Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this?

Spent a weekend in europe and decided that if I'm going to keep the car as a daily driver (no track) then I need a less firm ride. I currently have 19" sport design and am running with PASM (but obviously not in sport mode). Looking at moving to standard 18" Cayman S type, UK roads are just awful, I read that Cayman ride difference 18" to 19" without PASM is quite noticable, is the difference as acute with PASM cars?

oh, and what is the process of getting the 18" wheels? am I looking at a straight swap for refurb 18" for my 19"s or will I have to buy the 18"s and then sell the spare 19"s?

thx for reading, hope you can advise.

Andrew.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Andrew the roads here in Kalifornia are bloody awefull too.The work crews dig-em up and patch them back together. ANY car with so much as a hint of performance suspension is in trouble....More sidewall would definitely help and then again so would a four wheel drive truck......:beer::):cheers:

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
Has anyone done this?

Spent a weekend in europe and decided that if I'm going to keep the car as a daily driver (no track) then I need a less firm ride. I currently have 19" sport design and am running with PASM (but obviously not in sport mode). Looking at moving to standard 18" Cayman S type, UK roads are just awful, I read that Cayman ride difference 18" to 19" without PASM is quite noticable, is the difference as acute with PASM cars?

oh, and what is the process of getting the 18" wheels? am I looking at a straight swap for refurb 18" for my 19"s or will I have to buy the 18"s and then sell the spare 19"s?

thx for reading, hope you can advise.

Andrew.

Actually, I've gone the other way, from the narrower 17" (on the 2.7 model) to 18" S wheels. I don't have PASM, but the consensus seems to be the base suspension is a little harder than the "normal" setting on PASM. The 17's supposedly have the most sensitive steering and the least choppy ride, thanks to the big sidewalls/narrower profile. However, I am pleased with the 18's - just slightly more firmness over bumps and cracks, but terrific grip, and the steering is still wonderfully responsive even if the car is less tossable with the wider wheels.

Coming from a 19", I'd guess you would see an improvement in ride with the 18's. Plus the wheels weigh less!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well I've experimented with going from 18" to 17" then back to 18" on standard suspension. The difference was seemingly small 18-17. You no longer drove around with gritted teeth playing dodge the pothole, wincing at everything. Also road noise was dramatically reduced. But overall I didn't think the difference was that big.., until I went back to 18's. Driving the car now on 18's is borderline unbearable in comparison. This is when you really appreciate the difference.

Sadly the 17's I got to try it out were a cheap set of Boxster S Gen1 wheels and the offsets and tyre sizes are all wrong. So I'm tolerating the 18's until a good set of Gen II Cayman 17's turn up. On the upside, when I do track some down, I will have a set of near mint Cayman S 18's with excellent tyres on them to sell.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,774 Posts
I moved from 19s to 18s, there is a little softer ride due to the wider profile. I bought a set of non-OEM 18" Sport Designs, you can find them on Ebay for around $700 US.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I will be going from 19 to 18 for my daily driving next week. I have driven in 18" track wheels before, but I do not consider that a good comparison because track tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup) have much stiffer sidewalls.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey guys, I have a set of 18s for sale in the uk. Mint Carerra IIIs from a 997, if anyone's interested then please let me know. They fit a Cayman/987 perfectly on the front (Same size as standard front wheels exactly) and need a small spacer on the rear, as they're 10" wide. PM me for more details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.