1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going from 20" to 19" wheels, in order to be able to do a PDK within budget:

How about this:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PFK1YNH4

Same build as before, but instead of spending $3,120 for 20" Carrera S wheels and $880 for satin wheel paint ($4,000 total), I did the same build with $1,560 19" Boxster S wheels and $185 Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crests, which frees up enough in my budget to be able to afford a PDK ($3,200).

What I am not able to budget for, is the Sport Chrono ($2,370). I'm still not sure that I understand this option completely, but I think that the only thing I'll be missing is the throttle mapping, and I'm not sure that this is that much of a big deal- 100% throttle is 100% throttle, whether I have Sport Chrono or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I find that the standard transmission mounts are an issue, I'll simply install urethane inserts or stiffer aftermarket transmission mounts. This is an X73 (Sport Suspension) build with Sport Seats Plus (2-way), and the car will get Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires as soon as I wear out the OEM tires, so I think I'd be willing to simply live with full-time sporty modified/aftermarket transmission mounts and any NVH issues that go along with them.

The PDK would make the vehicle more versatile, as Mrs. X73 would be able to drive it when needed. She was quite smitten with the PDK in the car we test-drove. She can drive a stick, but prefers a car with two pedals. I just purchased her a 2015 BMW with the 8-speed paddle-shift transmission, so I can't think of a situation where she would HAVE to drive the 981, but this would make it a lot easier if circumstances indicated it.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Re: Going from 20" to 19" wheels, in order to be able to do a PDK within budget:

IMHO, 19 wheels look much better on 981, because 20" have too much gap between rotor/caliper and the rim. It looks a bit disproportional. So you are all good there.

Are you sure you don't want sport design steering wheel? Especially with PDK?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Re: Going from 20" to 19" wheels, in order to be able to do a PDK within budget:

Not only will the 19s look better aesthetically (Carrera S wheels being cool aside), but you have more tire choices with the 19s than with the 20s. In theory it'd be more comfortable as well, but I've zero complaints of X73 on 20s on New England roads.

As mentioned above, you ABSOLUTELY want the Sport Design steering wheel with PDK. Otherwise you get push/pull "ears" on the front of the steering wheel, whereas only with the Sport Design Steering Wheel do you get paddles. You can see the difference if you use the 3D configurator. I can't think of anyone who prefers the ears. The Sport Design wheel is worth the $490 as it's much more expensive to replace it after the fact ($1000-$1100 plus installation).

Sport Chrono also adds Sport Plus. For a PDK car this adds launch control (which to be honest, I've never used), and Sport Plus offers a different stability control setting to let the car be a bit slidier than normal (which is already pretty slidey with X73). The throttle mapping does make the shifts feel firmer and the response feel sharper, though admittedly it's slight (except for the PDK shifts, which do feel nice and aggressive). It's certainly not something I'd consider "mandatory" (unlike Sport Design Wheel for a PDK car).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

If she can drive manual trans, here is the code I like
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFWBRZP4
Everybody has their preferences, and some are more important than others. For me, this build code is a lot more attractive than what u selected, even tho there are only a couple items different.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Definitely go with 19 inch wheels. 20 inchers came standard with my car and the lack of tire sidewall makes the ride too stiff for the shitty roads in my area (New York City). I ended up buying 18 inch OZs and using them with all-season tires all the time except for track days. And yea, the rear brake rotors look puny on 20 inchers.

Definitely get the sports steering wheel with PDK. The standard push/pull setup is infuriating and looks like crap. You definitely want the paddles. And yes, I've driven both types of PDK implementations at various Porsche events (I'm a die-hard stick guy for my own cars) so I can speak from experience.

SC is kinda pointless in a manual car but with PDK you get launch control (also kinda pointless) and (I think) the ability to hold revs to redline in auto mode (of some value if you don't paddle up and down the gears).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Another vote for 19" wheels, your brakes looks bigger, more selection of tires and it's cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Another vote for 19" wheels, your brakes looks bigger, more selection of tires and it's cheaper to replace.
agreed, and its a simple way to save some serious coin on the car build.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

My car came with 20" rims and for winter, I went with 19" OZ Ultraleggera rims and noticed the ride was less harsh.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts

My car came with 20" rims and for winter, I went with 19" OZ Ultraleggera rims and noticed the ride was less harsh.
That has nothing to do with the wheel size. It has to do - first of all - with the increase in sidewall height (if you maintained proper sizing) and - second of all - with your tire selection.

·
Registered
274 Posts

My CS came with the standard 19" wheels that are very comfortable to ride around in VA/DC/MD area. The design of the Boxster S wheels do look better than the standard CS wheels. Trying to decide with I want to do the inside of my wheels with black plasti-dip to stop trying to get all the brake dust off each cleaning.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

I don't like the lobsters either. But I am glad to stick with reasonably small wheels on a small car, it can quickly look bad (trying too hard) with wheels belonging to a bigger car. I also think that leaving a good chunk of rubber visible looks more like meaning business instead of boulevard.

I am a fan of O.Z. wheels. I would just get whatever Porsche wheels are "free" and shelf them if it is a lease and get my own favorites. I have the Ultraleggera and I have seen the Formula HLT on a Cayman at the autocross just yesterday and they looked awesome - if you like the only color and the red accent they come in. Porsche's lobster wheels don't do it for me.

·
Registered
295 Posts

Generally this is pretty subjective, but I think a lot of people find the 20" Carrerra S wheels to be the best looking rim for this car. If they had offered this wheel design in 19" I would go that route, but I have no issues with ride quality on 20" on X73 suspension and I've driven on some bad patches of road in Toronto.

Originally I was going to go aftermarket and I browsed every single page on the forums, but most really do not look that nice. The only wheels I was going to consider was HRE FF01 and after conversion in Canada was going to run me around $6000 with tires.

At the end of the day, getting the rims you want and PDK might be the difference of eating out one time less a month. If you are saving up for a car like this and don't plan on getting another car anytime soon, I would pull the trigger and get what you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts