Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I recently got a 718 cayman w/ base cayman wheels. I just purchased a set of 20 inch carrera classics off ebay. It says they don't come with TPMS. Do I need to get new TPMS? Also what kind of mid range tires do you guys suggest for these wheels? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If you don't install TPMS sensors on the wheels you will have a constant warning light on the dash. Depends if that bothers you or not. I left them off my track wheels for awhile but last set of tires I had sensors installed. Tirerack is a good source of info on various tires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Porsche TPMS on aftermarket 20s and aftermarket TPMS on Porsche 18s.. I get significant tire pressure swings on the Porsche TPMS (4 PSI in a day) but apparently that actually happens to P-zeros on 20s.

I transferred my Porsche TPMS to my Niche 20s in August and purchased aftermarket TPMS at around half the cost of Downtown Porsche's for my OEM 18s. The first set wouldn't pair and according to Simply Tire (the legit wheel shop in Toronto) this was their first 718, Porsche employs multiple TPMS generations which use different frequencies and the 982 employs a different TPMS model than the 981. At any rate they had the TPMS vendor show up and he had everything resolved a day later - he did have to switch the sensors out.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi everyone,
I recently got a 718 cayman w/ base cayman wheels. I just purchased a set of 20 inch carrera classics off ebay. It says they don't come with TPMS. Do I need to get new TPMS? Also what kind of mid range tires do you guys suggest for these wheels? Thanks for your help!

Congrats on the new car, Graphite Blue is really an awesome color.

Regarding your question on tire choice I personally wouldn't go with mid range tires. IMHO you'd be undermining the abilities of a great handling sports car. Personally, I'd choose the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to enhance the handling of a really great car. I have a 2016 CGTS with the Good Years on them and I'm trying to wear them out so I can get the Michelins..

Search the Tire Rack site for your tire choices.

Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.