Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2005 Boxster and it's due for a Smog check.
In order to smog check it the people need access to the engine compartment.
Not sure if it's for a visual inspection or if they need to connect some equipment to it.
So before I go to get it smogged, I need to open the top, take off the storage compartment and then remove the insulation in order to access the aluminum engine cover. I unscrew most of the screws so I have a few left when I get to the inspection station. It's a pain in the ***, but can be done in 5-10 minutes.
I've read a post which shows how to gain access to the 981 Cayman engine compartment and it's far, far more difficult to get to, and special tools are needed to remove trim pieces and what not.
Will it be necessary when smog checking the Cayman 981 to gain access to the engine?
Seems like a nightmare to me.
On the other hand, I read that getting access to the air filters is much easier, just remove the trunk carpeting/insulation.
Would that be sufficient for the smog test??
Peace

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd say you poor Californian's (both because your smog regulations and the shaking earth), but hey...it's gorgeous out there, so :taunt:.

Anyway -- you're right, it does appear hard to get access, and I doubt you'd be doing it in the lot of the inspection station. But, I don't know why they'd need more than the ODBII readings for smog. I suppose if they are looking to see if there's aftermarket equipment? Maybe they'd grant you an exception for a few bucks "tip"?

·
Registered
911 Posts
In MD, while older models used a tailpipe probe, they simply hooked up my 981 to the OBDII port - took maybe 5 minutes. Why not check with your local DMV to find out for certain?

·
Registered
734 Posts
ive done a few smog checks here and all they needed was access to the obd port and tailpipe to clip the sensor to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They are supposed to do a visual check of the engine for aftermarket modifications. I've never heard of a smog place that actually required a Boxster/Cayman owner to access the engine, though. If they give you grief, open the frunk and trunk and tell them that's all you know how to do. If they won't pass you, don't pay and try another place.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
In CA you don't have to remove anything. They can look under the car if they want. Many new cars have big plastic covers on the engine. Couldn't see anything on my 997 and that was fine. OBD and tailpipe is all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm in California, when I had my 2008 Cayman S smogged the tech did not remove the engine cover. The car passed fine. Took about 30 minutes of driving to get one of the warning lights to turn off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did a smog check on my (at the time--since sold) 2008 Cayman S Sport and I was requested to remove the carpeted engine cover (not the inner cover) so that the inspector could see the emission sticker that is located on the inner (aluminum) engine cover. Was a bit of a pain to do, but since I had removed it several times before, not a big deal. This probably varies from inspector to inspector, but that was my experience. At some point, I'll have to take my soon-to-be-delivered Cayman GTS for a smog and do not look forward removing the carpet cover (as mentioned above, the 981 is much more complex than the 987), but perhaps the emissions sticker is located somewhere else on the 981.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Digging up an old thread, but wanted to share my experience today. In California, if you order a car from another state and have it shipped, you have to get it smogged AND verified. The car smogged fine, but when I took it to get verified, the DMV worker couldn't find the emissions sticker and couldn't verify the car. I have to go to my local dealer in the morning to have the cover removed, drive it over to the DMV to be verified, and drive it back to the dealer to put back on.

Pretty f-ing ridiculous.

·
Registered
108 Posts
See if they will take a photo with the cover off and a piece of paper with your name and license # on it to verify instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's a good idea but the DMV is only a mile away from the dealership so at that point it's probably worth just heading over. What irks me the most is having to pay the 45 mins in labor to get the cover taken off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
That, and the fact that the dealer will probably damage some part of the trim during removal, and upon replacing it will add some annoying rattles and squeaks that will drive you insane until the day you sell that darn GTS... Just looking on the bright side here!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Digging up an old thread, but wanted to share my experience today. In California, if you order a car from another state and have it shipped, you have to get it smogged AND verified. The car smogged fine, but when I took it to get verified, the DMV worker couldn't find the emissions sticker and couldn't verify the car. I have to go to my local dealer in the morning to have the cover removed, drive it over to the DMV to be verified, and drive it back to the dealer to put back on.

Pretty f-ing ridiculous.
Just be glad you were transferring a late model vehicle. I had to abandon a car out of state(luckly sold it at a good price) because it had a sticker under the hood that read "49 state compliant." Guess which ONE of the 50th states it did not comply with? Imagine the headache you would have dealt with if you had found that out after purchasing the vehicle.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Can anyone tell us where to go where they do not need to see the engine or sticker. If the car passes the test, what is the problem. What pain in the a**.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can anyone tell us where to go where they do not need to see the engine or sticker. If the car passes the test, what is the problem. What pain in the a**.
To be clear, I'm talking about the "verification" step at the DMV to get a out of state car registered. Smog stations do NOT need to see the sticker for the test itself. Since I ordered my Cayman from an out of state dealer and had it shipped to California, I had to do both things prior to registering the car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am in Oregon. I needed to get mine smog checked since I bought it out of state. They needed to see the CA emissions sticker here too. The guy couldn't find it (I played dumb). He told me the DMV had a way to meet that criteria there. At DMV, the person looked it up on the computer and finished the registration process. No one made me take anything apart.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The Nazis should not force you to take your car apart for their inspection. They should inspect underneath if they need to inspect annaly. One good piece of advice - make sure your engine and cats are fully heated up b4 pulling into the inspection station, and you will be less likely to have a problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I thought I would give an update. Although the lady who processed my paperwork at DMV did not say anything to me, I found out that my plates and registration were being held up. Since the plates had not arrived after quite a while, I called yesterday to ask for an update. The person on the phone let me know I needed to show them that silly LEV sticker... A fella looked up online about the location and called me back letting me know where it was located (I did not tell him I knew that already since he was trying to be helpful). I tried to bargain with him to see if I could get around tearing the car apart to see it, but he was not confident this would be possible. So, I called the dealer to order a spare LEV sticker to just stick it on the front hood to get around the problem of the engine cover removal, but it is at least a two week wait since it is in Germany. Knowing my temp permit will expire in about the same timeframe, I decided to go to the DEQ station to see if begging for common sense to rule the day with this "sticker rule". Armed with the window sticker that has the VIN and the LEV II listed in the description, I asked the guy there to help me out. He was very understanding. He was not sure why a 2015 model year wouldn't automatically meet the standard. I showed him the sticker on the dealer website asked him if he would check the right box for me so I could get me plates. He did. I was both thankful and relieved. I turned in the new inspection form with the "meets LEV standards" on it. Now I am back on track to get this taken care of. I will call the dealer tomorrow to cancel the sticker order. If someone has the time, they surely could buy the sticker if faced with this situation. Nobody from the inspection side really knows where it is supposed to be anyway from my experience.

I am in Oregon. I needed to get mine smog checked since I bought it out of state. They needed to see the CA emissions sticker here too. The guy couldn't find it (I played dumb). He told me the DMV had a way to meet that criteria there. At DMV, the person looked it up on the computer and finished the registration process. No one made me take anything apart.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I guess the moral to the story is don't live in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Could be worse. Recently purchased a new MV Agusta motorcycle from out of state, since there is no dealer in my state. Went to the DMV to register it, and they were unable to locate any information on my motorcycle in their data base. It is a totally legit U.S. spec motorcycle, but apparently the DMV doesn't have data on hand-built Italian boutique motorcycle manufacturers. It would be like trying to register a new Pagani. I got the runaround for a while, and had to take it to weigh it on a certified scale, but I finally was able to get a license plate for it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
This whole situation is stupid as far as I can see. Unless I am missing something, if the car were to pass the test why do they need to see a sticker or check for modifications? This time around I took my car to a dealer who had a discount offer just as I needed to renew my registration. It came to $130 plus 8 dollars for some state certificate.Last time I went to an independent and dealt with the check engine light and error on the computer (which do clear after driving awhile.) It was $20 more than the last time due to the discount. I am all for smog reduction but the Cayman and Boxster are not cars that you can take anywhere to have done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts