Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
image.jpg image.jpg

I have been watching a 2014 Boxster S at the nearby dealership for several weeks. I haven't considered trading my 2008 CS for the soft top because I've been told that I can't fit golf clubs in the trunk of a Boxster. I play about 85 rounds per year and putting clubs in the passenger seat would not be acceptable to me. New Orleans has many beautiful days to drive topless, so I demo-ed this Basalt Black BS for the day. I was able to fit my entire bag of 14 clubs in the trunk and photographed them for documentation. (I never seen photos of a full set in a 981 B) First I took the fairway woods out of the bag and laid the on the floor of the trunk, then placed the carry bag with all the irons in second. Lastly I placed the 46" shafted driver in separately. It all first easily with room for shoes, etc.

now comes the hard part.... Should I sell/trade my beautiful 2008 CS for the new 981 BS which drove wonderfully?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
gee I don't know .... were the clubs happy in there? if so, then the answer is a definite "YES" if the clubs weren't happy in there then it is time for a new set of clubs:hilarious:

Reactions: swessels

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I guess it's ok if you don't mind taking your clubs in and out of the bag twice/round (170 times/year). Mine typically stay at the club, but when I do carry them, I just lay mine in the back of the Cayman and go. When I want the "wind in my hair" (what's left of it), I just shut off the climate control and open the windows. I had a convertible some years ago and unless it was early in the AM or late in the evening, I found myself trying to cover up with a hat/sunscreen. If you are spending that many hours out in the sun playing golf, do you really want/need more exposure while driving the car to and fro? I worry about skin cancer and like the shade offered by the Cayman.

P.S. I have the same driver. Hope you hit yours straighter than I do. Cheers!

·
Registered
221 Posts
it seems that the rear trunk of a Boxster can absorb a golf bag. Not really sure we can achieve the same result with a Cayman... I need to try.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. Your thoughts on excess sun from driving topless and spending the day golfing is well taken. I probably should avoid the excess sun exposure in a car as I can't stop my golf addiction. It's just that the 981 Boxster is so beautiful when the top is down.

I also wanted to document the fact that a full set of golf clubs can be stored in the trunk of a 981 Boxster. I've not seen a set photos of such previously.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Many thanks for posting this. I'm also affected by a golf addiction and very much hope I can fit my stand bag in the Cayman I'm picking up today in the same way you have in your Boxster.

It's the first thing I'm going to try when I get home. I'll post some photos whether it works or not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I first got my Boxster I took the time and trouble to take them out of the bag and load them in the trunk. Now, I just lay a towel on the passenger seat, throw them in and go. (Unless I am running errands before I get to the course, in which case I do load them into the trunk so as not to tempt a less than trustworthy individual to walk off with them.)

My friend has a Cayman S and we can load two sets of clubs in his hatch. Quite a dance to unload them from the bags and lay them out just so, but it does work.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
it seems that the rear trunk of a Boxster can absorb a golf bag. Not really sure we can achieve the same result with a Cayman... I need to try.
This was a big point for any purchase of a 981. Seems that laying the clubs East-West is way more difficult to do in the Cayman than in the Boxster -- some strange protrusions in the trunk area -- it may not even be possible at all. BUT, it is totally doable (photos exists as proof) just laying the carry bag North-South over the engine hump in the Cayman. So, had to buy the car!
D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmmm - golf and 981 Caymans does not seem to go together as well as golf and 981 Boxsters.

There is no way my stand bag will fit east west in the rear load area with any clubs in.

It will fit in north south on top of the engine hump, but when I close the car's rear lid, it pushes down on the golf bag quite a bit (this didn't happen with the 987 Cayman, which seems to be more golf-friendly in the back). Also the rear visibility is affected and I'd be a bit concerned about the bag moving around during cornering unless it was strapped down, not to mention the prospect of it shooting forward in the event of a sudden stop.

I resorted to taking every last club out of the bag, laying the irons and putter down east west in the rear load area, squeezing the bag on top of them also east west, and then placing the 'woods' north south on top of that. Not very convenient, but it doesn't take too long.

When I get tired of doing that, I think I'll resort to the suggestion in one of the posts above to put a towel on the passenger seat and put them on that.

1.jpg 2.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
Actually, the only way I found to carry my golf bag in my 981 Cayman is by putting the bag next to me (so on the passenger seat). Probably not the best way, but for sure the only option (in my opinion). So can't take any buddy with me! :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no difficulty putting 2 carry/stand bags in North-South direction in my 987 CS. They fit easily. (Without emptying the bags) The lid closes easily. The head rest will stop any forward movement. Shoes, etc go in the frunk. Visibility is limited but I don't care because my buddy and I are driving to the golf course in a beautiful mid-engine sports car. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you opt for a smaller diameter stand/carry bag, I'm sure you would have no difficulty putting your bag in North-south position. 981 is a bit more cramped in the rear, (than the 987) but it should work.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Great topic. I've looked at the trunk of a 981 Cayman and didn't think it would hold 2 bags. I need that option since my buddy and I swap driving to the occasional distant course. I can get 2 bags in my Cayman (with a lot of work). On days when I'm driving by myself, I'll take the Boxster. The lack of handling 2 golf bags will hold me back from purchasing a 981 somewhere way in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Need to carry the clubs is a deal breaker for me also. But, another 981 owner offered this photo of how he does it.. without much difficulty. DSC_0481.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
Need to carry the clubs is a deal breaker for me also. But, another 981 owner offered this photo of how he does it.. without much difficulty. View attachment 53660
Interesting... I believe my bag is too big to reproduce the same. Need to change the bag, then. Should be less expensive than changing the car :hilarious:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts