Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Had my 987 Boxster Coated (22 PLE)

Had our 981 Boxster wrapped with XPel and Ceramic pro.

The Cayman S is NEXT....I will likely only do Ceramic pro since we moved out of the country and into town.

All above paid for themselves due to Auto X and bird droppings etc.

Gotta Love those BLUE CAYMANS.

·
Administrator
34,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, time for my 1 year update! It has been about a year since I published the article of applying the Gloss-It EVO Quartz 5H Coating to my GT4 so I thought I would share the results.

I recently attended a track event, and for those who know me, you know that I don't have a tow vehicle, I don't have a trailer, I don't swap out wheels and tires (at least not yet on the GT4), but rather I drive to the track events and drive home. The drive to and from the event is a little over an hour each way. So I did this for multiple days during a track weekend, plus had the car on the track. When I got home the car was pretty dirty, lots of brake dust on the wheels of course, plenty of bug splats from driving hours on the highway. Unfortunately, when I got home I wasn't able to wash the car right away because we were leaving for a vacation, so the car sat in my garage unwashed for a few weeks until I got back. Well guess what, the next day I had a car show to attend!

Normally I would expect to spend a fair amount of time detailing the car, getting the bug and tar splats off, brushing the wheels, etc. etc. Well that simply wasn't the case. I was AMAZED that MOST of the debris on the car simply washed off with the hose, no rubbing, no buffing, just water pressure took off most of the dirt. What didn't come off with water alone easily wiped off with my soapy micro cell sponge. Same story for the wheels. In other words, after a year of driving and thousands of miles later, baked on dirt and grime still came off easier than with any other system/wax that I've used in the past. The results after 1 year (I know the 5H is guaranteed for 2) have been so good that I'm currently looking at doing the Tesla because washing it has become a PAIN as compared to washing the Porsche. On the Tesla I have to rub off bug splats, scrub spots, and go over spots and this is on paint that is in like-new shape on the Tesla, but the difference from a cleaning perspective (and shine) is like night and day, or at least like a good eclipse!

I know there are other brands carrying similar products and no I haven't tried them all but I did talk to a local detailer in my area and we compared notes on these coatings and he liked what he heard about the Gloss-It product enough to want to give it a try and compare it to some others he has used. If he gives me some feedback I will let you know. He looked over my GT4 and said I did a great job with the stuff as far as he could tell and we wondered why more owners don't do this themselves, but he is happy to charge them $$$ to put this stuff on for them.

So in summation, GREAT STUFF, couldn't be happier with the results after the first year, and no complaints.

If you have any questions just let me know, happy to answer whatever I can.

·
Administrator
34,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Did you also apply it on the windows? What about the interior?
I did apply to the front windshield but not the other glass as I was worried about running out of the stuff. I'm not sure where you would use it in the interior???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
I did apply to the front windshield but not the other glass as I was worried about running out of the stuff. I'm not sure where you would use it in the interior???

I have been soliciting bids for clear bra and ceramic coating applications as I await delivery of my 718. Some of the detailers are quoting interior applications as well. Protects against stains and scratches on the leather seats, carpet, dash...

·
Administrator
34,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have been soliciting bids for clear bra and ceramic coating applications as I await delivery of my 718. Some of the detailers are quoting interior applications as well. Protects against stains and scratches on the leather seats, carpet, dash...
I don't see how it would work on leather seats, the suede applicator that I used turned rock hard after the coating liquid dried. Maybe they have some other stuff for the leather but this quartz coating for the paint would ruin leather. All the leather care I've ever read talks about keeping essential oils in the leather and allowing the leather to breathe, I've never read anything about a quartz coating for leather.

I suppose if you had painted surfaces inside the car it would work there, but even plastics usually take different preservatives to try and keep the plastic from fading or cracking such as 303 or BlackWow.

It's probably a good idea to call someone like Rich at Gloss-it and ask him about what this other place quoted you and the proper uses for a quartz coating. HTH!

·
Registered
186 Posts
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/img_7489_400x267.jpg One of the items I noticed about members picking up their new Porsches, particularly GT4's was that many of them were getting something they called a "Quartz" treatment or Quartz coating on their car. Members seemingly were paying thousands of dollars for this coating as well. My first thought was "Why are people paying $2000 for a wax job?". Even the best waxes I've used are gone or severely reduced after a couple of car washes, so why would someone pay $2k for something that didn't last? The answer is they don't. A Quartz coating is not like a normal polymer or carnuba car wax. As I understand it the chemicals in the Quartz coating actually bond with automotive clear coats to form a hardened layer on top of the clear coat. This layer is supposed to remain for a long period of time until it is either polished off or eventually abrades away. (As a point of reference Gloss-It charges $1250 to do 2 coats of 5H on a car, but you can, of course, buy the product from the Gloss-It site and do it yourself as I did)

Think of it as a protection layer for your paint protection layer, or in the case of applying over a clear bra, it provides an additional layer of protection. The coating is also supposed to provide a deeper, wetter looking gloss/shine to your car. With a yellow car it is very hard for me to judge depth of shine like you could on say a black car. I will certainly say that by the time I was done applying 2 coats to my entire car, it was indeed very shiny, but it's also a new car so my paint was not in bad shape to start with.

Continue Reading the rest of the Article Here !
Great share Ken. Glad to see your achieving these killer results :dance: Anyone who has questions feel free to visit our evo quartz ceramic page that includes tutorial videos showing proper application.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Our Evo Quartz Coating is excellent for PPF / Clear Bra and after several years of testing on track cars and exotic car rallys has proven to cut 80% of common road rash in PPF / Clear Bra. I personally drive a modified 2015 Corvette ZO6 wearing the Suntek ultra film and have gone 2 years, 20k miles and 5 exotic car rallys with little to no damage.

We have over 60 authorized EVO PRO9h installers nationwide. Here is a link to the custom gloss it installer/dealer locator. Select from nav bar distributors.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Our Evo Quartz Coating is excellent for PPF / Clear Bra and after several years of testing on track cars and exotic car rallys has proven to cut 80% of common road rash in PPF / Clear Bra. I personally drive a modified 2015 Corvette ZO6 wearing the Suntek ultra film and have gone 2 years, 20k miles and 5 exotic car rallys with little to no damage.

We have over 60 authorized EVO PRO9h installers nationwide. Here is a link to the custom gloss it installer/dealer locator. Select from nav bar distributors.
Thank you for this information. Are there any special discounts to be had for Planet-9rs?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thank you for this information. Are there any special discounts to be had for Planet-9rs?
Usually there are, just call Rich at Gloss-It and tell him you are from Planet-9, the website
How is the product holding up one year later? What type of maintenance have you been doing on the exterior?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts