Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange comparison as both are so apart. The new features are at least worth comparing.
I recently traded in my 'ol 2007 Mazda 6 for a new 2015 Mazda 6 (touring) which is my daily driver.
Immediately I began comparing my 2014 Cayman base.
Comparing the performance, power and acceleration would be pretty stupid (as you would already know) but other FEATURES merit mentioning:
E-brake: The Mazda 6 has nice E-brake handle on the center console were god intended it to be.
In the Cayman, the E-brake is hidden LEVER hard to reach under the dash like a 1960 Ford Falcon.
Ignition: The Mazda 6 has a nice START BUTTON (Unfortunately hidden behind the wiper stalk).
In the Cayman, the strange shaped "KEY' must be inserted left of the steering wheel. I still can't get used to this. Where's the neat START button? Not this year.
Keyless entry: In the Mazda 6, the key fob is in your pocket. All you need to do is push the button on the door handle to open and push the start button to start the engine.
In the Cayman, you have to push the fob in your hand and fiddle with the key to start the engine. Old school. Old tech.
Audio: In the Mazda 6 it takes 15 seconds to the audio turns on after pushing the on switch. This drives me crazy!:crazy: Reminds me of radio tubes! Mazda makes a big strike on that one!
In the Cayman, the audio is instant on with a button, that god intended!
Blind Spot Monitoring: Really cool for Mazda 6! I love that feature that warns you (visually and beeps) when there is a car on your blind spot.
As to the Cayman, you got to live with blind spots (which are very obtrusive in the Cayman)
Clock: In the Mazda 6, the digital clock is buried in the lower part of the dash. By the time you found it, you have hit a car stopped in front of you. I hate that location.
In the Cayman, it's easy to spot the clock without diverting your driving! Plus for Cayman.
Back-Up Camera: Part of the package of the Mazda 6 touring. I use it a LOT!
I WISH I had a back-up camera in the Cayman.

So you can see, the 25K Mazda 6 has more 'features" than the 60K Cayman!
Yeah, I know. When I take the Cayman on back roads or on the track, I don't care about those features!

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Strange comparison as both are so apart. ... So you can see, the 25K Mazda 6 has more 'features" than the 60K Cayman!
You think the electronics on a Japanese 4 door sedan has superior electronic widgets than a Porsche selling for more than twice as much? You find this surprising from a company that sells a CD changer? :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do miss the keyless entry/exit/start feature from my Megane 265. I spent the first month walking away from the Cayman assuming it was locked. I even left the key in the ignition one time!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Both backup camera and keyless entry are available on 981 (at least for 2014). I actually like the notion of turning the key on the left to start, even with keyless, on the Porsche because of the historic nature of that design.

Porsche offers the lane drift/change warning electronics option on other models. I suspect we'll see those on the 981 too soon.

My son has a Mazda 6 and I don't much care for how "cheap" the interior feels. And he's had to do a lot of maintenance on the car as it began to age.

It was good to read your comparison. Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I do miss the keyless entry/exit/start feature from my Megane 265. I spent the first month walking away from the Cayman assuming it was locked. I even left the key in the ignition one time!
Porsche is behind the curve on tech related to the user. Always has been.

Everyone is looking for different things I guess. I have some older cars and the lack of electronics in them is like a breath of fresh air. No distractions.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
A few notes:
1) Porsche hides the e-brake, because they don't want you to use it. That the only conclusion I came up with. After trying to get used to it for a few month, I gave up and just park in gear. Problem solved

2) If the mirrors are setup correctly - there really no blind spots on 981. I'm able to see whole rear 180 via my mirrors.

As for the rest - yes, modern japanese and korean cars are much more technology advanced than our 981. My wife's 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe with techno package has everything you can dream of and then some. But all that does not substitute for a feeling you get when driving a 981.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2) If the mirrors are setup correctly - there really no blind spots on 981. I'm able to see whole rear 180 via my mirrors.

As for the rest - yes, modern japanese and korean cars are much more technology advanced than our 981. My wife's 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe with techno package has everything you can dream of and then some. But all that does not substitute for a feeling you get when driving a 981.
Agree with all of that. I set my mirrors up angled out more than most people are used to so I can't see my sidepanels in the mirror, but I know they're not going anywhere... And my daily driver is a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with tech package. It has so many more features than my 2015 Boxster, but, well, it's doesn't and won't ever drive like a Boxster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts