Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I was very hesitant to buy any performance software due to the fact that none is compatible with Apple Macs... and God knows how I hate the backward operating systems of Microsoft. Nevertheless, I went on and bought the software from FVD.

At first I tried installing it on Windows 7 through Parallels Desktop... but it kept crashing immediately as it begins to read my car's ECU.

I blamed the environment of Parallels Desktop that it may not be stable for the job! So after a long wait I got to use it on Windows 7 laptop. And to my surprise this morning the software crashed immediately upon lunching it after the installation.

My last question before trashing this software for good, is it compatible with Windows 7? Or should I go further backwards to Vista?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
It was my understanding the FVD has some sort of partnership with Softronic and while I know Softronic runs on Vista, I don't know if it runs on Windows 7 or not, you might want to try a Vista laptop (or XP) to double check if it is the operating system or if perhaps you got a bad file and just need to get another.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Hassaan, I'd be tempted to go back to Vista or XP, which you could run through Windows 7 if you have the Pro version because it has a dual system function built in.

Grab a friends laptop with Vista or Xp I say.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
I would think it would run on Windows 7 without a problem. Win 7 is mainly a patched up version of Vista. I've been using Windows 7 at home for a month and it works great.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I would think it would run on Windows 7 without a problem. Win 7 is mainly a patched up version of Vista. I've been using Windows 7 at home for a month and it works great.
Not quite that simple. For mainstream software then there aren't many issues, but for software which is not sold or used in vast numbers then it could be. As an example we have developed diagnostic software based on Microsoft Framework Net 1.1, and although have put updates in so it will run in conjunction with later frameworks, it will not run alone on the latest versions without rewriting the core software.

Many programs that are not a mainstream program are created as per the above and so are not always easily upgraded for the latest Windows OS. In order for our software to work under Windows 7 we need to use the virtual OS function and run XP or Vista. To rewrite is our intention, but not a high priority for us, because there are workarounds.

The above might not be the case for FVD, but I know it is for a lot of small use custom software packages.

·
Registered
317 Posts
HassaanAbdeen:

I am a Mac user too. If you have not already read my FVD flash "story" then you might want to. You can find the relevant post in this thread: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/40149-fvd-flash-story.html.

One point that has been emphasized by Scott is that if you use a MAC to flash the DME—the same holds true for FVD—then you must use Bootcamp to load and setup Vista or XP.

I should add that I received excellent service from Florian at FVD and that my issue was fully resolved. Keep in contact with FVD, and if you do, then I am fully confident that you will be similarly treated and that your problem will also be resolved.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
HassaanAbdeen:
One point that has been emphasized by Scott is that if you use a MAC to flash the DME—the same holds true for FVD—then you must use Bootcamp to load and setup Vista or XP.

This is not true.

I remember thinking the same thing when Scott first made that comment. Back then I didn't have any evidence, but I do now, with FVD anyway. You don't need bootcamp - it makes no difference.

I've flashed my DME several times on a Mac Book Pro running Windows XP from within Parallels. Other than having to deal with typical windows software, there were no issues at all. YMMV. Also, the durametric software works equally well in that environment too.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This is not true.

I remember thinking the same thing when Scott first made that comment. Back then I didn't have any evidence, but I do now, with FVD anyway. You don't need bootcamp - it makes no difference.

I've flashed my DME several times on a Mac Book Pro running Windows XP from within Parallels. Other than having to deal with typical windows software, there were no issues at all. YMMV. Also, the durametric software works equally well in that environment too.
Thank you for correcting my claim. This is excellent information for Mac users who wish to flash their DME with the FVD software.

I was just going by what Scott wrote on this forum some time ago, and he was pretty adamant about it. For whatever reason, my flash process did not go as smoothly as yours, as I reported, but it all worked out fine in the end.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It didn't work with BootCamp or Parallels Desktop, I'm afraid because both were using MS Windows 7. I'll see if I can get my hand on a laptop with an XP or Vista.

On the other hand, when it crashed on Parallels Desktop, it sent a summary report to FVD but I never got a feedback from them except after contacting them personally from my email reporting the problem.

Nevertheless, I consider myself lucky that the crash of Parallels Desktop tok place at the time of data collection and the crash of Boot Camp was as you start the software... otherwise if the crash took place while upgrading the ECU, it would have been a DISASTER !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
After trying Program Compatibility to try running the software on previous versions of Windows, it all led to the same error message I keep getting when using Boot Camp on Windows 7, it says:

"See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'DuraD2xx.dll': A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045A)
at FlashManager.USB.FWVmEZ()
at FlashManager.HexDevice..ctor()
at FlashManager.Porsche..ctor()
at FlashManager.formCheck..ctor()
at FlashManager.formWelcome.FWVmEZ(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MC
Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
ˆ†Žš“—ˆˆŽ•†›’”ˆ
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
License
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
FlashClient
Assembly Version: 2.0.5.0
AxInterop.WMPLib
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Flash%20Client/Flash%20Client%20for%20Porsche/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Flash%20Client/Flash%20Client%20for%20Porsche/Interop.WMPLib.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box."

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey I talked to Scott at Softronic and he says that the latest flash client works great on Windows 7, what version of the client software do you have?
Version 2.05

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Version 2.05
Yeah that's way too old, I think that's your problem you need version 3.4.something, Scott was telling me that, so I'd suggest talking to FVD and/or Softronic directly over the phone and getting whatever version it is that you need to make it work.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah that's way too old, I think that's your problem you need version 3.4.something, Scott was telling me that, so I'd suggest talking to FVD and/or Softronic directly over the phone and getting whatever version it is that you need to make it work.
Thank you very much Ken... but I'm very disappointed for such follow-up and support I should've got from FVD. And since I just bought the software couple of months ago, why did they send me an out of date version!

Thank you again Ken. I'll contact them now.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Hang in there Hassaan it will all be worth it, and I think if it went right the first time you tried then it would have been a short lived mod and you'd have forgotten about it soon after....now you've spent a little longer on it and will savor it longer ;)

It could be that FVD have had no experience with Windows 7 so it is taking them longer to coem back to you, but defiantely a phone call is the best way froward.

Good luck :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hang in there Hassaan it will all be worth it, and I think if it went right the first time you tried then it would have been a short lived mod and you'd have forgotten about it soon after....now you've spent a little longer on it and will savor it longer ;)

It could be that FVD have had no experience with Windows 7 so it is taking them longer to coem back to you, but defiantely a phone call is the best way froward.

Good luck :cheers:
Ok, I have two reasons to like you!
The first is because you have a recorded 289 km/hr that beats my recorded 276 km/hr (actually I hate you for that, I don't like you)
The second is because you taught me how to dune bash... and you bet, I loved it!!! And plan to spend an over night in the Nofood Desert in two weeks time :)

As for the FVD, I'm very much disappointed... but I hope it gets fixed and turns out to be worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
K-Man S said:
God bless you Ken, it turned out that the problem was because of the out-of-date version! I got this afternoon an email from Florian with the latest version and it worked like a breeze on Boot Camp/Windows 7.

After a couple of hours I received my own performance software on my iPhone from Florian. I can't wait to go to the office tomorrow morning and give my Mistress the power drink from my Mac Book.

Thanks again Ken to you and your forum

1 - 20 of 37 Posts