Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know is subjective but interested to hear from people who have gone from 987 Cayman S to new 981 Cayman S or GTS - what your experience been?

I have a 2006 CS and looking for a change.

Thanks
JK

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Can't say anything on subject - 981S is my first Porsche, but I think you deserved a change. It's been 9 years. And 981 will be a change allright! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I drove both and stuck with the original 987 as it has more raw feel. If you want more comfort or sophistication go with the new car but you will give up raw feel. The 981 added bigger wheels, longer wheelbase and more advanced chassis components, as a result there's more car between you and the road. The 987 feels like older cars from the 1960's and 70's where you just had a seat, simple chassis, and an engine... more reliant on a driver's skill to be fast. The 981 was faster but easier to drive with all its advancements in engineering, so it takes some of the challenge/fun away for me.

In a street car, too many of my friends confuse faster or newer with better. I say drive both and then ask yourself which is more fun for the way you drive?

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I may have an approximately similar situation that I can draw on that will perhaps help. I had an 08 Cayman S, and a Cayman R. I now have a 981 Cayman 2.7L. I have used them all as DD. For me, I had moved from the CS to the CR because of all the writeups et al saying what a great car it was and, to be candid, I wanted to own the baddest Cayman available........... However, I found that for me as a DD, I actually had preferred the 08 CS. So, when I had the opportunity to test drive a 981 I did both in CS and 2.7L form. In both cases, I found that the 981 had a more integrated feel, stiffer and just felt right. Being honest with myself, I found that the 2.7L with PDK was the ideal combination for me as a DD. (The previous two were both 6MT). So, is it worth it? Personal choice but I do find that the 981 is, for me, the best of the three that I have owned to date.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I may have an approximately similar situation that I can draw on that will perhaps help. I had an 08 Cayman S, and a Cayman R. I now have a 981 Cayman 2.7L. I have used them all as DD. For me, I had moved from the CS to the CR because of all the writeups et al saying what a great car it was and, to be candid, I wanted to own the baddest Cayman available........... However, I found that for me as a DD, I actually had preferred the 08 CS. So, when I had the opportunity to test drive a 981 I did both in CS and 2.7L form. In both cases, I found that the 981 had a more integrated feel, stiffer and just felt right. Being honest with myself, I found that the 2.7L with PDK was the ideal combination for me as a DD. (The previous two were both 6MT). So, is it worth it? Personal choice but I do find that the 981 is, for me, the best of the three that I have owned to date.
+1

Coming from a 987 to a 981 myself, I am so happy with the new design ALL AROUND!

Sure...I would love the letters on the trunk to say BOXSTER "S" but...I am convinced that the BASE is more than enough for me, my wallet, and my ability to keep my drivers license.

This is one of the only cars that feel like I am part of. The 987 chassis is indeed more "raw". However, the 981 is more refined. It seems to unify itself with the driver and I like that. JUST MY OPINION mind you.

As I have stated before (previous posts). I considered a 987.2 Boxster S but then drove the 981 2.7. I was done.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I know is subjective but interested to hear from people who have gone from 987 Cayman S to new 981 Cayman S or GTS - what your experience been?

I have a 2006 CS and looking for a change.

Thanks
JK
I'm going from an 07 base to a new Cayman GTS. Here's my take. I was thinking of a new car in a couple years, but: 1) the older I get the less time I would have to enjoy a "new" car, 2) in a couple years we may not be able to get a Flat6 NA motor (I'm sure the new 4 cylindered-turbo cars will be stunning and the marketing will be non-stop about "intelligent performance", etc. ) and 3) for me, I am getting to "need" an automatic -- just can't manually shift in a sporting fashion these days.
So -- time to update to the next car. And up-ing to the GTS gets a whole lot of performance and sophistication over the base 2007. Granted, the early 987's had that simple is cool feeling, but I'm willing to deal with PDK, X-73 suspension, PTV, about 100+ HP, sport exhaust, etc. Yea, I can do that for a "change".
not sure if that helps you, but that is "my" story.
D

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
OK, this is from the Boxster perspective...

I started in a base 2003, moved up to a base 2006 and now I have a 2013-S, each car IMHO was a step up not only in handling but performance and sophistication! I can't think of a single reason (well OK, one... $$$) as to why I would rather have the previous car now that I have owned it successor. Seriously, even considering the money I spent on the 981 it is quite simply spectacular, easily the best car I have owned. Everybody looks or want different things, and I can say that I have modded many cars to get things that I wanted that was available on the latest model, in the end I did have more power and even HID lights but it wasn't quite the new model.

Each time I moved up I reviewed what I had done in my mind, each time I was happy with the conclusion, and each time it was the right thing to do. I may soon be at a cross roads now though, I am waiting to see what the 981 Spyder will be, depending on 'that top' and if it has a 3.8l engine will determine my next car. I am rather cold on the idea of a turbo-4, if they make a 3.8l available for 2016 in a Boxster I will likely buy another Porsche, otherwise the new Corvette convertible looks sweet!

As you have a Cayman and I suspect that you want to stick with a hardtop then either the GTS or for me it would be the GT4!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
From a 986BS to a 981BS: love the 981 including the extra legroom, which prevents my backaches.

Neither has that simple feeling to me; for that I have my 1.7 I 1971 914.

But I haven't driven the 914 much since getting the 981.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I hope in the near future I will give a detailed review of my 987.1 CS to 981 C-GTS transition, to be titled "the good, the bad and the ugly" but that will have to wait until the unsatisfying winter tires/wheels come off, and what is left of the break in is finished.

What I miss the most: The sweet mechanical engine noise coming from behind my head. The 981 is much quieter in the cabin, especially at lower RPMs, where the car is Lexus quiet ( or so I would think, relatively speaking, never driven a Lexus). I now understand why you could have an expensive sound system as an option, struck me as ridiculous until I had a 981. As the you pick it up in RPMs what you hear in the 981 is mostly the exhaust note, which is much more pronounced and sportier than the 987. For me it is most pleasant with sport plus on, sport exhaust off: good tone, warm burbles put no crackles and pops.

What I also miss: The communicative feeling supplied by the hydraulic steering and standard chassis of the 2006. I don't mean handling, but what your fingers feel on the wheel, the way the road surface is conveyed to your fingers on the older car. That is lost.

Most else is a plus.

In order to maximize the change , I would seriously consider you get the GTS, so have the sport exhaust to play around with, the sport chrono with rev matching (if MT), and PASM to tighten things up (or X73 if your roads are smooth). I regret not adding PTV for added traction.

Reactions: blue_omg and sdj

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses - not made it any easier though :) , I guess its a good problem to have.

I understand the comments about "rawness" having driven both but leaning towards pulling the trigger on 981 GTS, my next issue is should I stick to manual or go for PDK. Have tried with PDK and it was pretty damn good but in order not to lose to much feel and keep it a drivers car thinking should stick with manual....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went from a 2008 CS manual to a 2013 Boxster base with PDK. The transmission blew me away when I test drove it. The legroom was a lot more comfortable for my 6' too. Base engine sounded great. But after about a year, I found myself driving it like an automatic too much and felt I wanted to be more involved. I can't drive the manual as well as a PDK will but I like having to pay attention more. I traded for a 2014 CS with PASM, PTV and sport chrono. My mistake costs some money to get back to manual but I enjoy driving it more. I do like the added torque of the S coming from a stop and the better acceleration.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I went from a 2008 CS manual to a 2013 Boxster base with PDK. The transmission blew me away when I test drove it. The legroom was a lot more comfortable for my 6' too. Base engine sounded great. But after about a year, I found myself driving it like an automatic too much and felt I wanted to be more involved. I can't drive the manual as well as a PDK will but I like having to pay attention more. I traded for a 2014 CS with PASM, PTV and sport chrono. My mistake costs some money to get back to manual but I enjoy driving it more. I do like the added torque of the S coming from a stop and the better acceleration.
But the PDK is good if you are driving with a cup of coffee in one hand, because it it's impossible to get the cupholders out without crashing.

More seriously, I was unhappy about losing the go cart feel of my 05 BS. There is definitely more of a limousine feel in the 981. I think the steering does have a lot to do with that. But I drove a 981 at the Porsche driving school for a day and was completely blown away by the cornering limits. I simply couldn't get myself to even squeak the tires. So I am making the $witch. And while I was at it, I decided that modern times demand PDK, especially with so many gears to sort out. I got the paddle shifters and plan to shift it myself a lot. Hope I made the right call, but I have had manuals for 30 years now, so it might be time for a change, just for variety. I could let you know more in a month.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
To address your first question of whether it would be worth it to go from a 987 to a 981, I'd say it's worth it if only to get rid of the IMS bearing issue. I realize the percentage is low and the subject has been beaten to death but given the option I would. Too bad the GT4 isn't an option as I would say, in that case, it's definitely it's worth. :)

As for PDK vs Manual. I learned with a manual at a very early age, I just can't see going any other way. I know this is no comparison but I have paddle shifters in my Mazda 6 and thought it was cool at first but I never used it after the first couple times. Maybe b/c it's not a Porsche. :)

It's definitely a good place to be to have all these choices.

Good luck!
-Moto

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
I went from a 987 to a 987.2 to a 981. Both of the 987s were great cars but I prefer the 981. The 981 handles like it is on rails.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Thanks for the responses - not made it any easier though :) , I guess its a good problem to have.

I understand the comments about "rawness" having driven both but leaning towards pulling the trigger on 981 GTS, my next issue is should I stick to manual or go for PDK. Have tried with PDK and it was pretty damn good but in order not to lose to much feel and keep it a drivers car thinking should stick with manual....
In my original response I specifically stayed away from the manual vs PDK discussion, but I should have said in every case I choose a manual.

Well put and I found the same thing after some time spent with the PDK, no argument that the PDK is a great transmission, but I don't want to be just along for the ride, never made a good passenger which is how I feel with the PDK. I very much enjoy the full involvement I get with the MT, sorry it is just not the same with PDK. (FWIW I have driven the 981,911, Cayanne and the Panamera with PDK on the street and track).

Oh yes and +1 for the S and increased torque it provides over the base.

·
Registered
290 Posts
we have both a 987.1 base Cayman and a 981 Cayman S. My girlfriend prefers the looks and feel of the 987 and I prefer the 981. As others have pointed out, the 981 has a more refined feel and has a softer ride. The only thing I like better on the 987 is the steering feel. It has a direct connection to the road that the 981 lacks. For me the 981 is better overall.

as for manual vs. PDK... If I was a professional driver being paid to produce the fastest lap times I'd get a PDK. But unfortunately nobody wants to pay me to do that :) I drive for enjoyment, and for me, a manual delivers the engagement and enjoyment that I buy a sports car for.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It seems like we have one of these threads every month. It's simple really, do you have the funds? If so, do it, you will not regret. You will learn to love any flaws that the 981 might have. The looks and handling of the 987 never made me move from my SLK, one drive of the 981 both Cayman and Boxster, made me say good bye to a car that I've owned for eight years, modded to my personal taste, European delivery, long road trips, autocross, track days.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts