Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All this talk about should I get PASM or x73...just want to throw it out there...

So lately I've been driving in areas where I normally don't go in the city and wow so many problems with scraping the front going it to parking lots! If the car was lowered anymore, it would have definitely led to something more serious. Surprising how this has become a concern as I never once worried about it on other cars, wouldn't (and didn't) consider it on purchase, and thought I'd never have to go in a driveway or speed bump with this problem because my standard routes have workarounds...all false assumptions.

I did a skid test in a parking lot and found that at the limit there is some body roll, but the rear starts coming out at that point because the tires start slipping. You can go as fast as the acceleration will allow you on normal curvy roads without any noticable body roll, but rather tire slip. Unless you track it, IMO it makes zero sense to get the "sport" suspension as the stock is already sport and hard to imagine you'd need anything more. I have a Boxster and Cayman is supposed to be even tighter handling and firmer suspension too.

Comfort-wise... After 8k miles and fair number of rough roads, I have found the suspension softened up. Especially when it's warm out, even with 20 inch wheels, the ride is really smooth...even on bridge entry bumps. Wife falls asleep no problem. I took someone for a ride who is used to corvettes and mustangs...they thought the ride was really smooth. In a way, I do think handling used to be a bit tighter, but maybe that's more to do with tires and fact that it's cold out.

Granted, if I had PASM instead of stock, I would be plenty happy as well. I'd only get x73 if I was going to track it. But still stock suspension works wonderfully and should be IN MY OPINION what anyone "needs" from a porche suspension on the streets as a daily driver.

·
Registered
911 Posts
All this talk about should I get PASM or x73...just want to throw it out there...

So lately I've been driving in areas where I normally don't go in the city and wow so many problems with scraping the front going it to parking lots! If the car was lowered anymore, it would have definitely led to something more serious..
Agreed. If PASM had been available WITHOUT the lowered chassis, I would have ordered it. As it is, after 2 years and nearly 23k miles, I'm still very happy with the stock suspension.

Reactions: Rickyb

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd only get x73 if I was going to track it. But still stock suspension works wonderfully and should be what anyone "needs" from a porche suspension.
After all of 100 miles on my new CGTS over roads of mixed quality, I may be able to disagree with you. The X73 feels just fine to me - certainly far more forgiving then the ride of my wife's Cooper S and not all that much rougher than the 991 turbo's ride in sport mode. Maybe I'm in the honeymoon period in which everything about the car is "beautiful", but I was pleasantly surprised by the ride quality after reading a number of posts about how rough the x73 is on average roads.

·
Registered
782 Posts
"But still stock suspension works wonderfully and should be what anyone "needs" from a porche suspension."

I'm glad I live in a country where I can determine what my "needs" are for myself.-Richard

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
This might sound like blasphemy, but how come there isn't a front axle lift system option on the 981? I almost feel it should be standard equipment on a GT3, with a delete option for the guys and gals who trailer it to the track.

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think it's great that we have these choices! We get to test drive and pick our poison. For no regrets drive them all. I ended up with the std setup and love it for my roads and driving situations. If I lived some where else or had different requirements I might have chosen differently. Then again a stock Cayman S can beat a Pagani Wyra at Monza with the right driver. Or should I say the Stig! Point being a few driving lessons will probably make a bigger difference than a suspension change in over all performance. All these suspension packages are fantastic.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have PASM and leave it on "normal" mode 90% of the time. It does have a great ride. I probably would have been fine with the std suspension but GTS made me choose between PASM and X73 (which I did not drive or consider mainly due to ride height concerns).

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
When I look at the wheel gap of my 981 I wish everyday I had at least the X73. Since I did not get that I am getting it lowered on H&R springs. I am sure the ride will not be as soft as stock, but I can not imagine driving a sports car as jacked up as ours. I know that people lower their car for better cornering etc., but for me it is all about for the looks.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
This might sound like blasphemy, but how come there isn't a front axle lift system option on the 981? I almost feel it should be standard equipment on a GT3, with a delete option for the guys and gals who trailer it to the track.
Std, but delete opt for trailering. Have you ever loaded a lowered car onto a std trailer?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I've always been a big advocate of having a suspension.

Reactions: SCMike and oksailor

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in NJ and have the X73. I have driven close to 6000 miles with it. While I agree that the stock suspension is very good, the X73 is excellent and you don't need to be at the track to appreciate it's crisp turn in, cat like reflexes, better road feel, and lowered ride height. Yes, I scrape a bit going out of my driveway but if you look closely, it is the sacrificial black plastic and not the painted spoiler so it's not a big deal. With care, I can even get out of massive 2-3 foot tiered driveways without issue. I don't find the ride harsh (I like it firm) and have done 5 hour road trips in the car, no fatigue at all. Not knocking OP as I recall when driving the stock suspension car how very nice it was but I feel I get all of those benefits and then some added electricity with the X73 and was very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
505 Posts
"But still stock suspension works wonderfully and should be what anyone "needs" from a porche suspension."

I'm glad I live in a country where I can determine what my "needs" are for myself.-Richard
^ This.

Don't confuse "what I need/want' with "what anyone needs/wants" regardless of topic. They're not necessarily the same thing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Me too. No worry about scraping the bottome of the front bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
So lately I've been driving in areas where I normally don't go in the city and wow so many problems with scraping the front going it to parking lots! If the car was lowered anymore, it would have definitely led to something more serious. Surprising how this has become a concern as I never once worried about it on other cars, wouldn't (and didn't) consider it on purchase, and thought I'd never have to go in a driveway or speed bump with this problem because my standard routes have workarounds...all false assumptions.
So I've been meaning to ask...did you see exactly where you are scraping on the bumper? Is it the plastic flaps just in front of the wheels, is it the black plastic lip that hangs 1" or so below the front of the bumper, or is it an actual painted section?

·
Registered
121 Posts
X73 owner here... recently drove a 2015 Cayman S with Sport Suspension and found it to be less harsh than mine. I'm beginning to think that Porsche reworked the shocks... tin hat on now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So I've been meaning to ask...did you see exactly where you are scraping on the bumper? Is it the plastic flaps just in front of the wheels, is it the black plastic lip that hangs 1" or so below the front of the bumper, or is it an actual painted section?
Having gone from the std suspension to H&R sport mainly for aesthetic purposes, I can confirm the lowered suspension has only scraped the underbelly once in 6 months (protected by a Schnell scrape bar) and typically only scrapes the plastic flaps in front of the wheels when clearance is minimal. I've posted my measurements in the past for anyone caring to compare the reduced clearance between the H&R height and the other OEM options.

·
Registered
257 Posts
X73 owner here... recently drove a 2015 Cayman S with Sport Suspension and found it to be less harsh than mine. I'm beginning to think that Porsche reworked the shocks... tin hat on now.
Maybe that explains it (reworked X73) because I can't figure out why folks think that the GTS sport suspension is too harsh. I find it a perfect compromise between exceptional handling and acceptable comfort.

P.S. My back is 67 years old, so it's not 'cos I'm more flexible than you youngin's. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts