Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone reverted to stock exhaust after trying a freeflowing type?
I have a Remus with about 500 miles and am getting a little tired of the general buzziness which has erupted in the car since fitting it. The sound from the exhaust is great, especially in the higher rev ranges but at lower ranges the hatchback, the headliner the dash and the doors all have various little buzzes which I just cannot seem to get rid of. This is becoming tiring. I will decide this weekend whether to change back or not.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I've felt your pain. Not on the Cayman, but on other cars. Three others, to be exact. The aftermarket exhausts seem exciting for awhile, but then all of the little side effects get tiring. You would think the Cayman systems would be easier to tune, because there's so little length to them, but I suppose small musical instruments are just as difficult to design as big ones. It's especially easy to go back on the Cayman, because the aftermarket exhausts aren't worth very many horsepower.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
I'd have to agree, 500 miles is too soon to give up on an exhuast, especially an aggressive one (which the Remus is).

I have gone back to stock twice, each time preparing for another upcoming test. Each time I can't believe how restricted the car is up top. But it is nice to have a really quiet car again, for a little while at least.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
I will probably go back to my stock exhaust at some point . . . I love the sound of my Fabspeed at WOT, and appreciate the extra HP it brings, but as a daily driver, I do find the 2K rpm drone a bit tiresome.

The best solution in my mind is some sort of bimodal exhaust like the Capristo (too expensive) or the PSE (no HP improvement) - I know B&B was supposed to be developing one for the Cayman, but I don't think they have it yet.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yes, I keep going back and forth. Catless headers and stock exhaust is a compromise that more and more people are going for. Zero drone, a bit more sound and few more ponies.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I havn't got tired of my Milltek at all . Sounds almost as quiet as the stock exhaust , no more drone than the stock and all the extra power benefits :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd have to agree, 500 miles is too soon to give up on an exhuast, especially an aggressive one (which the Remus is).

I have gone back to stock twice, each time preparing for another upcoming test. Each time I can't believe how restricted the car is up top. But it is nice to have a really quiet car again, for a little while at least.
hey gator,

are you doing a review on the maxspeed soon?

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
hey gator,

are you doing a review on the maxspeed soon?
I have a speedART waiting at home for me (I am in Germany right now). I come back on the 15th, then I start a test of the speedART.

I heard one of these at Croctoberfest and I was very intrigued because it had a very unique sound. I expect it to be much different in regard to resonance and drone than the rest. We'll know soon.

When I'm done playing with the speedART, I'd love to try the Maxspeed, but these things aren't cheap so I need to find a way to sell one, or whip up some cash.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like there is a mixed response on the buzz and drone and how much individuals are prepared to accept in terms of irritation versus performance gain. I owned a Lotus Elise for 24 hours before realizing that I could not put up with the incredible din from the engine, gearbox, tires, chassis, etc - you would think that the guys who write the test reports in the car magazines would pick up on this and comment, but they seldom do. The same is true of these free flow exhausts - the drone is well discussed but the buzz and general increase in noise in the cabin is seldom mentioned.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
712 Posts
Has anyone reverted to stock exhaust after trying a freeflowing type?
I have a Remus with about 500 miles and am getting a little tired of the general buzziness which has erupted in the car since fitting it. The sound from the exhaust is great, especially in the higher rev ranges but at lower ranges the hatchback, the headliner the dash and the doors all have various little buzzes which I just cannot seem to get rid of. This is becoming tiring. I will decide this weekend whether to change back or not.

my first thought upon reading this post was the physical mounting points and how well they isolate the exhaust from the chassis / body.

I just finished installing my borla (really, 15 min ago - the tires are still off the car) -- and one thing I was struck by was the vibration isolation offered by the stock mounting cradlle, not used by the borla.

The borla uses the two mount points on either side of the transmission - and they supply dense rubber isolators which sandwitch the corresponding mounting point on the exhust.

the bolts pass thru all this: (from top down) isolator, exhaust mount, isolator, transmission-top mount -- and the hole in the borla end of things is extra wide so that the bolt won't contact the exhaust at all; there is an isolator between the exhaust and the transmission.

The point being that vibration - especially higher frequency buzzes - may be preventable by isolating the mount points.

ymmv,

-PM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to let you know 500 miles is probably not enough to burn in an exhaust. The vibrations will go down more after about 1-2,000 miles, or get it really hot.
100% agree, I would give it at least 1500-2000 miles before making a decision. The exhaust is JUST coming into its own and the Remus is a solid setup, I think you will be happy if you stick with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Just to let you know 500 miles is probably not enough to burn in an exhaust. The vibrations will go down more after about 1-2,000 miles, or get it really hot.
100% agree, I would give it at least 1500-2000 miles before making a decision. The exhaust is JUST coming into its own and the Remus is a solid setup, I think you will be happy if you stick with it.
Can someone please provide an explanation as to the mechanism for this in a baffle-style muffler - I can perhaps understand that some change may occur over time in a glass-packed exhaust, but I think that most mufflers available to our cars rely on baffles or something similar to work. I don't see how you can "burn in" one of those. :confused:

A fellow member's theory is that after 1000 miles, you just start to get used to (i.e. tune-out) the vibration/drone/etc. :D

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
What about sot deposits on inside of the muffler? I am reaching here...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Gator:

I just installed the similiarilly looking Cargraphic. The sound is very strange. Glass half full - Ferrari, half empty - Civic. Only drove it for 15 miles. Will check for leaks, etc. But doubt there are any.

Will dyno it this Saturday.

Tomasz

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
After a couple of years I've not tired at all of my SpeedArt on my daily driver CS. Appropriately rumbling idle and a distinctive throaty roar at moderate to WOT, but nice and quiet when cruising. No complaints from my wife either unless I get into the throttle.

Despite SpeedArt's advertised and supposedly dyno supported 11 WHP gain, I don't detect any performance benefit on the track (although it definitely sounds faster). I bought it for the sound and haven't been disappointed. In my experience loud exhausts get old fast.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Eons ago (in this same galaxy) when I did the then mandatory exhaust "upgrade" to various 911's it was similar to boat ownership. The best day was the day installed and the very best day was taking it off and returning to stock. Since my last aftermarket exhaust I'm sure the changes have been positive but I sure understand the OP's comment.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
All of which makes me very happy that I paid the extra for the Capristo system. In normal driving it doesn't seem any louder than stock but at least for my taste has better tonal qualities. And yet louder when wanted. I think I would have tired very quickly of an exhaust that was loud all the time.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
"Too poor to buy cheap things" may have been the best Capristo advice. I am coming to a conclusion that Capristo is THE way to go. But, I am starting to like my Cayman Type-S ;-) .

And if you have not heard a Honda at redline, then you would think its a Ferrari.

T

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can someone please provide an explanation as to the mechanism for this in a baffle-style muffler - I can perhaps understand that some change may occur over time in a glass-packed exhaust, but I think that most mufflers available to our cars rely on baffles or something similar to work. I don't see how you can "burn in" one of those. :confused:

A fellow member's theory is that after 1000 miles, you just start to get used to (i.e. tune-out) the vibration/drone/etc. :D
I'm not really sure, but if true, I would imagine the metal is becoming annealed due to heat build up, and annealing is a softening of the material due to heat cycling.

Another way to look at it is loss of temper.

The net effect if this occurs is that the resonant frequency of the structure would likely change as a result, towards the lower frequencies.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts