Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As winter approaches here in western Canada, I'm curious what I need to do for my first winter with the Porsche. I have a 2013 Boxster I purchased last January with 40,000 kilometres on it. The dealership I purchased from did an oil change as part of the purchase. I plan on getting a CTEK charger from Amazon and moving it around in the garage once a month to avoid flat spots on the tires. I have put 7000 kilometres on it since purchase.

• Which charger should I buy?
  • Can I just leave it charging for 5 months?
  • Do I need to get an oil change or do other maintenance prior to storage?
  • Do I need to do some sort of leather conditioning?
  • I would buy tire cushions but I see they're $400 USD. I can't afford them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As winter approaches here in western Canada, I'm curious what I need to do for my first winter with the Porsche. I have a 2013 Boxster I purchased last January with 40,000 kilometres on it. The dealership I purchased from did an oil change as part of the purchase. I plan on getting a CTEK charger from Amazon and moving it around in the garage once a month to avoid flat spots on the tires. I have put 7000 kilometres on it since purchase.

I stored my for 2 periods of 6 months at a time when I moved to the UK for a year.

Yes, do an oil change right before storage. Fill your gas up to full or just about enough and put in a fuel stabilizer. You can leave the car on the trickle charger for 6 months to a year. That's what I did and it started up fine when I took it out after. The charger I have is the CTEK MXS 5.0 12 volt charger (it's $99 USD on Amazon). For the tire cradles, I bought yellow plastic tire cradles from Amazon as well. Just search them. I didn't use any leather conditioner and the leather in my car is fine. I kept all of the doors and windows closed.

If you have rat or mice problems, some people suggest putting a circle of dryer sheets around your car and plugging the exhaust with paper or shop towels.

I think it is optional, but after I pulled the car out of storage I changed the oil again and primed it before actually starting it.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
184 Posts

Porsche and others recommend against starting and running for short periods during extended layups. Recommendation is basically get the car ready with fuel stabilizer & charger, etc... , tuck it away, and don't start again until you're ready to drive again in the spring.

Consider a Car Capsule if you have room for it. Helps keep small rodents out of your wiring = $$$$ damage.
Do oil change in fall.
Use fuel stabilizer and drive enough miles to get through the fuel system.
Full tank of gas
And a photo inside the Car Capsule:
1116181108.jpg

·
Registered
2007 Base Boxster, 2013 Base Cayenne
8 Posts
Yes, yes, yes! Porsches are meant to be driven. Order up a set of wheels & tires from Tire Rack and away you go. A Boxster is great in the snow as long as it has the correct tires. And by-the-way, the determinant on tires is temperature not snow. If you are going to drive safely at temperatures below 40 degrees F you need winter tires!

·
Registered
51 Posts
And by-the-way, the determinant on tires is temperature not snow. If you are going to drive safely at temperatures below 40 degrees F you need winter tires!
Absolutely! We don't get a whole lot of snow in Connecticut, but the temps are in the 20s - 40s in the winter. My summer high performance tires basically turn into wood at about 40 degrees, the traction even on dry roads is a small fraction of what you expect. Snow tires stay flexible to much lower temps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This thread is quite the chuckle.

OP says he can't afford 4hun and the masses make suggestions for thousands of dollars options.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
This thread is quite the chuckle.

OP says he can't afford 4hun and the masses make suggestions for thousands of dollars options.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I'm sorry, but he does own a Porsche. Just by virtue of that fact, the OP needs to plan to spend money. If he doesn't have money for snows or even $400 for cushions, I'd suggest he's in trouble. What will happen when he needs to spend $1300 or so on new tires, or even just the $$ for an oil change? What happens when rodents eat his wires over the winter and he receives a $$$ bill to fix?

If he has indoor storage, I'd still suggest the Car Capsule. $459 to fit his car, run the minder through the front, and add anti-critter pouches. Add stabilizer, inflate tires to app. max, stick in the bubble, and he's ready for next year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I can afford $400, I just don't think it's necessary when I can put in a little more work and just rotate it on its tires once a month. I wouldn't mind paying for it if it's going to do something more than just allow me to be lazy.

I can't get that car capsule because I only currently have a one car garage and need to be able to get around the car to walk through. Currently it just stays uncovered in there so I can still access my tools and bike.

I will get the trickle charger you mentioned, I'm doing an Amazon order today, thanks a lot. I will also look at the link you posted, that's helpful.

I booked an oil change at the local Porsche dealership here in Calgary and it's about $400 CAD which isn't as much as I thought it would be. I also asked them to put in fuel stabilizer if I need it. I don't know if they'll recommend that or not. That's scheduled for November 2 and we got our first snow fall today so it doesn't look like I'll be driving it much more this year except to that appointment.

Driving in the snow isn't really much of an option I don't think, though maybe it is. It gets down to -50 degrees centigrade here at times and the snow gets high enough to bury power lines so I'm worried I would do all kinds of damage to the front bumper on snow that turned to ice. Most people here drive trucks so the road gets ruts in it with the middle snow portion quite high and my other economy cars are usually scraping on them so I don't even want to think about an ice chunk ripping the bumper off the Porsche.

If we just got light dustings of snow here it would be too bad but we quite literally get buried in snow. However I work from home and don't really like to go out anywhere on good days so maybe it could work potentially.

EDIT - I also don't have rodents in my garage, I've never seen signs of mice in there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also use a CTEC maintainer ,full tank with stabilizer, but instead of tire cradles I just pump the tires to 40+ pounds. Never any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also use a CTEC maintainer ,full tank with stabilizer, but instead of tire cradles I just pump the tires to 40+ pounds. Never any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I pump my tires up to 50 psi before storing for the winter, and I park the tires on two pieces of scrap carpeting. The tires are fine in the spring. You should not start the engine and move the car a bit to avoid tire damage. Do not start the engine until spring when you are ready to drive it again. I keep a car cover on it even in the garage during the winter. And of course use a battery maintainer. I also use several things to protect it from critters, but you state that you don't have that issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Given the fact you're in Calgary where you get tons of snow and black ice, I would not drive it in the winter. And yes, you can just pump the tires up to a certain PSI to avoid getting flat spots! Just put battery maintainer/trickle charger, have a full tank and change the oil and you should be fine! Don't start the car unless you plan on driving it for a while.

Is your garage heated? If not, does your car come with a block heater? Might be a good idea to plug it in so that your oil doesn't freeze over in -50C temperatures.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I'm in Calgary, and have driven 911s and a Cayman year-round without a problem (you need good snow tires though). Just put the snow tires on my 992 C4 and am ready to enjoy winter driving, starting with the snow coming tomorrow. If you park your car, use fuel stabilizer and make SURE you empty the tank then fill it with non-ethanol 94 from one of the Chevron stations in town. Non-ethanol fuel is more stable than an ethanol blend. Yes, you could leave it on the CTEK for 5 months...no you don't need to worry about flat-spotting if you pump up the tires to 50 psi; even if they are a little "square" when you take the car out of hibernation, a few km at speed and they will go back to their round state.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Given the fact you're in Calgary where you get tons of snow and black ice, I would not drive it in the winter. And yes, you can just pump the tires up to a certain PSI to avoid getting flat spots! Just put battery maintainer/trickle charger, have a full tank and change the oil and you should be fine! Don't start the car unless you plan on driving it for a while.

Is your garage heated? If not, does your car come with a block heater? Might be a good idea to plug it in so that your oil doesn't freeze over in -50C temperatures.

It is not heated but it's connected to my house and my neighbour's house (connected townhomes) so it's usually around 5 degrees in there all winter. It's a California car but I believe the previous owner did the proper import so it probably has a block heater, it's a requirement on Canadian vehicles. Would I need this in addition to the trickle charger? Every day?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I'm in Calgary, and have driven 911s and a Cayman year-round without a problem (you need good snow tires though). Just put the snow tires on my 992 C4 and am ready to enjoy winter driving, starting with the snow coming tomorrow. If you park your car, use fuel stabilizer and make SURE you empty the tank then fill it with non-ethanol 94 from one of the Chevron stations in town. Non-ethanol fuel is more stable than an ethanol blend. Yes, you could leave it on the CTEK for 5 months...no you don't need to worry about flat-spotting if you pump up the tires to 50 psi; even if they are a little "square" when you take the car out of hibernation, a few km at speed and they will go back to their round state.
I don't know if I can find any snow to drive mine in but I do plan to keep driving it as the year continues! (y)

So hey there, how is the C4 working out? I just changed over to my non-summer tires too, for me a UHP All-seasons will do the trick, although they are rated M+S I choose more for their rain capabilities... ;)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I don't know if I can find any snow to drive mine in but I do plan to keep driving it as the year continues! (y)

So hey there, how is the C4 working out? I just changed over to my non-summer tires too, for me a UHP All-seasons will do the trick, although they are rated M+S I choose more for their rain capabilities... ;)
Really enjoying the C4...a little over 10,000 km on it in about 3 months. The 19/20 winters from Porsche are the new P Zero winters, and while there are no reviews out yet they ride nicely in the cold (it got down to -12 here over the weekend) and are quiet and smooth. The true test will be snow and ice, and my expectation is they will do about as well as the last set of SottoZero 3s I had.

How many km on the Spyder? Is it all you hoped it would be? Lucky you; would love to live in a Canadian location where all seasons would get me and a Spyder through the winter. A couple of them were on the lot here a few weeks back for a few days before owners collected them, and to my eye they were much much alluring than the 718 GT4s.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is not heated but it's connected to my house and my neighbour's house (connected townhomes) so it's usually around 5 degrees in there all winter. It's a California car but I believe the previous owner did the proper import so it probably has a block heater, it's a requirement on Canadian vehicles. Would I need this in addition to the trickle charger? Every day?
If it only gets down to 5 degrees then no need. Trickle charger for sure!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts