H&R sport does this and Eibachs suppose to be the opposite.

Myself I really can't decide H&R vs Eibach or just spend the $ and go for PSS9's. I don't mind a low drop, really concern about vehicle stance wanting to avoid as much as possible the negative rake.

Would be great to see some pics once the car settles a bit more.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Knight. Yes, as compared to stock - yes. But note that the stock numbers on my car had excessive positive rake as compared to others.

BTW, H&R lowers the front more.

Also, will see what happens after two weeks.

Look for a thread with heights, they are all over the place even for stock cars.

Tomasz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts