Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a VERY long winter, itching to get out to the first DE of the year...unfortunately they had to cancel the originally planned DE at Lime Rock a week ago due to snow still on the track. Rescheduled for NJMP (Lightning) in a couple weeks, so, time to get the car ready. I've had the 981 CS for two years now and have not done any mods other than tires/wheels, car was plenty of car for me as is, but, inevitably then I got the itch for more. Bought some Pagid pads last year but never used them because I found out afterwards about the fact that you can no longer remove the pads from the top of the caliper, and the one time use bolts that hold on the calipers....seemed like I needed to research this a bit more before diving into it. After some research, found the Tarett Engineering brake studs over the winter....just put them on this weekend, pretty easy and straightforward, pics attached, thought I'd share...first time really taking a wrench to the car (besides taking off the wheels)! Can't wait to try out the new pads and get those winter blues behind me! Will anyone else be at NJMP on 4/19 with NASA?

IMG_3638.jpg IMG_3640.jpg IMG_3639.jpg

·
Registered
331 Posts
After a VERY long winter, itching to get out to the first DE of the year.... and the one time use bolts that hold on the calipers........?
I'm not buying that one time use bolt business, thank you PCNA. I did change them after 3 track weekends and MAY do so again, but I'll look carefully at the bolts. Thanks for the tip on Tarret.
Best of weather luck to you on your track weekend!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
It's not so much whether to re-use the steel caliper bolts, it's that over time removing and installing them frequently to swap street/track pads will eventually strip or erode the aluminum suspension threads - grief no one will want. One of the nicest features of a Porsche for track junkies has been the "one minute pad change."
Pitiful that the number crunchers at modern Porsche prevailed over the engineers to abandon the race proven open caliper. The replacement studs are (IMO) a must have for anyone that swaps pads for the track.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Trev450....thanks for the tip....had the fluid changed last year by the dealer before a track weekend (per PCA regs), but did not do it myself so, not sure what they used....its on my todo now!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I put the tarett studs in and they are a much better way to go if your swapping out pads. The factory bolts are junk. The threads are very poorly cut and will eat away at the mounting over time. carl

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I put the tarett studs in and they are a much better way to go if your swapping out pads. The factory bolts are junk. The threads are very poorly cut and will eat away at the mounting over time. carl
Carl, if I could trouble you, what is the link to these?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts