Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally pulled the trigger on this ducktail spoiler after seeing it on online for some time, and seeing that there aren't any detailed fitment photos available - I figured I would share some before I paint mine. My biggest concern was the installation with the professional double-sided tape (and adhesion promoter), but after messaging several other Cayman owners who've had it installed for some time - it sounds like the installation is simple and effective.

Overall I'm extremely satisfied with the fitment of the spoiler, as once its installed there is no way to tell that the ducktail is installed over the OEM 987 spoiler (spoiler actuators will be disabled). It follows the design language of the 987 really well, and helps tie the rear end together with bumperettes. I figure worst case scenario is I change my mind sometime down the road, and would have to replace the painted portion of the OEM spoiler to remove the ducktail. Hope this helps others decide if its worth it!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Furniture Hood Automotive lighting Table Automotive design

Automotive side-view mirror Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive mirror

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
8 Posts
Liking this! What is this spoiler made of?
I may get one and disable the unit since I get error codes still on my second spoiler assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the spoiler is 3d printed out of ABS, then sanded and test fit before painting. Pagey I'm not 100% sure I like the look of the ducktail when in the raised position, but I will probably decide after I find some time to paint it.

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
Is there a link to a source for these? And will it fit the Boxster or is there one available for the Boxster (which has a completely different factory spoiler than the Cayman..)?

I did find googling - on eBay: Porsche 987 Ducktail Wing 2005 to 2012 Boxster only | eBay which fits a Boxster, but I suspect it replaces the factory spoiler.

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
Yeah just a preference, although I still need to figure out exactly how to do that. Winter project
It might be possible with an NT530 Foxwell or PIWIS - to tell the car there isn't a spoiler fitted.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
It might be possible with an NT530 Foxwell or PIWIS - to tell the car there isn't a spoiler fitted.
The good news is that 987 spoilers have the option to be disabled assuming the device being used supports that feature.

This isn’t the case on the 981, which requires a workaround of setting the deployment speed up to a ridiculously high value so it essentially never deploys, and to my knowledge only a PIWIS in development mode can do this

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah it’s exactly what I was looking for too! I think it will help the overall backend shape of the car. Here is where you can order. GF987 Ducktail - A Porsche isn’t really a Porsche until it has a ducktail.

it was $890 shipped
Thanks! I found an install video on YouTube. Is the $890 shipped painted whatever color you like as well? I got feal coilovers and front and side splitters this past Black Friday and this spoiler is perfect for my vision for the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts